Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perfect Mego Head Size?

Images

Perfect Mego Head Size?

I know head size is a common complaint about new 1:9 scale figures. But variability in head size is not particularly new. Bruce Wayne's head is a little small. John Baker's head is a cantaloupe. What figure(s) would you say is the "Platonic ideal" of head size?

Quote Originally Posted by sprytel View Post
    I know head size is a common complaint about new 1:9 scale figures. But variability in head size is not particularly new. Bruce Wayne's head is a little small. John Baker's head is a cantaloupe. What figure(s) would you say is the "Platonic ideal" of head size?
    I thought the original figures of "Action Jackson", the "POTA" line, the Duke boys, The Waltons, Starsky and Hutch, "ST" all had heads that were in correct proportion.

I haven't seen any of the newest Re-Mego figures, so I can't comment on those.

Kirk. Top end is Mr Fantastic.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Images
    Blog Entries
    I keep a Mego Klingon head in my glove box if a comparison is needed when out shopping. And I'm inclined to agree with CG.

I think a Mego head can be slightly too big, because the clothing compensates and balances out the doll.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    That is interesting. I tend to think of Kirk as the gold standard too... but then again, Trek is my favorite Mego line. And based on some quick measurements, Kirk and the Klingon are nearly identical dimensions... even closer than Spock, McCoy, or Scotty are to Kirk.

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post

I think a Mego head can be slightly too big, because the clothing compensates and balances out the doll.
    True enough.

I always considered Superman to be the ideal size. There are only a handful of actual oversized heads in the original line; the problem is MUCH more prevalent these days.

Images
    Yeah, Trek is a good barometer. I think Mister Fantastic's head is a bit on the larger size, but it's very Kirbyesque, so seems to fit. Jon from CHiPs certainly seems to be the most obvious 8" outlier. Of course 12" Captain America is the biggest offender in that scale.

Chris
    http://megomuseum.com/community/signaturepics/sigpic22_1.gif

Original mego Star Trek is probably the best for comparison.

Images
    Here is the thing a lot of people fail to consider. If the idea is Mego scale = Human scale. All those sizes vary a bit. So even if you find a body that is an 1/8" different in height, it's still in scale because of real human variance.
    Same with a head. Ear to ear, hair to chin, quite a bit of wiggle room.
    What about hair style? Smooth slick back Dracula to a puffed up Duke is going to be significantly different.
    Same with a masked superhero head vs an unmasked head.
    LOOK
    Action Figure Design & Prototypes
    For Samples See Home -Type 3 Body & Spiderman
    To Contact: type3toys@comcast.net