Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

That story is so impossibly sad. On the personal front I have nothing but tremendous sympathy for Snyder, but as a director I've always been at odds with his superhero portrayals. He was the perfect director for material like the Watchmen because that fit his cynical views like a glove. But I can specifically remember watching that movie and saying, "Wow that was compelling. But I hope he never gets his hands on our superheroes, because they would all be depressing and dark."

He has these amazing visual talents to bring extraordinary subjects to life in a very surreal way that feels almost real, but not quite. Its like he plucked the spirit of Alex Ross from an alternate universe and conceptualized him with a little more edge to create his storyboards. But as rich as his visuals are, his characters (for me) tend to be very one note in terms of their emotional seating. Every one of them is a reluctant hero with any number of social conflicts dialed in to say, "I'm here, but honestly I would rather be somewhere else." While I can appreciate his desire to give them complexity to wrestle with the moral code of what they're doing, the never-ending philosophical struggle weighs down the spirit of the source material.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
      That story is so impossibly sad. On the personal front I have nothing but tremendous sympathy for Snyder, but as a director I've always been at odds with his superhero portrayals. He was the perfect director for material like the Watchmen because that fit his cynical views like a glove. But I can specifically remember watching that movie and saying, "Wow that was compelling. But I hope he never gets his hands on our superheroes, because they would all be depressing and dark."

He has these amazing visual talents to bring extraordinary subjects to life in a very surreal way that feels almost real, but not quite. Its like he plucked the spirit of Alex Ross from an alternate universe and conceptualized him with a little more edge to create his storyboards. But as rich as his visuals are, his characters (for me) tend to be very one note in terms of their emotional seating. Every one of them is a reluctant hero with any number of social conflicts dialed in to say, "I'm here, but honestly I would rather be somewhere else." While I can appreciate his desire to give them complexity to wrestle with the moral code of what they're doing, the never-ending philosophical struggle weighs down the spirit of the source material.
      He's a bad storyteller and I don't think he gets the heroes but to his credit, he really can direct action well.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by palitoy
        He's a bad storyteller and I don't think he gets the heroes but to his credit, he really can direct action well.
        Agreed. When he replaced the epic lesson of Jonathan Kent dying from a heart attack in a favor of a death-by-tornado sacrifice for a secret, I never trusted his story telling skills again.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MIB41
          Agreed. When he replaced the epic lesson of Jonathan Kent dying from a heart attack in a favor of a death-by-tornado sacrifice for a secret, I never trusted his story telling skills again.
          Yeah, that was his objectivist beliefs sneaking in and sorry, Superman is an altruist, pure and simple. I still feel we have a good actor in Caville but the stuff coming out of his mouth, oi vey.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

^Yeah, that's the "Martha' of Man of Steel. Totally ridiculous for any of the characters to act and react that way.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• powersthatbe
              Persistent Member
              • Sep 27, 2010

If you have to sell Superman on a movie poster standing in the rain(BvS) you don't get Superman. I still think Cavill can be a great Superman if he actually plays how Superman is suppose to be. I would love elements of Byrne's Man of Steel in a film like when he faces a villain like Metallo or Rampage. and would love to actually see FREAKING BRAINIAC on the big screen for heck's sake! maybe before I retire in 15 years

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                Persistent Member
                • Sep 3, 2009

interesting that zack used tom waits ,the proto ledger joker for this new teaser ,waits typically refuses offers to feature his music but said yes to this ,its one of my favorites from way back so glad to see it and tom get a bit of airplay and wider exposure

Comment

• libby 1957dog
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 3, 2009

heres tom on australian tv in 1979 giving little heath a idea or two lol

Comment

• monitor_ep
                    Talkative Member
                    • May 11, 2013

Originally posted by libby 1957dog

interesting that zack used tom waits ,the proto ledger joker for this new teaser ,waits typically refuses offers to feature his music but said yes to this ,its one of my favorites from way back so glad to see it and tom get a bit of airplay and wider exposure
                    WTH was that????
                    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                      WTH was that????
                      Looks like someone's fan project.. LOL
                      Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Oh boy, that last video is so pompous, pretentious, and self-absorbed. It’s awful. I hated it. Yes, great song, but it doesn’t vibe with a superhero theme. And the imagery, oh brother, so, well, I already said what I thought earlier in my sentence, lol.

I really, really, really want this to be awesome, but it’s looking like more and more of the same. It’s going to be darker and humorless. At least the original theater release had a bit of dumb humor, mainly courtesy of the Flash, but they are taking that out too.

When I saw Darkseid, I went nuts, yeah, awesome, but right after a few seconds of gathering my thoughts, I said, man, he still looks like a video game character, still too CGI. Why in the hell can’t WB/DC do an organic looking character like MCU Marvel’s Thanos? They pumped extra millions into this. Why is it so hard? I’ve seen youtubers doing better stuff at home.

But as I said earlier, I have HBO Max, I’ll watch it.
                        Last edited by Hector; Feb 28, '21, 6:54 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Having said that, they took out the Russian family scenes, good, as that was so forced and unnecessary.
                          sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by libby 1957dog
                            heres tom on australian tv in 1979 giving little heath a idea or two lol

Man, that is freaky how Ledger pretty much just played Waits playing the Joker
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
                              el Hombre de Acero
                              • May 19, 2003

Well, maybe Darkseid still looks a tad too CGI, but man, looks menacing and that voice actor Ray Porter nails the voice, he sounds so baddass...

sigpic

Comment

• Operation:Mego
                                I'm the Star Spangled Man
                                • May 21, 2011

sigpic
                                The event where the fans are separated from the true fans.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎