• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

George Clooney to Reboot Buck Rogers Series

but will he commit to the gut?

George Clooney is looking to update Buck Rogers for the 21st century. The movie star, along with producing partner Grant Heslov, is set to executive-produce for Legendary a limited TV series about the iconic sci-fi character, who — one way or another, depending on which take you’ve read/watched — gets trapped in suspended animation for […]

George Clooney is looking to update Buck Rogers for the 21st century.

The movie star, along with producing partner Grant Heslov, is set to executive-produce for Legendary a limited TV series about the iconic sci-fi character, who — one way or another, depending on which take you’ve read/watched — gets trapped in suspended animation for some 500 years, eventually waking up in the 25th century.

Brian K. Vaughan, whose writing credits include episodes of Lost and Under the Dome, plus the comic book series Y the Last Man, will pen the series. No network is yet attached.

Amid reports that Clooney is considering the project as also a starring vehicle, the actor’s rep told our sister ste Variety that is not the case.

The best known live-action incarnation of the time-displaced hero, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, originated in 1979 as a cinematic release that got ordered to series, and ran from September 1979 to April 1981. The oft-campy series starred Gil Gerard as the titular space captain, while the cast also included Erin Gray as Colonel Wilma Deering [dreamy sigh] and Tim O’Connor as Dr. Elias Huer. The great Mel Blanc, meanwhile, voiced the whimsical robot sidekick Twiki (biddi-biddi-biddi).
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

After hearing Queen Latifa is starring in an Equalizer reboot, THIS one gives me a little hope. Be cool to see Gil Gerard have a role in it.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i hope we get something good. Buck Rogers needs a comeback

Comment

• MIB41
        Eloquent Member
        • Sep 25, 2005

Would love to see that license revitalized. Its also time for the TV series to get a new remastered treatment that would service merchandising needs for any new projects. This is great news. How fun it would be for Mego to grab that license and do some characters we missed in the Zica line up like Hawk.

Comment

• powersthatbe
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 27, 2010

Man, missing out on the other ZICA Buck Rogers stills stings, but I'm happy to hear this news. Will Clooney star as well? I know he'd be too old to play Buck.

Comment

• YoungOnce
            Career Member
            • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by powersthatbe
            Man, missing out on the other ZICA Buck Rogers stills stings, but I'm happy to hear this news. Will Clooney star as well? I know he'd be too old to play Buck.
            ....... ouch!

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Gil Gerard made a REALLY likable Buck Rogers

He was basically Captain Kirk with a better sense of humor

I can see Clooney aping Gerard's take and liking him.

LINE FOR PUBLIC STONING STARTS HERE ....

I actually liked Clooney as Batman

Let the stones fall

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Mikey
                Gil Gerard made a REALLY likable Buck Rogers

He was basically Captain Kirk with a better sense of humor

I can see Clooney aping Gerard's take and liking him.

LINE FOR PUBLIC STONING STARTS HERE ....

I actually liked Clooney as Batman

Let the stones fall

With Clooney and Brian K. Vaughan on board though, I think the tone of the series will be much more serious and leaning towards a harder sci-fi than the campy approach the 70s Gil Gerard series had. With Vaughan as head writer, his proclivity in the sci-fi I have read from him (Y: the Last Man, Saga) and in his super-hero work (Runaways, Mystique, Dr. Strange: The Oath, Batman, etc.) is to have a lot of serious thematic underpinnings and use the genre to explore and comment on a lot of issues (something a lot of hard sci-fi writers from the Golden Age of Sci-fi did as well), so I am not sure how much the leading man's sense of humor will come into play. I think you might see something that looks and feels a lot more like something like the Expanse or the Galactica reboot than the 70s sci-fi series. For that matter, most of the Buck Rogers versions before and after the Gil Gerard series were much more serious straight sci-fi than that TV show as well, with the Gerard series being the outlier in versions of the property rather than the prime vision for it.

-M
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i don't think he plans on starring in it.

for what it's worth, i Liked him well enough s Batman too. but his script and movie were awful

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

I liked clooney enough as batman as well. to me ,he looked big as batman in the suit and didn't come off as small like bale and keaton did (but keaton is still my favorite batman). I think shumacher was going for a 66 bat vibe. i believe the execs then wanted a more kid friendly batman as the penquin from returns came off as too creepy and scary fpr kids. if there were a more serious script it might have done better.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/492...lans-new-movie

looks like trouble is already brewing over rights

Comment

• thunderbolt
                        Hi Ernie!!!
                        • Feb 15, 2004

And that’s idiotic over what is essentially a dead property.
                        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

if there's money to be made, people will always fight over it

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                            Well, Buck IS over 500 years old. LOL!

Dana
                            "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• MEMEGO
                              Career Member
                              • Sep 6, 2007

They can keep Buck I will take Wilma(Erin Gray) and Twiki,

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎