Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New FTC Wonder Woman, Hippolyta, and Nubia?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rayray
    • May 21, 2013

New FTC Wonder Woman, Hippolyta, and Nubia?

Hey folks,

In reading today’s Mego Museum News, I was delighted to read that they’re doing a new Queen Hippolyta figure. Here are some observations, and I’m curious to hear others!

Accompanying this item were pics of a new Diana Prince and Wonder Woman sculpt...both quite distressing looking. Diana Prince in particular looks like Rhonda the Bad Seed and Linda Blair had a baby.

All in all the character selection and costume designs makes it look like this is an 8” interpretation of the 1970s Mego 12” series. (Yay, if they look cuter!)
    The Wonder Woman costume looks like an 8” interpretation of the original Mego 12” Wonder costume. The Diana Prince suit has anchors on the lapels...making this a Navy WAVE uniform instead of the first series’ USAF uniform.
    On the back of one card is an image of...Nubia! Hmmm...

I wonder what the relationship is between this planned set and the long-awaited Lynda Carter / TV series set? Why do this series as well as the TV show, unless the TV figures aren’t moving forward?

The mind reels.
    -Ray
    Last edited by rayray; Mar 5, '21, 5:11 PM.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Add to that the non military issued open toed sandals on freaky headed Diana
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TRDouble
      Permanent Member
      • Jul 10, 2012

I initially gave a long rant about the new Wonder Woman and Diana Prince figures, from the faces to the body choice, until I read RonnyG's post which made the same connection to the Mego 12" dolls that you mention. That altered my view, to the point where I respect what FTC is trying to do here, but that doesn't excuse how badly the execution appears to be, specifically how the head sculpts look. I still want to see how Nubia and Queen Hippolyta turn out, but I think FTC did a really nice job on the modern Cheetah and Silver Swan, so these are a bit of a step backwards to where we were headed with the Wonder Woman series. Again, heavily dependent on how Nubia and Queen Hippolyta turn out. I think we can guess Steve Trevor will look more like the Mego 12" doll.

It also would have been interesting if they just made 12" Repros of the WW line, instead of trying to downsize them.

Anyway, I see WW and Diana as passes. Interested in seeing Queen Hippolyta.

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by TRDouble
        I initially gave a long rant about the new Wonder Woman and Diana Prince figures, from the faces to the body choice, until I read RonnyG's post which made the same connection to the Mego 12" dolls that you mention..
        Yes, I did notice her face resembles the old 12" Mego doll face. Would like to see a larger pic, but it might help if they give her red lipstick. I didn't even notice the lack of bendable joints, so she does look more doll-like this way. Would be really cool if they re-created the old Mego Paradise Island playset to go with the line!

Comment

• rayray
          • May 21, 2013

Originally posted by TRDouble
          I initially gave a long rant about the new Wonder Woman and Diana Prince figures, from the faces to the body choice, until I read RonnyG's post which made the same connection to the Mego 12" dolls that you mention. That altered my view, to the point where I respect what FTC is trying to do here, but that doesn't excuse how badly the execution appears to be, specifically how the head sculpts look. I still want to see how Nubia and Queen Hippolyta turn out, but I think FTC did a really nice job on the modern Cheetah and Silver Swan, so these are a bit of a step backwards to where we were headed with the Wonder Woman series. Again, heavily dependent on how Nubia and Queen Hippolyta turn out. I think we can guess Steve Trevor will look more like the Mego 12" doll.

It also would have been interesting if they just made 12" Repros of the WW line, instead of trying to downsize them.

Anyway, I see WW and Diana as passes. Interested in seeing Queen Hippolyta.
          indeed! Although if Hippolyta looks like the other sculpts, yikes.

Comment

• rayray
            • May 21, 2013

The playset would be an instant buy for me, regardless of how the figures look, ha!

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by rayray
              The playset would be an instant buy for me, regardless of how the figures look, ha!
              I think I would, too. Just by themselves they're sorta "meh," but give 'em a Paradise Island playset and Bam! they start to look more appealing!

Comment

• monitor_ep
                Talkative Member
                • May 11, 2013

Diana Prince needs glasses, closed toe shoes, lipstick, and earrings and some makeup.
                Diana Prince.jpg

WW needs lipstick, makeup, earrings, boots with the white markings
                Eagle breast WW.jpg

Vintage Mego Diana Price to compare
                vintage Mego WW Diana Prince.jpg
                Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• RonnyG
                  Career Member
                  • Apr 23, 2014

I don't see a lasso in the package either.

Comment

• rodkeith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 16, 2008

I know we're giving FTC the benefit of the doubt on these as trying to look like the 12" Mego, but these two figures are extremely easy passes for this Wonder Woman fan. If Nubia and Hippolyta are in the same style then a guaranteed buy from me for those characters won't be happening either. Come on, they should be improving these figures as time goes on, not making them worse!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Every time I see that Diana figure I think of this
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by RonnyG
                        I don't see a lasso in the package either.

Even just ordering this for the costume, that is goin to need some work done to it.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

Also, with the lack of articulation or bendable joints, can we really call these action figures? The bodies look similar to the old Hasbro Charlie's Angels dolls. Too bad, FTC can't get a deal with Walmart or Target, and put them in the girl's aisle for $15 or less. They'll probably be $29.99 on their website.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Looks possibly like new boot-molds? AAR, I like these because I know I can put the duds on other figures with nice results.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• rayray
                              • May 21, 2013

Originally posted by RonnyG
                              Also, with the lack of articulation or bendable joints, can we really call these action figures? The bodies look similar to the old Hasbro Charlie's Angels dolls. Too bad, FTC can't get a deal with Walmart or Target, and put them in the girl's aisle for $15 or less. They'll probably be $29.99 on their website.
                              What’s interesting to me is, the 1977 12” dolls could bend their elbows and knees. These seem like downgrades. And I am still wondering if these figures will take the place of the expected Lynda Carter TV figures.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎