X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Can we make a single RIP thread?

I know I posted about this a while back, that this area of the forum got too clogged up with RIP threads and I found it depressing. I have to say, at the time, my complaint worked and we got less of those threads and more fun general discussion threads. I realize we've lost a lot of great people, celebrities and things, in recent months... But at the same time, the threads are starting to overwhelm this area of the forum again. Last time I don't think I suggested this, but why not create one thread, that's for RIP.

Then as someone important dies, people can post their thoughts, whatever. And then the next person that goes, you respond and so on.

I know it seems like a small thing, but I think it would help the activity of this particular forum if it wasn't just new threads about whoever just died, but one single thread that could go on. People would then know exactly where to go to post about any deaths.

Maybe each year start a new one. Could serve as an archive in that way of who we lost in 2021, 2022, etc.

Mods? Something to think about at least.
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

Brian and I will discuss it on our nightly call. Certainly not the worst suggestion I've ever heard.

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

This is the way it's done on the two comic forums I am a member of. It allows people to acknowledge, mourn or comment on the loss of our idols, but keeps it all in one place (with the exception of the deaths of a major comic book creators who sometimes get a "spotlight" type thread to celebrate their work). It's easier to follow and doesn't require checking in on multiple threads, or easier to ignore if you do not want to keep up. I just find it works better than the way its done here with new threads every time the Reaper pays a visit to one of our icons or peers.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• pmwasson
        Maker
        • Sep 12, 2007

RIP "RIP threads"
        sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

I like RIP threads … imo there isn't enough of them

Rip Taylor was a talented guy

Comment

• LonnieFisher
            Eloquent Member
            • Jan 19, 2008

I wouldn't keep looking at a thread that was strictly for dead people. That seems like a strange way to honor people that passed away. Kinda sounds like a mass grave that keeps getting new bodies dumped into it. Maybe it's own section of the forum, but not a single thread. I vote "no".
            Last edited by LonnieFisher; Feb 3, '21, 5:35 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Or just have a death subforum!!!
              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I like the idea of one memorial thread.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

Death Subforum!… members post RIP across the entire Forum, not just here in General Buzz. Eye catching and useful consolidation me thinks.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

i don't mind the multiple threads. i think with a single thread, some of the notices would probably get lost as people post their tributes and there would very quickly be too many pages to easily read through

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                      i don't mind the multiple threads. i think with a single thread, some of the notices would probably get lost as people post their tributes and there would very quickly be too many pages to easily read through
                      That ALREADY happens, when people's RIP threads get bumped down by other RIP threads. Christ, someone started a thread today for someone who died a MONTH ago.

And many of these threads only get a couple of responses anyway. Most of the posts are brief. It's not like there's some great discussion and if there is, there's no reason it wouldn't flourish in a consildated thread. If anything that's MORE likely to happen.
                      Last edited by ODBJBG; Feb 3, '21, 6:36 PM.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

I vote for no ongoing RIP thread. I won’t complain either way, but my thinking is that when someone of note passes away, what does it hurt to honor them one last time?

I would never “check in” on a RIP thread. But if I see in a post someone has died that I know, I’ll check it out.

Also, regarding “too many RIP threads”, I don’t feel like the first page of these forums changes so drastically and quickly that topics get lost from the first page before anyone has seen it.
                        Last edited by YoungOnce; Feb 3, '21, 7:26 PM. Reason: Clarification in a confusing sentence...

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

A lot of mediocre/forgotten celebs would go unnoticed if not for a posted RIP thread.

This is the 21st century version of old people reading obituaries in the local newspaper

Comment

• Type3Toys
                            Home Of The Type3 Body
                            • Jan 18, 2005

Originally posted by LonnieFisher
                            I wouldn't keep looking at a thread that was strictly for dead people. That seems like a strange way to honor people that passed away. Kinda sounds like a mass grave that keeps getting new bodies dumped into it. Maybe it's own section of the forum, but not a single thread. I vote "no".
                            I agree with Lonnie. If they are worth mentioning they deserve some measure of respect.
                            LOOK
                            Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                            For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                            To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• thunderbolt
                              Hi Ernie!!!
                              • Feb 15, 2004

There’s a glut of threads lately. Lots of folks in their 90s coupled with Covid getting a lot of elderly folks is driving it up.
                              You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎