X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Home Filled With Toys From The Early 80's

There are a lot of "we bought a storage locker and found 10,000 Jurassic Park Toys" videos and they never really pay off.

But this is one kinda nuts. It's predominantly 1980-85. Some last run Mego makes an appearance, and some awesome playsets, but the "wow" stuff is Star Wars and GI Joe. This is the first video, but there's an entire cavalcade because there's sooo much stuff.

• RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Awesome! I would be in toy heaven! Did they say how much they payed for it all?

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

They allude to it being around that 40K.

In this video it's just some hall closet. They don't see much at first but carded Barbie accessories. Then the dude grabs a handful of carded/boxed Dinah-Mite outfits. Lord only knows when and where she bought them. Was Dinah-Mite being sold in the 80s? Dinah-Mite is at the 6 minute mark.

Last edited by hedrap; Dec 30, '20, 1:54 PM.

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

Crazy video, packrat extreme!
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

It's really depressing. It's a warning of when collecting crosses into hoarding. It's a warning to keep your collection small and manageable. As well as open your stuff and enjoy it while you have time left.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I've been watching this, it's pretty entertaining although it amazes me how little the owner of a vintage shop knows about anything pre-1983.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

^I thought the same thing! And he's not a kid. The dude is in our 40ish age range, but he's blank on anything pre-80s.

There's a video where the basement has a family chest of drawers that was apparently handed down since the early 1900s. It's literally drawers full of silver half-dollar coins.

From what I can gather from their comments, she wasn't a hoarder. That the house wasn't strewn about like that when she lived there. It was packed but a lot of the stuff that's laying about happened later and then the place was abandoned for years, maybe a decade or more. I don't think she had Cabbage Patch and Star Wars just thrown about the living room. The tell to me is the 96 toy guide they find. Hoarders aren't worried about market value because they're not looking to sell.

I think she had three kids with the daughter as the oldest. They bought out the TRU clearance lanes from what...78-88? At some point in the 80s, someone got clued in on "hot toy value", so they started buying cases, then something changed, (maybe the dad passed). Around 96, one of them tried selling and it was too much work for little return.

The fact none of the kids bothered to go through anything for years makes me think the youngest held the toy claim and has now passed. These aren't tin toys from the 30s or Marx pieces. It's Barbie, Star Wars, GI Joe and Transformers.

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

So I found out who this was. This was a house owned by three generations. The grandma passed away about a decade ago. She was the one who bought alot for the grankids who are from our age group. No one has lived there since, but her son held onto it as it was his family home, until he passed this fall. The grandkids, now successful adults are the ones selling it. They're the opposite of hoarders. Very connected to the community. So it did get rummaged through after she passed and before the videos.

Comment

• Valor
                  • Aug 25, 2017

Very strange. It's as if all the inhabitants had to leave suddenly without taking anything. I mean, who leaves behind babysitter money? It's clear that a young girl lived there, not just grandma.

Comment

• msenger76
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 3, 2009

As the father of a 15 month old, i was kinda excited by that vintage box of pampers sitting on top of the carded SW in the closet.

Comment

• drquest
                      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                      • Apr 17, 2012

I just kept watching these videos, it's just crazy stuff. Over 40 carded Star Wars was in a closet in a bag under some stuff...

This video is the last day and they found a desk they had to bust open full of money, silver dollars etc...

Danny(Drquest)
                      Captain Action HQ
                      Retro shirts and stuff
                      More retro shirts
                      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• VintageJoe70
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 12, 2016

I'm more curious in the details surrounding how this house came to be in this condition with all this stuff...What happened to the owners did they suddenly vanish...Witness Protection...lol...
                        https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Scott777
                          Museum Patron
                          • Jan 4, 2023

Collector. Hoarder.
                          Tom"A"to.Tom"AH"to

Comment

• danadoll
                            Micronaut Nut!
                            • Apr 11, 2005

Wow...or...Whoa! I don’t which.