X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

Death of the Planet of the Apes

"Finally the truth is revealed. Beneath the irradiated wasteland, the astronaut faces the deadly wonders of a gleaming city and its inhuman citizenry. On the surface the gorillas--led by General Ursus--launch an all-out assault to exterminate the savage animals known as humans.

And out in the desert, the chimpanzee scientist Milo strives to reconstruct the spacecraft that brought the humans from the past. Events spiral at a breakneck pace, with the fate of a world at stake."

anyone read this? I just finished it. great read. really filled in a lot. written by the same guy that wrote Conspiracy on the Planet of the Apes. I love that he even brought in Alan Verdon. i hope he writes some more
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

I did buy a copy of it ("Death/POTA"), but have yet to read it...

Drew's "Conspiracy" book was a letdown, other than some of the great art within its pages. That book gave me a headache.

When "Conspiracy" was released, I believe he said he had at least two more books he wanted to write. I don't think "Conspiracy" lived up to expectations, that's why "Death" was released by a different publisher. As to whether or not he ever wrote another novel, I have no idea. I don't Facebook, but the last time I did email him, he said to follow him there for any information on any new books to be released.

Comment

• apes3978
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 19, 2005

Did you ever buy and/or read the other book of new "APES" material, the anthology book called "Tales from the Forbidden Zone", also released by Titan Books? I know Drew had a short story in that book as well.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i saw that but have not picked it up yet. i think he had 6 books planned but the others have not been done, as far as I know. i think he wrote some Buck Rogers books too

Comment

• warlock664
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
          ...written by the same guy that wrote Conspiracy on the Planet of the Apes.
          Conspiracy of the Planet of the Apes, actually; on would’ve sounded better.
          I had the misfortune of reading that, and it was just awful, like really bad fan-fic. As a near-lifelong “Apes” nut, I had really looked forward to it. Then I read it. Ugh.
          If this new book is anything like that one (and I’d have to assume it is), I’ll pass.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by warlock664
            I had the misfortune of reading that, and it was just awful, like really bad fan-fic. As a near-lifelong “Apes” nut, I had really looked forward to it. Then I read it. Ugh.

I echo your thoughts on everything.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

well, to each their own. i enjoyed both books

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I'm a bit of an outlier in Ape fandom but there seems to be some sort of controversy surrounding these publications? I'm a collector and fan but I don't delve into new fiction.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                  Muddling through
                  • Oct 4, 2008

i guess I am in the minority. i also love Beneath. In fact it is my favorite of the Apes films, ever since i was a kid. a lot of the reviews on the book are that it is padded, and repetitive, and has plot holes. so what? So did the movies. I enjoy these things for what they are, not for what they are not

Comment

• warlock664
                    Persistent Member
                    • Feb 15, 2009

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                    i guess I am in the minority. i also love Beneath. In fact it is my favorite of the Apes films, ever since i was a kid. a lot of the reviews on the book are that it is padded, and repetitive, and has plot holes. so what? So did the movies. I enjoy these things for what they are, not for what they are not
                    Actually, Beneath is my 2nd favorite Apes movie (the original Planet is clearly the best in the series IMO). And I really wanted to like Conspiracy . Had it captured the heart of the film series, I could’ve easily overlooked any glaring plot holes. I just don’t think it was very well written; as I said, it seemed like bad fan-fic.
                    Trust me, I’ve read and enjoyed plenty of things that the majority would consider dire: the original Doc Savage pulp stories (the Murray books are pretty bad though), Shadow pulps, The Spider. As you say, to each their own.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Indeed. I enjoyed some of the Murray books a great deal.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                        Maker & Whatnot
                        • Aug 8, 2012

As a kid, Beneath was so forbidding that I found it disturbing, but as a teenager and adult it became my fav in appreciation of its oddities and darkness… the Empire Strikes Back of the Apes.

I don't consume much of the new fiction either, but do have a few books in the to-read-pile with the artwork of Conspiracy having sucked me in. I suppose after recently reading Rinzler's impressive book, everything else is going to be somewhat disappointing for a while.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Confessional
                          As a kid, Beneath was so forbidding that I found it disturbing, but as a teenager and adult it became my fav in appreciation of its oddities and darkness… the Empire Strikes Back of the Apes.

I don't consume much of the new fiction either, but do have a few books in the to-read-pile with the artwork of Conspiracy having sucked me in. I suppose after recently reading Rinzler's impressive book, everything else is going to be somewhat disappointing for a while.
                          are you referring to the making of book he put out a couple years ago?

Comment

• Confessional
                            Maker & Whatnot
                            • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Yes, the 2018 tome of original film knowledge!

Comment

• megoapesnut
                              The name says it all!
                              • Dec 3, 2007

I stumbled on Death last year sometime and it was a great read.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎