Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA: Do yourself a favor, buy new Megos, and play with them!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

PSA: Do yourself a favor, buy new Megos, and play with them!

Ultraman, Creature, Wonka, Drac & Red Death… holy fantastic fun on a Friday morning!

Counter to the ad nauseam ego driven nature of the electronic age, I offer the simple suggestion of buying one of these new toys, ripping it open, and adjusting/posing/playing/placing it which (if you still have any optimism left living in this mad world) should bring you some joy. Sure I could fret over Ultraman's suit disintegrating (it probably will!) into fine dust in a few years or the improper placement of a velcro strip, but what a damn waste of life's time that would be. This is truly a great wave of Megos; days of plastic gluttony with even more goodness to follow. We are spoiled. Andy and Sean, your work is excellent, and thanks caring about this format and its fan base.

In closing, I offer that it's really not that hard to acquire such a rewarding $20 figure in the modern world, you just have to remember how to enjoy it.
  • zeedox
    Career Member
    • Aug 10, 2007

I'm glad you started this point I had the same feeling when Dracula and Ultraman arrived. I have Creature too wonderful treasures!

Comment

• Wee67
      Museum Correspondent
      • Apr 2, 2002

Just know that when you walk into my room and catch me playing with my Megos, I'm gonna yell, "You alright?! I learned it from watching you!!"
      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Comment

• rayray
          • May 21, 2013

I am so here for setting up the megos. I left saving the packaging aside after age 50.

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Well, at least there's four of us having fun!

Comment

• MIB41
              Eloquent Member
              • Sep 25, 2005

Yep! I open any Megos I buy but I do preserve the packaging because I keep pegboards in my basement. To me its not fun if you can't hold them and put them on display.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

i usually buy 2 of each figure i want. one to open and play with and one to keep packaged. though I think i may stop with the double and just buy one to open.(space getting tight) especially with all the goodness heading our way in the next few months. i do also buy extras even of some of the other figures, to keep on hand for parts for making customs

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

^^ MIB41, your cross-generational playtime absolutely rocks!

I wasn't really making a packaging declaration, although Mego's are absolutely throw away by design… I don't care if folks go loose or MOC/MIB, rather just wanted to state the obvious celebration of days of bacon and bourbon.

… all this and we're getting Apes too?!? Oh, and I can avoid retail and buy conveniently from one of dozens of online sellers with competitive pricing. SO SPOILED! Some collectors seem to forget the how it used to be.
                  Last edited by Confessional; Jan 31, '21, 12:19 PM. Reason: …have fun or die!

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Confessional
                    ^^ MIB41, your cross-generational playtime absolutely rocks!

I wasn't really making a packaging declaration, although Mego's are absolutely throw away by design… I don't care if folks go loose or MOC/MIB, rather just wanted to state the obvious celebration of days of bacon and bourbon.

… all this and we're getting Apes too?!? Oh, and I can avoid retail and buy conveniently from one of dozens of online sellers with competitive pricing. SO SPOILED! Some collectors seem to forget the how it used to be.
                    Oh I most definitely agree. I figure at this stage of my life I have fewer days in front of me then behind me since I remember vividly what the world looked like when no Mego figures existed. So when I buy these, I'm all in, head and feet first. Its just spectacular that we get another round like this in our lifetime. That kid inside me is wide awake and enjoying the ride. And having my grandson along who shares an equal excitement for them is a blessing I will never fully be able to articulate into words. But thats why I keep him in photos on this forum playing with figures practically since he was a tiny baby (now he is 9 years old). People have been able to see him grow up in this hobby and I hope when I'm gone one day he will continue that tradition right here with his kids. Its so neat I can see my past, my present, and get a glimpse at this hobby's future. I think its in good hands.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

all mine are free range monsters. Heck I get Frank to send them loose and recycle on his end
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• newlyknighted
                        Persistent Member
                        • Feb 21, 2010

I open most of my purchases, just like when I was a kid, so they can be put in dioramas. I also buy extras for customs.
                        I post in thy general direction!

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎