X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I'm Tapping Out- No More Avengers Comic Books

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this. I guess I needed a little catharsis among people who might have a sympathetic ear.

I have always loved the Avengers. Even when I "grew out of superheroes" and didn't really pay attention for 20 years. My original Avengers comics were the only thing I kept from my Superhero days in the 70s. When I reentered the superhero world in the very late 90s, I broke out my Avengers books and decided to collect 'em all. I returned to the convention circuit and raided the dollar boxes for 80s and 90s books. I paid a bit more to fill my 60s and 70s holes and also picked up ANY book with Avengers in the title (Avengers Spotlight, Avengers Timeslide, Avengers Fairy Tales, Avengers Academy, etc.). I now have EVERY Avengers labeled comic I'm aware of, except Avengers #1. I was even hitting the comics store twice a month to pick up the most recent Avengers titles.

I've grown weary of plot after plot saving not just the Earth or the entire universe, but of saving all the Earths of all the universes. Its kind of sad, actually. Buying Avengers books always took me back to navigating my Huffy doe Newportville Rd to the 7-11 for a comic book and Superhero cup filled with mixed cherry & cola Slurpee. After collecting almost 60 years worth of Avengers titles, I'm giving up. I can't justify the expense when the passion is no longer there. It no longer brings me joy.
    Last edited by Wee67; Mar 24, '21, 9:56 AM.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I was done when they let Wolverine in. That line up was close to the worst one. Tops was the Gilgamesh period.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

I feel ya. I dropped the Batman books in 2008 after regularly buying Batman, Detective and every other regular Bat-title for at least 25 years. It was a very hard decision to make. The books were just steering into stories I didn't care for, and further creators took the characters even further and further from what I myself enjoyed about their stories in the past. I don't regret it one bit.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

I wouldn't feel bad, modern comics don't have you in mind with the product they put out. If it doesn't bring you joy dont keep chasing that dragon for your next fix. There are plenty other bronze age books to explore. I started out as a marvel fan but fell in love with Superman titles and Aparo's Aquaman and brave and the bold. I'm more in love with the 1970's than character loyalty. I'll buy Captain Eagle before a buy the latest MCU Daredevil figure. Thats just me though.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

There’s plenty of non big two stuff out there too if you like comics
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
            Moderation Engineer
            • Aug 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            I feel ya. I dropped the Batman books in 2008 after regularly buying Batman, Detective and every other regular Bat-title for at least 25 years. It was a very hard decision to make. The books were just steering into stories I didn't care for, and further creators took the characters even further and further from what I myself enjoyed about their stories in the past. I don't regret it one bit.

Chris
            I think I hung on a little longer than you, but I did the exact same thing. I was all Bats, all the time and then they lost me cold turkey.

To Bill's point, once in a great while I'll hit Half Price Books and they have some cheap comics. The old West Coast Avengers still make my eyes light up, as does anything that takes me back to the 70s. I've lost the nostalgia for just about everything else afterwards. Even my BTAS run doesn't really do much for me. I've started to consider that I'd rather have the space that my long boxes occupy, for something else. There was a time when that would have been crazy talk to me.

Comment

• Random Axe
              The Voice of Reason
              • Apr 16, 2008

My first new Marvel book in over 15 years was purchased a few weeks ago. I couldn't resist the Alex Ross covers. I went ahead, against my every instinct, and read the books.

JFC!!!

What has Marvel comics become except an agenda driven , emaciated and hollow version of itself. Art was horrendous, story was stupid as hell and it all just felt like paint by numbers.

My goal this year is to bring back classic Avengers joy. I'm not authorized to say how yet but something cool may be coming later this year.

BTW, if anyone wants to both read classic Avengers stories and work out the forearms I highly recommend the Avengers Vibranium Collection. This book weighs 22 pounds!
              I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

Chris
                My experience/feelings exactly, Chris--though I bailed a bit sooner. I can empathize with you, Wee.

My only monthly comic for years has been Aquaman, after New52. I still by reprints and some collected stuff.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
                  To Bill's point, once in a great while I'll hit Half Price Books and they have some cheap comics. The old West Coast Avengers still make my eyes light up, as does anything that takes me back to the 70s. I've lost the nostalgia for just about everything else afterwards.
                  I've found myself being more and more attracted to the $1 and $2 dollar bins, buying anything with a 35-cents or less cover price. I even pick up some Marvel Two-in-Ones.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

I stopped buying comic books 20 years ago. Sold off all my high-priced ones and the cheapies too. Still have about 800 or so comics in my basement stored away. Too lazy (plus taking care of mom) to take an inventory and sell, maybe one day. Maybe flea market bound down the line, lol.
                    Last edited by Hector; Mar 4, '21, 9:37 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I still buy a few, here and there. I've been buying Captain America...but haven't read it for months. I basically just keep buying it to support my LCS, and to have an actual monthly comic for me to buy, when I go to pick up my kids' comics (my son still collects a big chunk of DC books). I get Retro Fan and Back Issue magazine from my LCS now. I pick up reprints and trades, of course.

Of course, I'm all in on the Superman '78 and Batman '89 books coming this summer!

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                        Career Member
                        • Jun 8, 2015

Funny, and here I thought the reason for stopping was the latest arc, where we find out that the Phoenix is (Supposedly) Thor's Mother!

Eah...

I have been enjoying Jason Aaron's arc and it is a interesting lineup, I would love it if Stingray, Quasar, Jack of Hearts, Rage or Mar-Vell were back in the group, but there is always the future.

Avengers is the only title i have been "Faithful" to. Every issue except #1 and # 4. of the classic series and most of the spin off, except Avengers Academy and Avengers World (UGH!!!)

Its like a team if they are having a lousy season you stick by them and hope next season they win the FA cup!!! After all they have been thru the good and bad.

The Masters of Evil, Ultron, Count Nefaria, Korvac, Kang, Squadron SINister, Hank and Janet's divorce, Wanda losing it, Subby Joining, Sandman a member! Perez, Byrne, (Sal) Bucema, Kirby!! Stan, Roy, Stern, even BendASS!! So much history, and it doesn't look like its gonna end anytime soon.

Comment

• Wee67
                          Museum Correspondent
                          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Jorge Galvan
                          Its like a team if they are having a lousy season you stick by them and hope next season they win the FA cup!!! After all they have been thru the good and bad.
                          It was like that for me for a long while. Now I feel like an Everton fan- the Avengers/Toffees aren't bad enough to be relegated, but I no longer get joy from the season even if they squeak into Europa.
                          Last edited by Wee67; Mar 24, '21, 2:07 PM.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                            Career Member
                            • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by Wee67
                            It was like that for me for a long while. Now I feel like an Everton fan- the Avengers/Toffees aren't bad enough to be relegated, but I no longer get joy from the season even if they squeak into Europa.

Well anything is better than being a SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY Supporter!!!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎