X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • C.H.O.A.M.
    learning all the time
    • Sep 15, 2010

anybody like OLD movies?

I recently had a free 2 week trial with the criterion channel.
    wow, sooooo many great old movies, domestic and foreign! from Fritz Lang to Ingmar Bergman, I think I watched about 20 movies in my 14 days!
    but they didn't have too many from a few faves of mine: Ernst Lubitsch and George Cukor. in fact, I can't even find an even mildly comprehensive Cukor dvd box set anywhere...
    Turner Classics is probably the only channel I miss since I ditched cable years ago!
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Sounds great, I like Criterion releases.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
      learning all the time
      • Sep 15, 2010

go for it!
      2 weeks free, it's a no-brainer
      (if you're interested I can pm you a whole bunch of recommendations)

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

I love old movies! Criterion’s releases are excellent!

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
          learning all the time
          • Sep 15, 2010

(I sound like I work for them)
          do it! 2 weeks free! soooooooooo many great movies!

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

lol I like your enthusiasm. I don't have streaming or a smart TV, so I think it wouldn't serve me well. But I have many Criterion dvds, so I can understand the appeal.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• ODBJBG
              Permanent Member
              • May 15, 2009

Love them, but I just don't have time to watch anything.

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

When Comcast relegated TCM to a weird add-on package, it really made me reconsider the cable bill again, but with the addition of HBO Max TCM returned even better. The Criterion library is filmtastic and so needed in the 21st C.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                  learning all the time
                  • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  lol I like your enthusiasm. I don't have streaming or a smart TV, so I think it wouldn't serve me well. But I have many Criterion dvds, so I can understand the appeal.
                  I'm not trying to spend anyone's money, but if you have a tv with hdmi input a roku or similar device is only around $20-25.
                  I imagine you already have internet so why not start streaming free movies from free channels? plus a lot of the paid ones offer free trial periods. my $.02

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                    learning all the time
                    • Sep 15, 2010

Originally posted by Confessional
                    When Comcast relegated TCM to a weird add-on package, it really made me reconsider the cable bill again, but with the addition of HBO Max TCM returned even better. The Criterion library is filmtastic and so needed in the 21st C.
                    are you saying there's a bundle deal with TCM? I haven't had cable in over 10 years but I could be enticed back if I can get the few channels I would actually pay for in a cheap bundle deal...

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ In October of 2019 Comcast removed TCM from basic and movie subscription options, and then strangely packaged it with a "Sports Entertainment Package," which was anything but attractive for classic and critically acclaimed film fans. With the launch of HBO Max, TCM returned as a featured "Hub" within the new package. It's significantly better than the previous On Demand TCM offerings, so it's made fans like me happy.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Spectrum (gad, how I hate them) removed TCM from basic as well.

Comment

• drquest
                          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          Spectrum (gad, how I hate them) removed TCM from basic as well.
                          I have Spectrum and if you have HBO, then you have access to HBO Max for free. You'll sign in with your Spectrum login to access it. You can watch it on your computer, but grab a streaming device to connect to your TV and you can watch it on the big screen. TCM is included on HBO Max.

Also the cable companies don't remove and add channels solely based on their decisions. The over-riding companies that own these channels have agreements related to must carry and they bundle packages together with other channels that no one really wants to watch. So the owners will bundle a whole bunch of other channels that is just junk and push that to the cable companies, and satellite companies and their choice is to either take the bundle and raise prices, or move those to a higher priced package.
                          Last edited by drquest; Feb 13, '21, 1:28 PM.
                          Danny(Drquest)
                          Captain Action HQ
                          Retro shirts and stuff
                          More retro shirts
                          Stuff For Sale

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I don't have HBO, I have bare-bones a la carte cable. Luckily, one channel I could choose was TCM--and they often show Criterion releases.

Comment

• C.H.O.A.M.
                              learning all the time
                              • Sep 15, 2010

(see my previous reply about adding a fairly cheap streaming device)

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎