Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vintage Mego: Captain Americar (Worlds Greatest Superheroes)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Vintage Mego: Captain Americar (Worlds Greatest Superheroes)

Vintage Mego this week looks at the Mego World’s Greatest Superheroes Captain Americar, which was released in 1976 and only sold for one brief year. Why did Spider-Man and Captain America even get cars? We discuss that and more in the week’s installment. Join us at MegoMania: https://www.facebook.com/groups/megomania Subscribe to our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwY..._as=subscriber

More...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I became obsessed by Mego Captain America around the time the Reb Brown movies aired, and I received a Cap from the JCPenney's catalogue (IIRC) for Christmas around that time.

And I obtained a very nice, loose Americar several years ago and really enjoy it. Its shield is mounted upside-down, but its condition overrides my OCD.

Good video, thanks!
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Goblin19
      Talkative Member
      • May 2, 2002

I love the vehicles, especially the non traditional ones. Green Arrowcar is just a thing of beauty and both the Spidercar and Captain Americar are favorites of mine.

I got mine years ago on my birthday when I was visiting a vintage toy store.named The Toys That Time Forgot. I was going to pass on it, but my wife encouraged me to get it since I had just gotten birthday money. She’s actually the devil in my ear on many occasions like these, as I’m a born cheapskate. Of course, it does have a damaged shield. It does work but has a crack beneath it.

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

I still do not have the Captain America car and to be truthful it doesn't bother me. Love the artwork. I was surprised that Mego didn't remodel the Batcycle for Cap.
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Goblin--I know TTF well--it's my "local" comics shop and I've sold several Megos there. The Arrowocar is my favorite, too.

Monitor, I have a CHiPS cycle I hope to customize for Cap.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Goblin19
            Talkative Member
            • May 2, 2002

Sadly, Toys That Time Forgot is one of the last around me and it’s about an hour drive. I always tell Cleveland area people about it when the topic of our closest toy store Big Fun closing comes up..

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

It's about 30 minutes for me, I like Canal Fulton although my favorite Thai restaurant there recently closed.

Such a shame about Big Fun, I had been there twice.
              Last edited by PNGwynne; Jan 10, '21, 12:15 PM.

Comment

• drquest
                ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                • Apr 17, 2012

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                It's about 30 minutes for me, I like Canal Fulton although my favorite Thai restaurant there recently closed.

I go there when I'm in the area to check out Toys that Time Forgot. It's always full of eye candy stuff...
                Danny(Drquest)
                Captain Action HQ
                Retro shirts and stuff
                More retro shirts
                Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                  Verbose Member
                  • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! I got the Cap car about 10 years ago or so, and I love it. It's a shame it didn't do better in sales, and it is odd that Cap didn't get a motorcycle. Cap and his motorcycle were cemented by the Reb Brown films (which came after the Americar had come and gone), so I wonder if those had gone over better, and Mego hadn't abandoned new items for 8" WGSH, if we may have seen a Cap cycle eventually? Mattel even gave Cap the Secret Wars Turbo Cycle, which is clearly meant to be his ride. It has his shield on it too!

I always wanted the Mego Captain Americar as a kid after seeing it in a Heroes World ad in a back issue I picked up at a flea market. It's probably why I bought Toy Biz's Captain America Turbo Coupe when their Marvel Super Heroes line debuted in 1990. The shield gimmick is very similar!

Chris
                  sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                    Museum Correspondent
                    • Apr 2, 2002

I had no idea these were that rare. I had all 3 as a kid and replaced them early on as a collector. AND now I don't feel so bad my Americar box is faded on one side. Given their rarity, I think I'm gonna stop shooting the arrows and flipping out the shield.
                    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                      Big Fun kinda did themselves in. They sold a lot of cheap junk and incomplete stuff. Nothing good was priced, as they would gauge you and pull a number out of their hat. The really good stuff they wouldn't even sell you. They either sent it out to be graded or put it on eBay. I remember standing in their store with a literal wad of cash and wanting to buy a sealed ESB Yoda board game, and the owner flat out refused to sell it. He told me I could bid on it. Never went back.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

I never had the Captain Americar, but it was definitely cool and well maybe someday.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

^I think I was very lucky to buy mine when I did, around 2013-14. I did upgrade my Arrowcar. Mine are all loose but very nice.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎