X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Monster Gallery Colouring Book

Sean from creepsylvania.com sent me an awesome surprise this month, a colouring book I’ve actually been looking forward to seeing for years. The Monster Gallery Colouring Book is an early seventies masterpiece illustrated by Mark Savee (with text by Leah Waskey) and each page is a stunning tribute to a famous monster of either screen […]

More...
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

That is a great coloring book I would love to add to my collection, its just so expensive on the bay and finding one that isn't colored is going to get even more expensive.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I thought Palitoy already had this book, I recall it here from Colouring Book Theatre? Or maybe it was a Tomland thread.

At any rate, I love it. The art style, poses, borders--it's truly wonderful. Prime for a reprint, I'd say--if that would be possible with modern licensing.

I need to google Mark Savee...
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

I have to re-do the entire site, page by page so it's google friendly. So yes, some reruns are happening.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I"m happy to see it again!

Troubadour also published a similarly-formatted sci-fi themed book with Savee art, Science Fiction Anthology.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I thought this would be a drudgery but I'm kind of enjoying the "Greatest Hits" nature of the whole thing.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

The artwork in that is fantastic. A real fun friendly style like vintage Halloween decorations. Spooky without being too scary or gruesome. I also really like how it mixes everything all together from Universal Monsters to Kong and Godzilla.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I like the Monster Club aspect of it, too.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

I really like this, I’m tempted to just make large printout copies and color in the characters myself.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

I have the one I had as a kid. And I bought one from ebay that is the smaller reproduction. It's my favorite coloring book from childhood.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Oh, there is a repro? What are the sizes?

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

I think the first one was 11"x14", and the reprint was 9-1/2" x 12-1/2" . At least that's what I can find on the web.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

I learned about this coloring book here, and was directed to semi-copy the look for a Castway werewolf package I did. I'm not sure I succeeded, but it was fun. Comics finally caught up with this very open art style via guys like Scott Kollins when he was working on the Flash in the early 2000s.

A friend of mine sent me photocopies of the whole book earlier this year. I love it!!!

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

What an amazing book! I'm seeing more and more examples of coloring books really moving into entirely different areas in terms of artwork. I remember DJ coming home after being out shopping with his Mimi and showed me this coloring book he got that was all 70's Marvel covers. My jaw about dropped. Suffice to say we went back out and got one for grandpa too. LOL

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎