X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YoungOnce
    Career Member
    • Aug 29, 2007

New eBay payment policy?

Forgive me if this has been discussed somewhere else... if so, mods please delete the thread.

Got the notice that eBay will begin deducting their share first and then paying out to seller... I guess that's fine unless I'm missing something.

Also that funds won't be placed in a PayPal account but will be deposited directly into a bank account.

Sounds like there has been a falling out with PayPal maybe? I'm not terribly alarmed at any of this, but wondered what you guys though of it... anything I'm missing?
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

I don't think they've had a falling out with Paypal. I just sold something yesterday and the funds went directly into my paypal account. I've been selling on ebay for over 15 years.
    Are you starting a new account? Maybe things are different for first time sellers? Maybe things will change after you establish yourself.

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Like RonnyG I've been selling there for over 10 years and have not received any kind of notice like that. They've always deducted the sales fees right off the top with me.
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

eBay is switching over to a new system called managed payments, and yes, ALL sellers will eventually be required to switch over.

My company got their notice last year. I just got mine for my personal account this week. You have no say so in the matter. They require you to do it, or you cannot sell any more.

It's really not a big deal. The fees are slightly less, and you don't have to transfer or spend your Paypal money.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

I use paypal plenty so I don't have a problem spending it. Well maybe my days of selling there are nearing an end. They aren't getting access to my bank or CC.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• drquest
            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
            • Apr 17, 2012

I think it's a incremental roll out. They wanted me to do it in December, but I didn't. They sent me another email yesterday saying I have until the 20th I think. After that date I can't list anything new unless I link my bank account with them.

I would be ok with it, but they are just raising their fees so even though we won't have Paypal fees, there's not much benefit for us. Plus they get to keep your money as it's not an immediate payout.

Kind of trashy IMO.
            Danny(Drquest)
            Captain Action HQ
            Retro shirts and stuff
            More retro shirts
            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• RonnyG
              Career Member
              • Apr 23, 2014

It sounds similar to what Mercari does. If I sell something, I don't get paid until it's delivered and the buyer rates me.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

^^ If all that comes to pass I am out. That is ridiculous to have to mail something before getting the money.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

Here's all the info you need: https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center...s-on-ebay.html

It's happening to everyone, no you can't opt out. Ebay will hold your money depending on when they decide to release.

It's a real pain the neck for most sellers as I'm sure I'm not the only one who used whatever cost the person paid to pay for shipping. Now you will pay out of pocket for shipping since your money will not be available instantly anymore. Expect up to a week for your money to be deposited, sometimes twice that, depending on how you decide to structure your payouts.

On the plus side, Ebay takes their money instantly, so you don't get hit with unexpected hundreds of dollars "Ebay fees" at random times in the month.

Ebay obviously had a falling out with PayPal and realized PayPal was getting all those nice fees they could also be getting. There's no real proof of concept if Ebay will offer the same sort of protections that PayPal has.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

well if enough people walk away from ebay they will switch back. i will not link my bank account to ebay. i didn't even do it for paypal

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

I will be out then. There’s no way I am shipping an item out without money in my pocket. They just continue to shoot themselves in the foot.

Comment

• drquest
                        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                        • Apr 17, 2012

It's not ideal for anyone except for eBay. For me I don't sell a ton, but I used Paypal as my play money account. I haven't linked anything to eBay yet, but probably will.

I've been using Mercari the past few months, and it's similar as noted earlier. You don't get paid until the item is in the hands of the buyer. They have 3 days to rate you, and then you get paid. If they don't rate you it's automatic payment after 3 days. They can deposit to your bank account or keep a running balance on Mercari to use to buy other things on Mercari.
                        Danny(Drquest)
                        Captain Action HQ
                        Retro shirts and stuff
                        More retro shirts
                        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• thunderbolt
                          Hi Ernie!!!
                          • Feb 15, 2004

I've been using paypal to pay for Hulu, pet supplies FTC purchases etc.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                            I will be out then. There’s no way I am shipping an item out without money in my pocket. They just continue to shoot themselves in the foot.
                            It seems like most of eBays changes only benefit the buyer. To the point where the buyer has all the power in the transaction. I was balking at linking a bank account. I didn't even get to the part where they delay your payment.

I have a couple non-toy items that I need the larger ebay buyer-pool for. I am going to contact my bank to see what my options are for creating an account just for linking to ebay. Sell these items. And then close up shop. There are many ways to sell toys.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

I only started selling off some comic books and old toys last year and went the eBay route. Now these changes...

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a better option to sell comics and toys? I always felt like eBay was the best way to get your stuff in front of the most eyes (and therefore get the best offers), but maybe the scales have tipped.

In order to keep shipping costs down, I'll often ship media mail, but if I won't get paid until after the books arrive, that could mean a week or two delay... yeesh...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎