X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Look back at Remco Sgt. Rock

About the same time that the 3 3/4 inch G.I. Joes were getting release, Remco released there own version of 3 3/4 inch army figures with licensed by DC Comics: Sgt. Rock. The idea sound great, in the comic book Sgt. Rock has plenty of teammates and even more Nazi enemies, but for some strange reason Remco decided to go Vietnam-era and give Rock new teammates. One of the problems was the arms were short, no elbow joints and the hands were weirdly positioned. it was really hard for the figures to hold there weapons. The figures were poorly made and would fall apart easily.

AF Sgt Rock (2).jpgAF Sgt Rock (1).jpg

Now you have to have villains for your new army men so Remco came up with the "best" name: The Bad Guys
    The Bad Guys were named after animals and were just repaints of the Good guys with some new heads. One could swear Remco become Chap Mei/Lanyard. The villain were generic villains that truly could be used against G.I. Joe, M.A.S.H. A-Team or Sgt. Rock.

AF Shark carded 1.jpgAF Shark (3).jpg

As with Chap Mei/Lanyard the vehicles and playsets were better than the figures. The main playset was later reused in the Universal Monsters playset...
    playcase 3.jpg

Now trying to find figure out just how many figures that were released was almost as bad as playing Where's Waldo. I was still playing with action figures when these came out, and I remember picking up a few of them (for there weapons). I read Sgt. Rock comic books so even back then I was disappointed in how they were made. I do remember that my brother had a few of The Bad Guys in with the his Cobras. Sgt. Rock was included into my G.I. Joes but I am not sure about the others. My brother & I would play outside so those playset where used till they were well played with and thrown away.

I have them on my site: Remco Sgt. Rock vs The Bad Guys

So feel free to go see....
    Last edited by monitor_ep; Dec 16, '20, 3:04 AM.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

^I started my collection of Sgt. Rock this year. So far I have the playcase, one bunker set and seven figures. I was able to get everything new on beater cards, and the playcase was still factory sealed.

Last edited by enyawd72; Dec 16, '20, 2:44 AM.

Comment

• monitor_ep
      Talkative Member
      • May 11, 2013

Wow those images are great. I am surprised at how low this guys go for, but then again Sgt. Rock is the only comic book character in the lot.
      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

Why did they make their left hands like that? It looks like they're begging for some spare change. lol

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I love the reuse of the Mini-Monsters' Haunted House/Carry Case as for the play case there.

I always wondered about these. Seems a waste to not make Wildman, Ice Cream Soldier, Bulldozer etc. And the Iron Major would have made a great lead villain!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

I was surprised at how many characters that were actually made. Yeah Remco reused and repainted them to expand there lineup but so did G.I. Joe at some point.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡