• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

the ATLAS/SEABORD comics group

Did anyone collect read these books???

In the last four months, I was rummaging at one of the many comic shops here in Chicago looking for whatever to keep me sane in these times and I saw a few titles in the MISC boxes that kind of caught my eye, since I have pretty much every bronze & silver age DC & Marvel in my collection, I have been concentrating on Dell, Gold key, Charlton and "indy"books from the 60's-80's. So I found some titles: The Destructor, the Brute and the Phoenix. Picked them up and read a few of them, interesting, I can see the similarities between the Hulk and the Brute. And the Destructor is basically spider man. I did some online research and Atlas was the brainchild of Martin Goodman and his son, they basically POACHED talent from Marvel & DC and promised them more $$$. Sadly it all went bust after less than a year. Very interesting story. With sometime, I wonder how they would have made out??
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

What a fun chapter in the middle of the 1970s... I remember picking up a few back in the day...

I remember definitely they were trying to get in on that same vibe as Marvel in the 70s... the "soapbox-type" hype. Definately the comics themselves had that feel. I think most of the titles just had three issues or so before it all folded. I liked a series called Planet of the Vampires they did... and a book called Targitt was actually pretty gritty and good.

It's a fun little niche to collect...

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

I think Goodman wanted his sone installed as marvels eic instead of Lee and that falling out lead to atlas seaboard as an attempt to torpedo marvel
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

I only ever saw one or two of their publications on the racks back in the day, but it wasn't until years later that I finally collected a decent number of their titles by trawling through the back issue boxes at comic marts.
        My favourite Atlas/Seaboard book is still Wulf the Barbarian.
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by thunderbolt
          I think Goodman wanted his sone installed as marvels eic instead of Lee and that falling out lead to atlas seaboard as an attempt to torpedo marvel
          When Goodman sold the company he wanted Chip to hold a position at Marvel, they agreed and I believe fired him immediately after.

What's truly weird about all of it was, a lot of people say Goodman was kind of abusive to Chip but he started a whole comic company over his firing.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
            When Goodman sold the company he wanted Chip to hold a position at Marvel, they agreed and I believe fired him immediately after.

What's truly weird about all of it was, a lot of people say Goodman was kind of abusive to Chip but he started a whole comic company over his firing.
            He was also hot over all the "Stan is Marvel" coverage that had been going on since he sold in...'68(?).

Most thought is Stan sold himself as the creator to drown own Kirby and the guys, but I've felt it was to payback Goodman. Seaboard is founded in the summer of '74 and the Fireside Origins first release is that Sept, which I don't think is a coincidence.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

How does this stuff compare to Gold Key of the time? Artists, writing?
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎