Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

The DC style guide is about pushing visual language. You could remove the text and know what you're looking at. It's ugly but the imprint is clear. So somebody in southeast asia gets the same message as somebody in southeast united states.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by MIB41
      Excellent examples Brian. And it really supports the whole idea of how tired products become when the packaging all looks the same. You almost forget to look at the actual product because the same graphics are screaming at you. And I'm so conditioned from old school marketing to think similar packaging means its all connected to a series, so its always disappointing to see how unrelated much of it actually is. I never thought the bat symbol would become its own brand like a hood ornament.
      That started decades ago when research showed certain logos/symbols were global. The Bat Symbol, Supes S and Spidey's mask were top ten along with Mickey and McDonald's Arches.

Comment

• ODBJBG
        Permanent Member
        • May 15, 2009

To be fair, I've not been overly wowed by any of the new Mego packages. I don't really care that much, mind you, but I would agree that a really nice bit of card art does sometimes push a figure into being something more. I'd argue that Mego's biggest weakness in this regard is that very few packages look the same. That could be a good thing, but it also makes things a bit strange.

That said, most modern toys have awful packaging. Star Wars Black comes to mind as painfully dull and uninspired. Even though I get at the time it was supposed to be unique because it was so stripped down and represented a "premium" experience. Even though eventually it was just the same ol' stuff.

The new ReAction Super 7 figures have the best card art.

Also, DC is very ignorant with their card art. Mattel/DC did the same thing a few years ago when they made ALL of their cards identical... Which meant it was difficult for consumers to discern what figures belonged in what line... And IMPOSSIBLE for retailers to figure out what toys went on what pegs. I'm of the belief that actually killed a few of Mattel's lines as a result.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^It seems odd that DC/WB would want their SpinMaster kids toys looking like their adult-centric McFarlane line, since they are both at retail, in the same aisle. Not surprisingly, McFarlane is leaning heavily into the modern, darker aspects of the DCU, with Metal, Batman Who Laughs, little demon imp Robins, etc. Nightmare fuel for little kids, sold right alongside the fun looking Spinmaster toys, in the exact same packaging. Baffling.

But as Brian pointed out, it's the same packaging as crock pots, stickers, wallets, keychains, etc. And when that looked like Super Powers, it wasn't that bad. But this is just...BLAND.

Again, I don't hold any of these against the Mego team. They did their best.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• MegoSteve
            Superman's Pal
            • Jun 17, 2005

It is a shame seeing all of the bland DC packaging. Their figures would sell so much better if they gave licensors a little bit more freedom. Case in point: those GI Joe examples posted in this thread make small, boring figures look so exciting. Imagine how bad those toys would look without pictures of the characters... oh, wait, you don't have to because you can look at DC's stuff.

It's no wonder DC/Warner is having so many problems. Their executives really have no idea what is entertaining and exciting and how to tell compelling stories featuring their awesome characters to the public. No wonder Marvel continues to eat their lunch at the box office and with comic book and toy sales. It's telling to walk down a toy aisle at Target or Walmart and see rows of empty pegs after Christmas... except for all of the unsold DC figures.

Comment

• SpideyDude73
              • Jul 5, 2019

Some really great replies everyone. I agree... some of the best figures came on really nice looking cards. My memories of Star Wars figures back in the day were split between the figures themselves and seeing all the figures on card at the store. Being a non-opener the package is 90% of it for me now. You would think companies like Mego would understand that a decent percentage of their customers ARE non-openers and would understand the value of great packaging.

Comment

• toothaction
                Career Member
                • Jul 15, 2017

It remains a bummer, though - I want to feel conflicted about sending packaging off to the landfill, not compelled to!

Such a contrast between what Mego is (forced) to do and literally every backing card ever for Super7's ReAction line.
                >>> Looking for a few Bif Bang Pow! pretties. Please click to see if you can help!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎