X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Adam West
    Museum CPA
    • Apr 14, 2003

MEGO Gandalf

I haven't seen anything posted here yet about the long awaited Gandalf figure and saw that it was available for preorder on EE. I then went to BBTS and it is available for preorder there as well.
    "The farther we go, the more the ultimate explanation recedes from us, and all we have left is faith."
    ~Vaclav Hlavaty
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

Good luck with that.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah, I'm thinking Gandalph may be in limbo.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

That's one area I really wish Mego would address. They really haven't committed to completing any one series of figures.
        They're just kind of all over the place. I mean, it has to hurt sales of the other figures in each series.

Still no regular Kirk, McCoy, or Scotty for TOS Trek. Two LOTR characters...what is anyone supposed to do with those? Pretty hard to make a LOTR display with only two figures.
        Gandalf, Frodo, Saruman, and Gollum would make for a nice six figure collection that at least feels somewhat complete.
        I wish they would focus on just two or three licenses at a time and see them through to completion, or at least a minimum of the main characters.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
          Often invisible
          • Jul 18, 2002

But if Aragorn and Legolas stiff on the shelves, it’s not worth it to make 6 more figures that will likely also stiff.

I think at this point, “lines” of figures are passé. This is such a niche market that committing to more than a couple figures at a time is too much of a risk monetarily.
          Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Dec 8, '20, 4:02 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

I know the approach is perplexing to collectors because we're used to waves but it's kind of wise from a start-up perspective. They're trying to grow a figure format and they don't have the history or shelf space of a Hasbro or a Mattel (or the back end dollars to make certain things happen) so they take the "Funko Pop" approach and each wave has some differing genres in there. What sells, they renew what doesn't, gets left by the wayside.

If Mego had thrown all of their money on a huge wave of LOTR, it could have seriously hurt their ability to get more figures to stores.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• sprytel
              Talkative Member
              • Jun 26, 2009

If they put out Gandalf and Frodo and Gollum and they didn't sell, I'd agree. Those are the Fonzies of the line. If they don't sell, then nothing will sell.

But Aragorn and Legolas are the Happy Days Gang figures of that franchise. I suspect a lot of collectors took the attitude of "maybe... let's see how Gandalf looks" before diving in. Especially with the uncertainty that any more figures would follow.

Comment

• enyawd72
                Maker of Monsters!
                • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                But if Aragorn and Legolas stiff on the shelves, it’s not worth it to make 6 more figures that will likely also stiff.

I think at this point, “lines” of figures are passé. This is such a niche market that committing to more than a couple figures at a time is too much of a risk monetarily.
                I disagree. When you only offer a partial series without a commitment to finishing it, that's WHY they're still sitting on shelves. Those two figures alone are absolutely worthless from a play or display standpoint.
                If they're going to pay for these licenses, then DO something with them. You wouldn't make TWO of the Three Stooges and expect people to buy them knowing they won't ever get the third. If they can afford to keep paying for more licenses like Candyman, Jeepers Creepers, Silence of the Lambs, etc. they can afford to make more characters with the licenses they already paid for. The entire direction of the company seems extremely haphazard and unfocused. I cannot believe they wouldn't have sold more Gollum or Gandalfs than Hannibal Lecter.

Comment

• enyawd72
                  Maker of Monsters!
                  • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by sprytel
                  If they put out Gandalf and Frodo and Gollum and they didn't sell, I'd agree. Those are the Fonzies of the line. If they don't sell, then nothing will sell.

But Aragorn and Legolas are the Happy Days Gang figures of that franchise. I suspect a lot of collectors took the attitude of "maybe... let's see how Gandalf looks" before diving in. Especially with the uncertainty that any more figures would follow.
                  Bingo. That's exactly why I didn't buy them. What good are those two by themselves?

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
                    I disagree. When you only offer a partial series without a commitment to finishing it, that's WHY they're still sitting on shelves. Those two figures alone are absolutely worthless from a play or display standpoint.
                    If they're going to pay for these licenses, then DO something with them. You wouldn't make TWO of the Three Stooges and expect people to buy them knowing they won't ever get the third. If they can afford to keep paying for more licenses like Candyman, Jeepers Creepers, Silence of the Lambs, etc. they can afford to make more characters with the licenses they already paid for. The entire direction of the company seems extremely haphazard and unfocused. I cannot believe they wouldn't have sold more Gollum or Gandalfs than Hannibal Lecter.
                    Of course you wouldn’t make two of the Three Stooges. That’s a ridiculous comparison.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                      Of course you wouldn’t make two of the Three Stooges. That’s a ridiculous comparison.
                      Is it? You wouldn't make Spock without regular Kirk and McCoy either but there you go.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
                        Is it? You wouldn't make Spock without regular Kirk and McCoy either but there you go.
                        Haha! Eh, maybe. The thing about Trek guys is they’re not going anywhere.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                          Eloquent Member
                          • Jan 19, 2008

Who wants random figures that will never have other figures to compliment them? Monster figures don't really need something to go with them, but Sci-Fi seem to need to. Who wants three figures from a movie that should have ten figures made from it? The Star Trek original series had a Gorn, but no Kirk to match the look from the episode he was on. There is not much play value to figures that don't go together, I'd say. Hannibal and no Clarice? What's the point? Rocky and no opponent? Why? Regan and no Priest? It's easy to stop buying if you are a completest and there is nothing to complete.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                            Often invisible
                            • Jul 18, 2002

That has always confused me. Is my POTA collection incomplete because there’s no Taylor or Nova or is it complete because I have all the figures that were released?

This is an honest question. If you’re a completest, isn’t pretty much every line incomplete on some level?

Comment

• monitor_ep
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 11, 2013

Well I can tell you the Walmarts I shop at (7) they have plenty of Picard figures sitting on the shelves. So I do not think I will ever see another STNG figure released.
                              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎