Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever try to dye a Mattel Retro Action body?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jrfjr126rock
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 23, 2008

Anyone ever try to dye a Mattel Retro Action body?

Has anyone here ever tried to dye a Mattel Retro Action body? I tried to search previous posts and couldn't find anything. I tried to dye a FTC head a few weeks back but realized the Rit Dye I used was not the best type and it had no effect. Does anyone have any advice for me?

Also if it cannot be dyed what are some tips for repainting a body?
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

Rit dyemore is the kind for synthetic items. Regular dye won't work.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
      Rit dyemore is the kind for synthetic items. Regular dye won't work.
      Do you know if Rit Dyemore will work on hard plastic though? I don't mind if the body is slightly off compared to arms and torso as the custom I am working on will have a full costume but just curious. Also any recommendations on what you think would be best color to use for a Native American character? I'd like for them to be brown but not as dark as an African American person of course.

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

People dye Legos with the Rit Dyezmore
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• LonnieFisher
          Eloquent Member
          • Jan 19, 2008

With so many diverse synthetic fabric iterations on the market, we thought it was high time to offer a dye capable of taking those very fabrics to the next level. That’s why we’re proud to introduce Rit DyeMore, a dye specially made for synthetic fabrics like polyester, acrylic, acetate, plus blends that contain those fibers. And like our original formula, DyeMore is non-toxic and perfect for use in the home.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

The hard plastic would probably take a lot longer to achieve the same color as the rubbery arms and legs. I'd try dying the body first, then try to get the softer parts to match.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
              The hard plastic would probably take a lot longer to achieve the same color as the rubbery arms and legs. I'd try dying the body first, then try to get the softer parts to match.
              You are probably right but that won't bother me too much since the body will be clothed. I also found a tutorial on youtube on how to use Dyemore on Monster High dolls and I believe some of the parts are basically the same so it should work!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Personally, if you're going to clothe the figure, I would dye only the hands or visible limbs. Dye transfer sucks.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Jrfjr126rock
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 23, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Personally, if you're going to clothe the figure, I would dye only the hands or visible limbs. Dye transfer sucks.
                  Is there some sort of seal you can spray to not have that as bad? Good idea though!

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Jrfjr126rock
                    Is there some sort of seal you can spray to not have that as bad? Good idea though!
                    Not really no. It will eventually leach out into what ever its touching
                    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎