X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

My first toy review...Universal Monster BendyFigs from Noble Toys

And the award for worst Universal Monster toys of 2020 goes to...BendyFigs from Noble Toys.
    I don't usually do "worst" reviews but I received a set of these for Christmas, and was so incredibly let down and underwhelmed by them,
    I felt I needed to spare others from purchasing them. Your mileage may vary, but here are my thoughts.

1.) If you're going to pay for the license to make Universal Monsters, then MAKE Universal Monsters. These ugly caricatures do not look like any of the actors we love and have a passing resemblance at best...surely a Karloff or Glenn Strange version would have been preferable to this cartoonishly generic version? The head sculpt is absolutely terrible, and his dark olive coloring doesn't help matters.

2.) It's not even a good TOY. I would think the basic function of a bendable figure would be to actually BEND. The figures barely move at all. A combination of VERY stiff rubber and weak wire means it will not hold even a slight pose without wanting to return to it's static position, so aside from being butt-ugly, it also fails at the one thing it's actually supposed to do...bend.

3.) Price. My wife informed me that the set of four of these cost a whopping $56 direct from Noble Toys. That is unfathomable to me. These are dollar store toys at best, worth nowhere near $14 each. Especially considering they don't use any actor likenesses. I've seen similar generic Frankenstein toys sell for $2.

My final verdict...Accuracy: D+, Functionality: D-, Value: D These are an easy pass. I suspect they will be available in years to come on eBay for far less than they cost now. If you just want some generic monsters, wait. You'll be able to get them cheaper down the road.

UNIVERSAL-MONSTERS-Frankenstein-Bendyfigs-Biegefigur.jpg
    NN1166.jpg
  • alex
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 15, 2009

Agreed they look ugly, like the card art though.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

If you would like a review of the other three, Toy Shiz covered them on his YouTube channel.

The fact that the paint begins to crack when you bend these is another deterrent. The only one I would even consider buying is the Creature, because they strangely made a figure of the 1987 Monster Squad version...that Universal doesn't even own!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^I'm amazed he got as much movement as he did out of the Bride. I only opened Frankenstein and the Creature and they barely move.

Funny about the cracking paint too...none of my 90's Bend 'Ems have cracked paint, and you can bend the hell out of them.

Also, he was sent these for review, so he didn't pay for them...they are in no way worth almost $60 a set.
        Last edited by enyawd72; Dec 27, '20, 7:20 PM.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^I think it's kind of funny he very honestly disses the product, despite them sending them to him for free. I appreciate his honesty, but he wasn't a jerk about it either.

I think the look of the other three isn't bad...for a $5 at most figure. But yeah, if these are costing around $15 a piece...no way. That will buy you a nice, super articulated MOTU Origins figure!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎