X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

Mego Ultraman and Dracula (Lee) photo gallery

DJ and I wandered out to a local toy mall in our area that sells quite a bit of second hand toys, but also plenty of new items as well. One dealer in particular carries all the new Megos which, on this particular day, had us bug-eyed as he was putting out fresh stock.

First let me tip my hat to the sculptors Andy and Sean, plus the great work Rachel did on the outfits, as well as Jason on the packaging. They jump out from the pack. First up is Ultraman. Here's a front and back shot of the packaging. Note Tsuburaya Productions proudly places their seal of approval on the bubble.

The head sculpt is a nice tribute to our beloved hero from the 60's which takes on one of my favorite head designs best known as Type C. The suit is well tailored with removable boots to service either the Popy homage with the boots on or stay faithful to the TV show with them removed. Ultraman himself is true gray under his threads. There may be a few tradeoffs on posability. On mine, because his suit is so form fitting, it puts too much stress on his seams to raise his arms above his head for a flying pose (and that's with the back Velcro open). But on DJ's he was able to achieve that without any problem, so that may be a variable on the figure depending on how tight your outfit comes. But as a kid who grew up watching him in the 60's and early 70's, this is still very much a treat by every measure that counts.

Dracula is also a special treat. If you like the photos of this figure, just wait until you're holding it in your hands. Here is the backer card front and back.

The figure is a cool design. The head sculpt really jumps out in person and you can't help but be impressed with the details, especially around his teeth.

The outfit is creative in it's approach. The collar and cape are not connected. The cape is its own piece while the collar is part of the jacket underneath. The white collared shirt has no sleeves to keep posability smooth and there's separate neckwear held in place by your standard elastic band.

Both keepers and instant classics in my book.
    Last edited by MIB41; Jan 31, '21, 4:57 AM.
  • Krypt0nite
    Radioactive!
    • Feb 13, 2010

Thanks for your great reviews. Mine are coming in Monday and I can't wait!

Comment

• Mod Style
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 1, 2009

Love them both!! I would love to see a Dracula variant down the road with that look. You know the one.....Closed mouth, set jaw, ice cold regal expression!

Comment

• Brown Bear
        Still Old School
        • Feb 14, 2008

Thanks for the kind words.

Ultraman's card design had some blatant homages to the old Popy card if you compare and my intention was to leave the back as a standard template for others that follow. Hopefully that's the route Mego uses.

The back side of Dracula's card is my personal favourite I've done but the real star remains the figure itself which is off the charts.
        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

Got both of them, along with Red Desth Phantom and Willy Wonka. Mego is hitting their stride with these figures. Would all be great, but Red Death Phantom is not quite right, which marks it down a notch from the others. Ultraman is really just a perfect looking toy for a Mego figure.

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

Love the silver body!
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

Man, I so want that Dracula. I got one coming, but it can't get here fast enough. Thanks for the review, and to DJ for sharing!

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• danadoll
                Micronaut Nut!
                • Apr 11, 2005

I love that Dracula!!!

Dana
                "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

The Hammer Dracula looks terrific, and I would love to see more Hammer monsters like the Mummy and Werewolf and of course Peter Cushing as well.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Thanks for all the great comments! I'll be posting one for Masque of the Red Death shortly. Its fun to get back into the shop talk. Such great figures on the table and coming down the line, so I'm trying to get the old habit of posting photo reviews back up. Everyone's feedback is greatly appreciated.

Comment

• Tiberiusguy
                      Museum Patron
                      • Aug 23, 2019

I noticed that ultraman, while having a silver body, seems to have flesh coloured arms. Seems odd that they didn’t go all silver/grey.

Thanks for the reviews, and the additional, Smile of Approval!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

Are the Ultraman boots painted, plated, or molded in color?
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Tiberiusguy
                          I noticed that ultraman, while having a silver body, seems to have flesh coloured arms. Seems odd that they didn’t go all silver/grey.

Thanks for the reviews, and the additional, Smile of Approval!
                          In the pics in this thread? they are silver in that pic
                          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MIB41
                            Eloquent Member
                            • Sep 25, 2005

Hey there PNGwynne. The boots are definitely painted (as are the hands and face plate). If you look inside the boots you can see the overspray, but further down it appears the boot itself is molded gray. So it should hold its appearance for a good long while.

Hi Tiberiusguy. Thanks for the kind words! The arms are molded gray as is the rest of the body, so you won't see any flesh tones on this figure. He's ready for action straight off the card.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

Good to know, thank you.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎