X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

Oculus Quest 2 VR contraption

For Christmas I picked up an Oculus Quest 2 VR headset for my kids. Oculus has the Vive VR headset which connects to your computer, and the Quest which is a standalone wireless version. The Quest 2 is a newer headset that came out in the fall and has wireless controllers etc..

I've played VR quite a bit over the years and we have a Sony Playstation VR headset which works good, but it's not wireless.

My favorite game is Vader Immortal, which is a Star Wars VR game. Lots of using light sabers, shooting and just random using the force types of things.

One thing I was unprepared for with that game is when Vader walks right up to you threatening you. I immediately turned into a 7 year old and felt intimidated. I had a lot of smiles playing the three episodes of the game. It's kind of short, but there's also a lightsaber Dojo where you can play with lightsabers which is fun too.

Another cool aspect of the Quest is you can watch Youtube VR videos, which are pretty immersive. There's also a Netflix app for it. I know there's not VR movies, but you are actually sitting on a VR couch, in a VR cabin watching a VR big screen tv showing the movie. It sounds weird, but it's kind of a neat way to isolate.

Overall the Quest VR is very cool, works great and I'm finding myself fighting the kids for play time with it. My oldest son has also been connecting it to his PC to play PC only VR games and he says that works really good too.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale
  • EMCE Hammer
    Moderation Engineer
    • Aug 14, 2003

I wondered if this is as cool as it looks. I'd like to give the Vader thing a try. My kids are X-box junkies and I just never adapted to modern controllers, so I haven't really played much with them beyond some Wii sports stuff and that's been a while.

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

I'd recommend if you're interested stay away from most of the video reviews of Vader Immortal. It's available on Playstation VR as well, but I decided to wait to try it on the Quest. The Quest is full on wireless, the controllers are wireless and the hand and position tracking is really good. It's neat interacting with the Storm Troopers, and climbing ladders is a lot of fun.

To play I just go to an open room, put on headphones, and the Quest will let you define your play area. You actually get to see to room around you with the goggle on using the positioning tracking sensors. That will help you define your play area and once you do that you jump into the menu.

I've only hit a ceiling fan a couple of times, and the wall once

I did buy a different head strap for ours. It allows more adjustments and that's a worthy thing to add.

I'm not trying to do a commercial for the Quest, but it truly is fun. Beat Saber is a knockout game as well, and I've been playing a free game, Mission ISS. It's rather dizzying and super easy to get disoriented. https://www.oculus.com/experiences/q...BXscR7UeUuGq9K
      Last edited by drquest; Jan 17, '21, 2:25 PM.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• boss
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 18, 2003

My son got one for Christmas. He likes it, but for the last week or so he hasn’t been able to log in through his Facebook or Oculus account.
        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• drquest
          ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
          • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by boss
          My son got one for Christmas. He likes it, but for the last week or so he hasn’t been able to log in through his Facebook or Oculus account.
          Just tried ours this morning and everything works as normal. The app store was good too, maybe just a glitch for you.
          Danny(Drquest)
          Captain Action HQ
          Retro shirts and stuff
          More retro shirts
          Stuff For Sale

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡