X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Originally posted by Hector
    I love Superman 78, love it. I never judge as to how a film has aged or not. In that case, all Megoheads here should throw their little action-figures into the garbage bin because to most young kids nowadays, they are ancient and god-awful looking, lol. Nostalgia always trumps anything and everything. That’s why we are all here.

How things age does matter.
    There is nostalgia keeping the Superman Movies as high as they are on my list. Toe to toe, they aren't as good as many of the modern films I ranked below it.

AS far as comparing Megos - they have aged well. They have charm, character, playability and more. If you asked me which head sculpt is the best of all time, I am not going to say Mego. That doesn't mean I don't love my Batman Mego.

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

I think Superman the Movie endures for the exact reasons that you still enjoy Megos.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
        el Hombre de Acero
        • May 19, 2003

I’ll just list movies that warranted repeated viewing by me.

In no particular order:

Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2
        Spider-Man 2
        Blade
        Infinity War
        Superman
        Superman 2
        Batman 89
        Man of Steel (that’s right, haters, lol)
        Wonder Woman
        Batman Begins
        Dark Knight
        Captain America: Winter Soldier
        Iron-Man
        X-Men: First Class
        X-Men: Days of Future Past
        Logan
        Deadpool 1 & 2
        Flash Gordon
        Conan The Barbarian (Arnold)
        Watchman
        Thor Ragnarok
        Kick Arze

Worst? Iron-Man 3, Spider-Man 3, Catwoman, Howard the Duck, Superman 3 & 4, Green Lantern, and Freddie Got Fingered (ok, it’s not in the correct category, but it’s the worst movie ever made, lol).

Movies that a lot of fellow geeks loved, but I said, meh: Aquaman (Finding Nemo is better). Shazam (Big with Tom Hanks was way better and funnier), and Captain America Civil War (the entire big giant battle is on some lame airport with a couple of lame introductory fisticuffs, yawn).

Brilliant one time viewing, but don’t want to see it again: Joker (acting was great, but why in the world would I want to see it again?).

Movie that didn’t like the result (Batman beating Superman) but appreciated and had fun with some of the scenes: Batman V Superman. The warehouse scene is possibly the best superhero kicking arse on thugs moment in superhero movie history, it was gritty, brutal, and just plain baddarze. No other Batman scene comes close, sorry Christopher Nolan. And also, the moment Wonder Woman appears and saves Batman from Doomsday, holy shiiiaaattt...I had goosebumps for days, lol.

Guilty pleasure: Wonder Woman 1984: BECAUSE GAL GADOT IS A FRIGGIN GODDESS...THAT’S WHY!!!!!!!

Last edited by Hector; Feb 15, '21, 11:45 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          I think Superman the Movie endures for the exact reasons that you still enjoy Megos.
          Exactly.
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by Brue
            AS far as comparing Megos - they have aged well.
            To you and I, they have. But to many millenniums and the younger Gen Z, they rather buy and collect Hot Toys, lol.
            sigpic

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I think you might be overreacting just a tad, given that no one here has really gone MMA yet, lol.
              I'm kind of joking, and kind of not. It got pretty hairy during the podcast when a friend of mine pulled a "heel move" I didn't expect.

All joking aside, it really did sour me on these types of list, because they are completely subjective. I know that's the point, but they just aren't my thing, personally.

But I know everyone here is behaving themselves, and it's a fun discussion, so don't mind me, and carry on.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Best super hero movie is Lego Batman.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Godzilla
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 3, 2002

Fun list Brue- that's for posting it.
                  Mortui Vivos Docent
                  The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    Best super hero movie is Lego Batman.
                    I got lucky and found the blu-ray at dollar tree.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                      Career Member
                      • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      I agree with this also. If we can’t figure nostalgia into the equation on a site built around nostalgia...

And Has Chris has said, these subjective debates never sway anyone else’s opinion anyway.

You like what you like, and for your own reasons.

That said, Superman the Movie absolutely changed the way that the popular culture looked at superhero movies. It was a big budget studio picture that finally treated the subject seriously. Younger members here may have a movie that they think is the bomb, but undisputedly, Superman the Movie is the one that kicked the doors down hard.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Superman the Movie is the film that made me like Superman.

Batman '66 will always have a place in my heart, and I love the film of it. And other genre adaptations may charm and thrill me. But Superman remains my favorite comic book film.

Seeing it in the theatre was as exciting as seeing Star Wars. I'm always eleven and fully engaged when I rewatch it--that's nostalgia. But it has an epic yet intimate quality that no sequel or reworking has matched IMO.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                          Permanent Member
                          • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Brue
                          You and PNGwyne are of one mind.

I have not seen Danger Diabolik. I'll see if it is streaming.
                          Well its on Pluto TV. No excuse for not seeing it.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                            Career Member
                            • Aug 29, 2007

I had never seen Diabolik so I watched it on Pluto streaming channel last night... I guess by the criteria set in the first post, it qualifies, but it put me more in the mind of the 60’s spy movies of the time, more so than a superhero movie (although that lair was very cool). It was clever and original, but it didn’t bowl me over. One and done for me.

I like how Hector stated it... I have never felt the need to rank them, but superhero movies that I revisit are:
                            Superman the Movie
                            Captain America The First Avenger
                            The Dark Knight
                            Wonder Woman
                            Iron Man
                            Captain America Winter Soldier
                            Thor Ragnorok
                            And every few years when I want some “pulpy” fun, I revisit The Shadow, The Phantom, and The Rocketeer.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎