X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

1973 Ideal Evel Knievel Catalog

In 1973, New York-based Ideal Toys created toys based on Butte Montana’s daredevil son, Robert “Evel” Knievel and history was made! Many thanks to Rob Chatlin for the terrific scans. Thanks to Knievel being a household name and the toy’s clever concept, it became a hot seller and one of the most memorable toy […]

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Really nice pictures. One of the top iconic toys of the 70s.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Myoldtoys
      Veteran Member
      • May 15, 2012

The two page picture of the cycle jumping is fantastic.

Comment

• tay666
        Career Member
        • Dec 27, 2008

I loved that figure and bike when I was a kid.
        I remember going to the drive-in and seeing a movie about him too.

Also, ended up with a 2nd hand van from some yard sale when I was little too.
        Man, that was a score!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

The stunt cycle is truly one of the greatest toys ever created. A toy that actually does what it advertises, and (other than the handle bars) is very durable. I think I came very near to jumping mine over my house. And it always survived.

Great catalog and pics! Thanks to Rob and Brian for sharing!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Valor
            • Aug 25, 2017

It only stuck the landing in the commercial.

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

As a kid in the 70's who adored Evel I never heard of Robby Knievel until his exploits in the 1990's --- jumping over a an oncoming train etc.

I just can't remember anything "Captain" Robby Knievel pre-1990's-ish

BTW, how is Rob Chatlin ?

I super miss him
              Last edited by Mikey; Jan 2, '21, 9:37 PM.

Comment

• Chris
                Persistent Member
                • Dec 23, 2009

Even to this day I would rank the Stunt Cycle as the #1 toy ever.
                When Playing Mantis reproduced them I bought a bunch and gave them out as Christmas presents.
                If a Mego figure of God did not exist, it would be necessary for EMCE to invent him.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                  Permanent Member
                  • Jun 29, 2018

Robert is Evel's Secret Identity name. I loved how in the more recent movie he was given the Evel name by a deputy at the jail when he called his cell mate and him Awful Knauffel and Evel Knievel.

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

I made sure DJ had a 70's style Christmas, so Evel was part of that. I noticed the helmet on these new ones is quite loose on his head so I took a hot glue gun and built up the inner sides a little bit with that rubber adhesive so when it dried it would act like padding and hug Evel's head without hurting the paint. I figure the paint on the outside of the helmet is on its way to lots of scuffing soon anyway, but we'll try and preserve what's inside for a spell.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                      Persistent Member
                      • Aug 27, 2007

Are the new ones any good? They look great in the ads, of course. Has anyone mixed and matched with the 70's EK stuff?

Comment

• MIB41
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                        Are the new ones any good? They look great in the ads, of course. Has anyone mixed and matched with the 70's EK stuff?
                        They are much better than the Playing Mantis ones which I never felt had any zip to them. They can also go a pretty long way before wiping out. But having said that, I'm not sure they're quite as good as the original. You'll definitely have fun with them. You can do all sorts of jumps which gets that old feeling again, but it still feels like its missing a gear compared to the old ones. But its measurably better over the last redo. I feel like I got my moneys worth and my grandson loves it. You will want to pad the inside of the helmet on Evel though because the head they made looks like a second generation mold which makes it smaller, so the helmet is too loose. My hot glue treatment on the inside of the helmet gave it sufficient padding so it fits perfect now.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        🥰
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎