Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • favoritemonsters
    • Aug 4, 2018

Hundreds of Maersk shipping containers fell into the Pacific Ocean

Maersk said the US Coast Guard and relevant authorities have been notified and its preparing a claims form for customers who lost their goods.

Terrible monetary tragedy for many but hope no Megos were lost in route...
  • Duncan
    Museum focus-groupie
    • Jun 27, 2009

When I read the article and saw some of the dimensions/capacities being discussed, I had trouble comprehending the huge numbers. Here's a link to a graphic that shows how these ships can hold 20,000 Twenty-Foot Equivalent Units (TEUs; 20'X8'X8.5'). It's amazing.

https://gcaptain.com/worlds-largest-...e-infographic/

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

Another artificial reef

Fish are probably happy

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Mikey
        Another artificial reef

Fish are probably happy

sigpic

Comment

• Confessional
          Maker & Whatnot
          • Aug 8, 2012

My great uncle was a mercenary, large cargo ship Captain who shared much about this precarious industry. If you read about international shipping, you'll learn of incredibly high loss rates (both on and off ship) that occur for a variety of reasons, including weather, pandemic, spoilage, insurance fraud, politics and war. There are NGO dive teams that have been researching accidental and intentional dumps in recent years (due to record loses and wash-up evidence) and have found many of the containers burst/fail placing everything imaginable across our ocean floors. The fish are not so happy, and we are eating a whole bunch more micro-plastics in the food chain.
          Last edited by Confessional; Jan 23, '21, 11:29 AM. Reason: …happy happy, joy joy!

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

^ --- your Great Unc was a large cargo container ship Captain ?

That is the coolest thing I've heard all month.

Is he still with us ?

Would love to hear his thoughts on all things related to the seas

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yeah Mike, and a mercenary Captain too… meaning he freelanced (to the highest international bidder) to move difficult/challenging vessels and cargo from off shore through the Panama Canal.

One unforgettable life lesson, you can solve most problems at sea with $10,000 in cash, a gun, and an expensive bottle of whiskey. Explaining, sometimes you only need one, and other times you're going to need all three.

He lived one of the most amazing lives I've ever known of, from lying about his age to gain an apprenticeship in the Merchant Marines and ultimately seeing the world by sea, to being a professional poker player and highly skilled day trader. He was an incredibly smart, funny, and very generous gentleman.

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
                ^^ Yeah Mike, and a mercenary Captain too… meaning he freelanced (to the highest international bidder) to move difficult/challenging vessels and cargo from off shore through the Panama Canal.

One unforgettable life lesson, you can solve most problems at sea with $10,000 in cash, a gun, and an expensive bottle of whiskey. Explaining, sometimes you only need one, and other times you're going to need all three.

He lived one of the most amazing lives I've ever known of, from lying about his age to gain an apprenticeship in the Merchant Marines and ultimately seeing the world by sea, to being a professional poker player and highly skilled day trader. He was an incredibly smart, funny, and very generous gentleman.
                Wish he wrote a book

I'd buy it

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎