X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

Who uses an airbrush?

I need some advice. I have been researching airbrushes. They seem more expensive and more complicated than I would have thought. So if you have used an airbrush, please give me guidance whether (a) it is worth it and (b) what I should be looking for as a beginner. I'm looking at using it mainly for painting custom heads and other small items like miniatures. Thanks!
  • LonnieFisher
    Eloquent Member
    • Jan 19, 2008

You might find this video informative. I haven't watched it, but it keeps getting recommended to me by Youtube.

Comment

• ToyTalk
      Career Member
      • Mar 25, 2020

I use an airbrush for my miniatures and it has changed the way I paint. Like any new method of painting, it takes time to get used to it and learn the new techniques. Watch nearly every video you can. I suggest a top feeder and keep the options very simple for your first airbrush. Play around often and as much as you can. The more you play around with it, the better you will get. Practice on paper until you are ready to try the real thing. Clean the brush between every color. It's fast and easy to do. Not doing it will do bad things to the brush and your pallet.
      Looking for FTC figures from 5-10 years ago

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Thanks to you both. Lonnie, I sort of went down the rabbit hole on Youtube videos yestersay... so thanks for pointing me in that direction. I guess I'm still wondering if it is worth the expense and learning curve, vs. more time/better supplies spent on brush painting.

Comment

• ToyTalk
          Career Member
          • Mar 25, 2020

It depends on how serious you are about the quality of your miniatures. I see the difference like this (using some Games Workshop terminology): Battle Ready = these are painted well enough to play the game. Distinct colors used for the base and may or may not have some layering. Parade Ready = this paintjob has the pinstripes on it and is ready to make onlookers go "Wow". This has the base plus layers and highlights blended nicely. Competition Ready = this one has all of the fixings and makes most people wonder how many hours of the painters life were lost creating this piece of art. Color blending, layering, highlights and all are done in ways that brushes simply cannot do.

If you want to produce the competition ready, get an airbrush and take the time to learn how to use it.

Comment

• sprytel
            Talkative Member
            • Jun 26, 2009

Oh, I'm definitely aiming for competition ready... I'm just not sure the airbrush is the only thing holding me back from reaching that level!

Comment

• ToyTalk
              Career Member
              • Mar 25, 2020

With painting, you never stop learning. There are always new techniques, various paints, etc. Nothing compensates for practice. Lots of practice

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎