Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is Mego Missing the Mark?

I wonder how FTC has gotten around that? Something different in the original agreement before Warners got so picky? Or is the fact that FTC is using the more classic packaging the actual reason Mego can't do that? Maybe Mego's packaging can't be similar to avoid confusion in the market.
    Last edited by scott metzger; Dec 28, '20 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I wonder how FTC has gotten around that? Something different in the original agreement before Warners got so picky? Or is the fact that FTC is using the more classic packaging the actual reason Mego can't do that? Maybe Mego's packaging can't be similar to avoid confusion in the market.
    I believe it’s because Mego has a mass market license. Everything on the shelf with a WB license seem to follow the same template.

FTC’s license is more boutique and not on mass market shelves, so perhaps they don’t have the same restrictions. Maybe they were even grandfathered in.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonGhost View Post
    I believe it’s because Mego has a mass market license.
    It 100 percent is because of this. We have the same licenses here at work and yeah, our DC stuff is particularly bland.

I can't show it but I saw the card design that Mego submitted that WB shot down, it was beautiful.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.megomuseum.com/odeon/store/products/

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    It 100 percent is because of this. We have the same licenses here at work and yeah, our DC stuff is particularly bland.

I can't show it but I saw the card design that Mego submitted that WB shot down, it was beautiful.
    Well, if WB or DC won't listen to their licensees, maybe they'd listen to their customers.
    I'd be happy to point out to these corporate geniuses that I'd buy more of their product if the packaging didn't suck.
    First rule of retail is presentation is EVERYTHING. I buy two of every FTC figure because the cards are gorgeous, despite them costing more than double what Mego charges.
    I only buy one of each Mego...no need to keep carded figures, so there you go.

Blog Entries
    have at it. Style guides are BS most of the time.

Images
    We have to stick to a style guide provided and not have free reign of google images like folks may think. Throw in requests to keep the character's image off the front of the card and you're left with less options. We do our best staying within the guidelines we must follow.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Bear View Post
    We have to stick to a style guide provided and not have free reign of google images like folks may think. Throw in requests to keep the character's image off the front of the card and you're left with less options. We do our best staying within the guidelines we must follow.
    Just out of curiosity...do they ever offer an explanation of WHY they don't want the character's image on the cards, or is it one of those "because we said so" kind of deals?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post
    Just out of curiosity...do they ever offer an explanation of WHY they don't want the character's image on the cards, or is it one of those "because we said so" kind of deals?
    Reason was that the character IS the figure itself and not the package. Seeing the figure side by side with the image was considered redundant. The consumer should be drawn to the toy first. Certainly not aligned with virtually every other toy packaging out there but this was the reason.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Blog Entries
    Having worked with a lot of kids brands at one point in my career, there are people that have jobs that need to justify their existence. I can't think of a license I had that didn't have to have at least one sniggling change to my work, even after following the rigid guidelines.

Also, many of these people aren't fans of the properties they manage, it's just a job. I do know some people that are, there are absolutely some folks in charge of properties that should be there thanks to their love but it's the exception, not the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown Bear View Post
    Reason was that the character IS the figure itself and not the package. Seeing the figure side by side with the image was considered redundant. The consumer should be drawn to the toy first. Certainly not aligned with virtually every other toy packaging out there but this was the reason.
    Wow. You'd think they would realize how backwards that thinking is. Arguably the most popular figure cards of all time have always had the character pictured...Kenner Super Powers anyone? Hasbro has made an entire business out of nostalgia just for those cards.
    Too bad. Maybe someday they'll try something different.