X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

What is all this white stuff?

For those who have been asking we are fine during the Texas Snowmageddon thanks to training for the military. They keep saying this was coming so it gave us time to prepare. Living in coastal Texas I have a room (laundry room) that is set up for the pantry overflow or hurricane food. There we keep can goods that make one meal items. If power goes out during hurricane we have a big generator that we test ahead and have it ready to go. We also fill up all the gas cans. Since I have an acre of land the gas will be used one way or another. I prepare ahead of time if I know the possibility of this happening. Then the ice hit

20210215_080251_HDR 2.jpg

20210215_080347.jpg

We did not get it as bad as others, it just stuck to the walkway and driveway for awhile. Woke up and sent the images to my Aunt who lives up north asking what is this it doesn't feel like the cotton we normally get..
    roadcotton1.jpg

Because I am on my own well-water I turned it off Sunday night after I filled up our one tub (the other is walk in shower). We use the one toilet. (I know its silly but we both go outside to pee and he laughs every time)

When we are on the power grid we warm up the house (have no carpet so the floor gets cold), when it goes off (daily) we hunker down in the tv room with a space heater to warm the room. We use those electric 2 burner hotplates & microwave to cook with. Because I am on a tight budget I learned long time ago to make my own frozen dinners. I have on had enough to get us through 2 months of those. I also went and bought items I normally do not eat, those big cans of Dinty Moore, Chef Boyardee, Chili, and soups. Sometimes its easier to open a can, warm it up and eat it. Because I lost most of my tastebuds due to stroke I can just open a can and eat it cold.

The worst is going outside to switch from generator to the power grid. This morning I was out there is the cold rain trying to get the generator to start. Got it going and my boyfriend was still sleeping so I put my cold hands on his warm body and woke him up.

I just wish I could train my parents to be better prepared for these acts of nature. They what till the last minute and all hell breaks out between them.

Happy they finally have power from the grid, because my brother called and he and his wife have to go to work at the hospital for the extended weekend so we will be getting my nephew for awhile.
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Feb 18, '21, 1:07 AM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

it's really bad in parts of TX. I feel for the people going through it. some have no power or water. pipes are freezing and bursting. it's a disaster

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

I just heard from my parents they have a busted line and are trying to find it. My dad used to be a maintenance man so he can handle that, he just has to find it first.

I have had my water turned off since Sunday nite and drained so I will be nervous come next week when we turn on the water.
      Last edited by monitor_ep; Feb 18, '21, 8:55 PM.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Vote to keep the Texas power grid on par with the rest of the USA (even if it seems contrary to your personal beliefs )

Let the USA power-grid help ...
        Last edited by Mikey; Feb 18, '21, 8:57 PM.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

Seeing what Texas is going through has made me realize I really need to up my back-up game. We have natural gas and a generator, but no real water alternative and if gas and electric both go our generator will be almost useless relative to our needs in a cold snap.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Totally off topic (speaking of Texas) but had to get this off of my chest …

Back in the 70's my mom and older sis took me to Niagara Falls Ontario

We parked to see the Frankenstein museum

In the parking lot an older-ish woman came up to me and said "I'M FROM TEXAS !!!"

I replied, "im from New Jersey"

She then gave me the finger with a mean face …

To this day Peeps from Texas kinda scare me a lil

It's like, what do you want from me ?

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎