X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

The Stand

i've been watching. I admit I do not love this version. the TV miniseries frmo the nineties had better character development and you actually liked the characters. well maybe not all of them. most(not all) of the casting choices are pretty good but i just don't like the flashback story telling for this. i find it kind of distracting actually. i'll keep watching but what are your thoughts on it?
  • megoapesnut
    The name says it all!
    • Dec 3, 2007

My favorite King book and one of my favorite mini-series of all time. I was really looking forward to watching this reboot but I have to agree with you. The flashback story telling absolutely DESTROYED this. I can't see anybody who watching this being able to follow the story line if they haven't read the book. Hell, I have read the book about a dozen times and I am have a hard time following it. VERY disappointing.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

yeah, it's one of my all time favorite novels, period. i think the pacing of the story with the plague all being in flashbacks, takes too much away from who the characters were before, to what they become when called upon. i will finish it but overall it is a disappointment

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

Didn't watch the new series but the reviews seem typical to all remakes.

The Shining, Tommyknockers, Stand, It, Langoliers etc punched you in the face with events because they were on a limited time and budget.

Today, it's like -- let's make the Stand a TV series without a limited end date (depending on the ratings)

Of course it's going to be a piece of s_it

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man was ridiculously over the top. the mewling noises he makes are really irritating

Comment

• megoapesnut
            The name says it all!
            • Dec 3, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
            Ezra Miller as Trashcan Man was ridiculously over the top. the mewling noises he makes are really irritating
            I agree. Just about ALL of the casting sucks dead dog dirt. The entire mini-series is falling apart. I usually am pretty flexible with stuff and don't have strong opinions but I ABSOLUTELY HATEEEEEE this reboot. After the last episode I am asking myself why I am still watching this.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

this thing is a hot mess. whoever gave the teleplay the greenlight should be fired. i don't care if Kings son wrote the teleplay. it's just bad, really, really bad. there is no character development at all. you just don't care about any of them, not even a villain you can really hate. the flashbacks to show the plague instead of having it evolve in real time just did not work. there was no feeling of fear of what was happening

such a shame too, i was really looking forward to it. oh well, still have the book, and the original miniseries

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Rats in the corn!

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                  Rats in the corn!
                  Flies in the buttermilk!

Comment

• megoapesnut
                    The name says it all!
                    • Dec 3, 2007

Did anyone actually finish watching this mess? I stopped at the Trashcan man episode. I am trying to decide whether to pick it back up and watch it or not.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

i finished it. it didn't get any better. there was a new epilogue King wrote which really served no purpose. this remake is best forgotten

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                        Muddling through
                        • Oct 4, 2008

the actress that plays Frannie is really cute though.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎