Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spectator
    Museum Patron
    • Feb 4, 2019

New head sculpts?! I'm going to need another Bones and Scotty!

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

Andy must be unleashed to sculpt !

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Scotty looks GREAT! Well done!
        sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
          Trek or Treat
          • Jan 20, 2011

Nice to see McCoy and Scotty, I like the fact Bones is wearing his short sleeve med shirt. I think the only crew member left would be Nurse Chapel, maybe the next wave will add her and maybe a Klingon too.

Comment

• Spectator
            Museum Patron
            • Feb 4, 2019

CrimsonGhost (or anyone else), can you give any insight into the reasoning behind doing new sculpts for McCoy and Scott, but keeping the vintage/original/reproduction look for the rest of the Star Trek line?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

^Do you feel it was a good move or a bad move?
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Spectator
                CrimsonGhost (or anyone else), can you give any insight into the reasoning behind doing new sculpts for McCoy and Scott, but keeping the vintage/original/reproduction look for the rest of the Star Trek line?
                I don't know, but I'm going to bet that it's because they are less popular characters than Kirk or Spock, so Mego needed something new about them to get those of us with plenty of McCoy's and Scotty's already to want to buy them. Paul had his EMCE experience with those characters, and that would tell him demand needed a boost.

And I think it was an excellent idea. They are exciting now. If they were just reproductions, they'd be same ole same ole.

Comment

• Spectator
                  Museum Patron
                  • Feb 4, 2019

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                  ^Do you feel it was a good move or a bad move?
                  I'm tempted to answer, "yes".

I think the new sculpts look good and having new versions of these characters is cool, but I also recognize that my perspective is strongly impacted by the fact that I already have EMCE reproduction versions on my shelf. I think if I hadn't managed to secure those at a reasonable price, I'd be very frustrated to see this release... especially after waiting so long for the new Mego McCoy and Scotty to arrive. I hope that anyone else who, like me, wants a full set of 'new condition' Star Trek, also knows about and has been able to get ahold of the EMCE McCoy and Scotty, but I fear there may be some more casual fans out there who've been waiting and waiting for McCoy and Scotty to complete their sets and now they're getting something that doesn't bring back those same nostalgic feelings. Hopefully, I'm just imagining a consumer that doesn't exist and everyone is happy. I do think it's really cool to have something new here (especially McCoy's shirt!). More than anything, though, I'm surprised and a little confused by the move and just very curious about the thought process behind it.

Comment

• phil
                    Persistent Member
                    • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                    I don't know, but I'm going to bet that it's because they are less popular characters than Kirk or Spock, so Mego needed something new about them to get those of us with plenty of McCoy's and Scotty's already to want to buy them. Paul had his EMCE experience with those characters, and that would tell him demand needed a boost.

And I think it was an excellent idea. They are exciting now. If they were just reproductions, they'd be same ole same ole.
                    I suspect you are right to some degree. The new sculpts will attract more interest.

Comment

• TRDouble
                      Permanent Member
                      • Jul 10, 2012

Do you think the casual fans will even realize that Scotty and McCoy are new sculpts? Or just be happy to have a full TOS crew?

I’d love a new Uhuru sculpt, but any other new TOS sculpts of the main crew will probably be from the movie.

I think as a person who has the EMCE versions, it was a good move. Even without them, as a collector who always likes seeing improvement over just rehashing, it was a good move. It might be odd seeing them altogether though, as the styles do clash.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                        Radioactive!
                        • Feb 13, 2010

I think it's a great move and I would love to see new sculpts for TOS Kirk and Spock as well.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

Scotty is definitely a long-needed likeness upgrade, and Bones is a great likeness, even though the original Mego was good too. The short sleeve tunic is of course an added bonus.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

I prefer the vintage sculpts for Scotty and McCoy. Neither is bad or better than the other. Both are very nice. I would have preferred the long selves before the short on McCoy. Same with the gold shirt for Kirk. It's great to have the green shirt but it's been too long of wait for the gold.
                            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

i love that they updated the sculpts. gives us something different for display and they look great. Maybe we will get new Kirk and Spock sculpts for the next release they have. Kirk can be in his gold shirt then and maybe we can get Spock in his black undershirt as he never went bare chested like Kirk did, lol

Comment

• PNGwynne
                                Master of Fowl Play
                                • Jun 5, 2008

I think Spock did, Catspaw or Bread & Circuses?

K/S fanfiction does not apply...
                                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎