X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brue
    User without title
    • Sep 29, 2005

Most accurate unlicensed sculpt likeness

Mego did not license any of the actors who played superheroes (8 inch).
    1. Who looked closest to the actor of the character up to that era?
    2. ...or any actor of any era?
    3. ...or comic or animated version?

Batman Adam West, Lewis Wilson, Super Friends amalgam

Superman looked more like Kirk Alyn than George Reeves
    Superman Christopher Reeve. Alyn, like Batman, is merged with his Super Friends counter part.

Wonder Woman with her generic girl Mego head doesn't look like Lynda or Super Friends really. I can't think of an artist version either.

Batgirl - of 60's/70's actresses for WW, Isis, Catwoman (all 3) and Batgirl- Yvonne Craig is the closest to the generic head.

Captain America sadly is closer to the dick Purcell 1944 serial version than the '70s TV show (of course the TV show didn't come out until after the figure was made). He actually bears a reasonable resemblance to the Matt Salinger straight to video movie version that came out post Mego.

Shazam probably bears the closest resemblance to his live screen counterpart(s) of the time -a mix of John Davey and jackson bostwick.

Robin looks nothing like Burt Ward or the serial actors. Of course it is well-known to us here that his hair-do and looks are straight from the Batman TV opening animation.

Hulk certainly doesn't look like Lou. Then who? 1966 Filmation?

Others???

Modern day look alikes?
  • Mod Style
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 1, 2009

The Green Goblin screams Steve Ditko!! Some of the early sculpts seemed sort of " phoned in". One that really bugged me was Captain America. Just terrible. I mean this was one of Marvel's flag ship characters. He deserved a lot better.

To me, they didn't start looking like actors until they did TV characters. Some sculptor nailed John Boy and Pa Walton.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
      Career Member
      • Jul 23, 2019

The Luke Duke head sculpt looks pretty accurate to Tom Wopat, at least I think he does.
      "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• Mod Style
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 1, 2009

Yeah he does! I forgot about that one.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Captain America is much better if painted more accurately.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

Are we just talking WGSH or any 70’s mego? If we’re talking anyone, then I agree with Tom Wopat (Luke Duke) I also thought although not spot on accurate, William Shatner Capt. Kirk was pretty close as was Nimoy Spock, and I also think Starsky was a good likeness. Didn’t mego basically base the heroes likenesses from the animation shows and not so much from the actor playing the character?

Comment

• Doctor Dim
              • May 18, 2017

Mego's best unlicensed actor likeness is Robert Taylor as Ivanhoe. Unlicensed and generally unacknowledged.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Doctor Dim
                Mego's best unlicensed actor likeness is Robert Taylor as Ivanhoe. Unlicensed and generally unacknowledged.
                Or based more closely--in costuming, too--upon his Lancelot in Knights of the Round Table. I agree, it's one of my favorite sculpts and I've reused it often for customs.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                  Or based more closely--in costuming, too--upon his Lancelot in Knights of the Round Table. I agree, it's one of my favorite sculpts and I've reused it often for customs.
                  Along the same lines, the Lancelot figure, which was basically Richard Burton's Arthur from Camelot, is a good and surprising likeness.
                  Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                  Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Yes, a flattering likeness. Think if we had gotten a Franco Nero!

Regarding the OP, I've always admired Shazam!--capturing iconic comics element sin a realistic likeness, Joker--pure Infantino, great hair, and Penguin--classic.

Comment

• apes3978
                      Permanent Member
                      • Nov 19, 2005

Originally posted by Mod Style

To me, they didn't start looking like actors until they did TV characters. Some sculptor nailed John Boy and Pa Walton.
                      Agreed, I thought The Waltons were all pretty well done, ditto for the Duke boys, Kirk and Spock, and Starsky... None of the POTA figures really look like their screen counterparts, except maybe Virdon, who bears a passable resemblance to Ron Harper.

Comment

• Brue
                        User without title
                        • Sep 29, 2005

I'm looking at Unlicensed figures. This is primarily WGSH but could include The Astronaut and others.
                        Dukes, walton's, chips etc were licensed likenesses of the actor. So of course they look like the actor

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

Oh yeah! Joker is called mine all the way.
                          Originally posted by PNGwynne
                          Yes, a flattering likeness. Think if we had gotten a Franco Nero!

Regarding the OP, I've always admired Shazam!--capturing iconic comics element sin a realistic likeness, Joker--pure Infantino, great hair, and Penguin--classic.

Comment

• Brue
                            User without title
                            • Sep 29, 2005

Yes, knights do look like several movie actors who were not licensed.

[QUOTE=Doctor best unlicensed actor likeness is Robert Taylor as Ivanhoe. Unlicensed and generally unacknowledged.[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Brue
                              User without title
                              • Sep 29, 2005

Sculpter / design team were definitely dialed in on Ditko.
                              Originally posted by Mod Style
                              The Green Goblin screams Steve Ditko!! Some of the early sculpts seemed sort of " phoned in". One that really bugged me was Captain America. Just terrible. I mean this was one of Marvel's flag ship characters. He deserved a lot better.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎