X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Perfect Mego Head Size?

I know head size is a common complaint about new 1:9 scale figures. But variability in head size is not particularly new. Bruce Wayne's head is a little small. John Baker's head is a cantaloupe. What figure(s) would you say is the "Platonic ideal" of head size?
  • apes3978
    Permanent Member
    • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by sprytel
    I know head size is a common complaint about new 1:9 scale figures. But variability in head size is not particularly new. Bruce Wayne's head is a little small. John Baker's head is a cantaloupe. What figure(s) would you say is the "Platonic ideal" of head size?
    I thought the original figures of "Action Jackson", the "POTA" line, the Duke boys, The Waltons, Starsky and Hutch, "ST" all had heads that were in correct proportion.

I haven't seen any of the newest Re-Mego figures, so I can't comment on those.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Kirk. Top end is Mr Fantastic.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I keep a Mego Klingon head in my glove box if a comparison is needed when out shopping. And I'm inclined to agree with CG.

I think a Mego head can be slightly too big, because the clothing compensates and balances out the doll.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

That is interesting. I tend to think of Kirk as the gold standard too... but then again, Trek is my favorite Mego line. And based on some quick measurements, Kirk and the Klingon are nearly identical dimensions... even closer than Spock, McCoy, or Scotty are to Kirk.

Comment

• apes3978
            Permanent Member
            • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by PNGwynne

I think a Mego head can be slightly too big, because the clothing compensates and balances out the doll.
            True enough.

Comment

• scott metzger
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 9, 2007

I always considered Superman to be the ideal size. There are only a handful of actual oversized heads in the original line; the problem is MUCH more prevalent these days.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Yeah, Trek is a good barometer. I think Mister Fantastic's head is a bit on the larger size, but it's very Kirbyesque, so seems to fit. Jon from CHiPs certainly seems to be the most obvious 8" outlier. Of course 12" Captain America is the biggest offender in that scale.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Original mego Star Trek is probably the best for comparison.

Comment

• Type3Toys
                    Home Of The Type3 Body
                    • Jan 18, 2005

Here is the thing a lot of people fail to consider. If the idea is Mego scale = Human scale. All those sizes vary a bit. So even if you find a body that is an 1/8" different in height, it's still in scale because of real human variance.
                    Same with a head. Ear to ear, hair to chin, quite a bit of wiggle room.
                    What about hair style? Smooth slick back Dracula to a puffed up Duke is going to be significantly different.
                    Same with a masked superhero head vs an unmasked head.
                    LOOK
                    Action Figure Design & Prototypes
                    For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
                    To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

I don't mind too much when heads are on the big side, but to my eye obviously undersized ones really take away from the figure.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                        Radioactive!
                        • Feb 13, 2010

For me, it's about how big the head is in comparison to the chest. There's a bit of leeway in this depending on the size/cut/layers of the clothes, but oversized heads can be a dealbreaker.

Comment

• megowgsh
                          Customego HoF Curator
                          • Nov 19, 2003

POTA Virdon. I use him to scale ALL of my head shrinks and enlargements.
                          Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• ODBJBG
                            Permanent Member
                            • May 15, 2009

Kirks is good, Superman and Bruce Wayne are ideal IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎