X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megowgsh
    Customego HoF Curator
    • Nov 19, 2003

Most Prolific Comic Book Artist Teams: Pencilers and Inkers

Where can I find a list of the most prolific comic book artist teams?

In other words, what pencilers and inkers teamed up the most when it comes to comic books?

Is it Byrne and Austin? Is it Hannigan and Rubinstein? Is it Perez and Sinnott?

I cannot find anything online that provides this information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Austin

PS I am not looking for anybody's guesses here. I am looking for cold, hard, verifiable facts that I can reference. Thanks!
    Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Well if there’s no research on line it’s probably anyone’s guess. I’ll go with Kirby and Sinnott. Kirby is hands down the most historically prolific artist in comics so it would be logical to go with him and someone. Could be Kirby and Joe Simon too.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• thunderbolt
      Hi Ernie!!!
      • Feb 15, 2004

Kirby and Sinnott run unbroken on ff from 44 to 102 was 58 issues. There were more before 44. Plus they did some Thor together. Also Atlas monster stories. I am thinking they may be the champs
      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MRP
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 19, 2016

You could go to the Grand Comic Book Database (www.comicbook.org) to do the research. Do an advanced search that puts both the penciller and inker in the search criteria and get the results for that pairing, but I don't know that someone has done that kind of tallying already.

My educated guess would be Buscema/Chan for the sheer number of pages in Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword of Conan they did together, but I am not certain. It's my educated guess only because Roy Thomas did a tally of the pages they had all done together at one point in the letters column of Conan and commented they were on the verge of passing Kirby's output on FF, and that was a couple of years before Thomas run on Conan ended, and Buscema/Chan outlasted him on the book. What throws a wrinkle in this is the production shops like the Iger shop that literally turned out thousands of pages with uncredited teams working together to supply multiple publishers with content during the Golden Age.

-M
        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Brown Bear
          Still Old School
          • Feb 14, 2008

My favorite team up was always Curt Swan & Bob Oxner.
          Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• MegoSteve
            Superman's Pal
            • Jun 17, 2005

I was going to suggest maybe Dan DeCarlo or Stan Goldberg, but I'm not sure if inkers were consistent. (Probably.)

Dave Sim and Gerhard did over 200 issues of Cerebus together.

Comment

• thunderbolt
              Hi Ernie!!!
              • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by MegoSteve
              I was going to suggest maybe Dan DeCarlo or Stan Goldberg, but I'm not sure if inkers were consistent. (Probably.)

Dave Sim and Gerhard did over 200 issues of Cerebus together.
              DeCarlo did a lot of his own inking and he did over 1600 issues of various stuff for Archie. He might be the true king.

Comment

• megowgsh
                Customego HoF Curator
                • Nov 19, 2003

For those interested, this is from a member of Grand Comics Database...

"From advanced query US comic stories, including reprints because I don't know how to remove them:

For stories:

Dan DeCarlo, Rudy Lapick: 2763
                Charles Nicholas (signed), Vince Alascia (signed) : 1152
                Ross Andru, Mike Esposito: 1113

For pages:

Dan DeCarlo, Rudy Lapick: 14705
                Ross Andru, Mike Esposito: 12238
                Carmine Infantino, Joe Giella: 9951

These are counts for the exact text, as you can see in the Nicholas/Alascia record. It does not consolidate all the various ways to credit someone, but these are the contenders.

A naive consolidation for DeCarlo and Lapick gives me: 3859 stories and 20851 pages. But this includes Dan DeCarlo Jr. and stories with more than one penciller or inker."
                Check out ALL my customs at https://www.facebook.com/megowgshcustoms

Comment

• thunderbolt
                  Hi Ernie!!!
                  • Feb 15, 2004

Stories are usually multiple per issue with Archie so still need to get an issue count. DeCarlo will probably still come out on top.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                    Hi Ernie!!!
                    • Feb 15, 2004

Surprised Curt Swan or Wayne Boring didn't come closer

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎