Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Thread: Vintage Planet of the Apes lot (including Mego Green Ear Variant Cornelius/Galen)

Ape Vintage Planet of the Apes lot (including Mego Green Ear Variant Cornelius/Galen)

Going to post this link one final time, although auction mentions here don't seem to actually accomplish much of anything:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-PLA...UAAOSw3nJfjJat

Images
    Blog Entries
    Over thirty people clicked and decided not to bid - that's something! Between our humble sample size and the POTA community who regularly views Ebay and passed, one might conclude a lower opening bid and/or splitting the lot might produce different results. Mego collector me is only interested in the Mego figure; the other items are just unwanted extras that are driving up the price. I'm guessing others here reacted similarly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EMCE Hammer View Post
    Over thirty people clicked and decided not to bid - that's something! Between our humble sample size and the POTA community who regularly views Ebay and passed, one might conclude a lower opening bid and/or splitting the lot might produce different results. Mego collector me is only interested in the Mego figure; the other items are just unwanted extras that are driving up the price. I'm guessing others here reacted similarly.
    This. Lots are tough sells at times.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.megomuseum.com/odeon/store/products/

Images
    I sense your frustration.

While, in theory, putting multiple items into a single lot might seem to make perfect sense (especially when wanting to make a quick and simple transaction) it is, unfortunately, rarely a practical option for buyers when we stop to consider the specificity that most collectors possess when hunting down their passion (not to mention the outrageous cost of shipping these days...the book and the VHS cassettes are heavy items and dramatically increase the expense of shipping the entire lot. Where buyers with a primary interest in the book and/or VHS tapes would most likely prefer the lower cost of Media Mail, buyers interested in the Mego figure might prefer Priority or First Class).

If these were my items and I wanted to part with them, I would put the power in the buyers' hands by attracting their attention and cater directly to their interest.

First, I would absolutely list that Mego figure separately and post multiple clear pictures (most especially a clear shot of the head - front & back). Buyers like to know what they're getting for their buck, and good photos are more powerful than paragraphs of written opinion. This will attract both POTA collectors & Mego fans. I would offer Priority, First Class and/or Retail Ground.

Secondly, I would list each of the VHS tapes in separate auctions simply because they are different issues and VHS collectors are generally specific in what they are seeking. I would offer Media Mail and Flat Rate Priority.

Third, I would list the Power book and record set in its own auction and post clear photos of the front and back, a few pages and the record itself. I would offer Media & Priority.

Finally, I would list the Topps book and the single card together in a single auction, perhaps simply offering the card up as a "bonus" with the sale of the book. Again I would advise several pictures, front/back/spine & perhaps some page shots. I would offer Media and Retail Ground.

Enough can never be said about posting good photos of the actual items that you are listing and I would never recommend using stock or borrowed images as it can lead to reluctance and dismissal. I might also consider setting a competitive Buy It Now price to sell quickly and/or inspire an initial competitive bid.

I know this is more work and an increase in listing fees, however you are more likely to move your items and perhaps make more money in the long run...even if you don't sell every piece.

Just my thoughts...best of luck to you!

@Dark Shadow: I absolutely appreciate all the detailed info and suggestions. Truth be told, the lot was originally put together to burn off the single free listing I had remaining a month or so back (use it or lose it, in other words). Normally, the Mego figure, the Power Book & Record Set, and the VHS lot have their own separate listings. I never bothered listing the Topps book because of the stupid overstock/liquidation prices that I've seen it go for, however I do have it posted on my local Craigslist (with the single card included as a bonus, like you suggested). My biggest point of frustration is the pushback I've gotten from potential buyers on the price of the Mego green eared variant. I get told that I'm asking too much, I point out completed sales of the same figure (in the same condition) at higher price points, and then- without failure- it's the old "But I need to double my money" spiel. I mean, every single time. All this being said, I do agree with you that some photos need to be updated and stock images replaced.

As an aside, the two VHS tapes are listed as a lot because any sales under $5 usually results in a loss once you add up the eBay fees (final sale price and shipping), Paypal fees, and the original cost of the item. This wasn't always the case, but they're slowly forcing sellers to give up listing low dollar items. For someone who has an inventory of- say- 10,000+ compact discs and always starts the bid at one cent, the fees aren't problematic because the high dollar sales always balance out (or outright negate) the low ones. For someone like myself who's downsizing and selling things just to get rid of them, it's rapidly becoming counterproductive. It won't be long before $10 is the bare worthwhile minimum.

Anyway, thanks again for both your time and your input.