• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TheVintageToyKid
    Career Member
    • Jul 23, 2019

Question regarding resin heads

Hi,
    I am thinking about experimenting with casting some resin heads. I haven't tried it yet, but would like to see if I can figure it out. I have a question, however, of those of you who may already be experienced in this area.

Can a resin head be softened like a typical plastic toy part can by placing it in really hot/boiling water? The reason I ask is, if I were to cast a Mego-style head, I would want to be able to soften the neck plug in order to attach the head to a body.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can provide.
    "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."
  • Doctor Dim
    • May 18, 2017

It actually can be softened with heat, but doing so will cause the resin to crumble. Not exactly useful.

Comment

• sprytel
      Talkative Member
      • Jun 26, 2009

Neck plugs need to be sanded down to fit the opening on the body. Heat doesn't help resin heads. Heating the plastic body can make it more malleable, which helps to some extent, but if the neck isn't trimmed to fit, it will put too much pressure and split the shoulder seams.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
        Career Member
        • Jul 23, 2019

Sounds good. Thanks for the input.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Or use a type S body for resin heads. You can take apart the chest and put the neck in.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• megozilla13
            Persistent Member
            • May 10, 2002

Using a Type S body is best bet like Tbolt said. I've boiled resin pieces before to get them soft enough to fit together, never affected the resin afterwards.
            WANTED: Removable Mask ROBIN on Kresge style card

Comment

• Confessional
              Maker & Whatnot
              • Aug 8, 2012

^^ I'll echo that and add the only time I've seen/experienced plastic resin degradation from hot water is when the resin itself is not properly cured, making it unstable in a variety of ways. Otherwise a good quality plastic can take lots of thermal shift.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                Career Member
                • Jul 23, 2019

Thanks, everyone. I usually use Type S bodies for my customs so that is not too much of an issue. However, for one in particular I am using a traditional CTVT muscle body much like the vintage Mego Hulk body and thus am unable to open it up like I would a Type S.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by TheVintageToyKid
                  Thanks, everyone. I usually use Type S bodies for my customs so that is not too much of an issue. However, for one in particular I am using a traditional CTVT muscle body much like the vintage Mego Hulk body and thus am unable to open it up like I would a Type S.
                  Are you dremel handy? I will try to explain this but you can cut the neck plug so it's flat like a key either front to back or side to side and then you can slot the neck hole at the opposite spot. then just put the flattened plug into the slot and turn.
                  You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
                    Career Member
                    • Jul 23, 2019

Thanks, Thunderbolt. I don't own a Dremel, but I should probably invest in one some day considering how much I have delved into the customizing side of things. It's an incredible hobby. I enjoy it so much. I think it really helps, though, to have a community like this one where we can share our thoughts and ideas.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎