Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone ever look at how much you spent on a toy line?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

Anyone ever look at how much you spent on a toy line?

This is a subject I haven’t seen discussed here. Maybe folks don’t want to think about how much they spend on toys. My collecting focus is pretty narrow. I buy toys to complete or upgrade existing lines that I had as a child. I’ve also sold off lines that I wasn’t interested in anymore. I’ve always told myself that I would try to finance my collecting with money from selling other toys. So when I wanted to fix up my Gabriel Lone Ranger figures, I ended up buying larger and frequent lots. I took the parts I wanted and resold the rest.

I kept records of purchases and sales by year. But never went across years or combined sales and purchases to see what I had invested in a line. This analysis is going to be one of my winter projects. I started with my Evel Knievel collection. I have 6 figures in great condition (various color outfits), 3 white stunt cycles (a first issue, 3rd issue chrome, and 1 black pipe bike), 2 black trail bikes, 3 energizers, 2 stunt cycle boxes, and instructions. With all the Evel toys I bought and sold, I have less than $400 invested in Evel Knievel toys.

I know that all the toy lines I analyze are not going to come out this pretty. Vintage Star Wars toys are a killer. But I am curious to see how much I have spent.

Anyone else do anything like this?
    Last edited by Myoldtoys; Dec 6, '20, 9:31 PM.
  • Liu Bei
    Banned
    • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
    This is a subject I haven’t seen discussed here. Maybe folks don’t want to think about how much they spend on toys. My collecting focus is pretty narrow. I buy toys to complete or upgrade existing lines that I had as a child. I’ve also sold off lines that I wasn’t interested in anymore. I’ve always told myself that I would try to finance my collecting with money from selling other toys. So when I wanted to fix up by Gabriel Lone Ranger figures, I ended up buying larger and frequent lots. I took the parts I wanted and resold the rest.

I kept records of purchases and sales by year. But never went across years or combined sales and purchases to see what I had invested in a line. This analysis is going to be one of my winter projects. I started with my Evel Knievel collection. I have 6 figures in great condition (various color outfits), 3 white stunt cycles (a first issue, 3rd issue chrome, and 1 black pipe bike), 2 black trail bikes, 3 energizers, 2 stunt cycle boxes, and instructions. With all the Evel toys I bought and sold, I have less than $400 invested in Evel Knievel toys.

I know that all the toy lines I analyze are not going to come out this pretty. Vintage Star Wars toys are a killer. But I am curious to see how much I have spent.

Anyone else do anything like this?
    Not exactly, but I do have a general rule when it comes to collecting. For vintage, I try never to spend over $5 a figure. This means being very patient, waiting to find what I need/want at antique stores or flea markets, or pulling the trigger on an eBay lot that would average out to $5 per figure.

I do make exceptions, though. For Kenner’s Six Million Dollar Man I finally broke down and bought a 1st edition Steve Austin and Maskatron (both complete except for Maskatron’s black socks) for $15 a piece, because I knew I was likely never going to find them cheaper than that and in that good of shape.

One way I am usually able to stay under budget is to find busted up figures for cheap and then restore them. I’ve done this with everything from vintage toys to vintage video game consoles and cartridges. It’s a lot of fun, and I’ve got a lot of really great looking stuff for cheap to boot.

For new figures I never, ever pay over market price, and often wait whenever possible to get them on discount. It’s paid off far, far more often than not.

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

I've never kept a detailed record, but like you, I have purchased large lots, kept the items I wanted, and sold the items I didn't want individually on ebay, and usually got my money back, so it was like getting the items I kept for free.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
        Veteran Member
        • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by RonnyG
        I've never kept a detailed record, but like you, I have purchased large lots, kept the items I wanted, and sold the items I didn't want individually on ebay, and usually got my money back, so it was like getting the items I kept for free.
        That is a great feeling. I think when I look at the Lone Ranger line, I will be close to even like that. I would show my wife a lot I was buying for a couple parts. The best way I could explain it to her was relating it to picking up the discard pile when playing the rummy 500 card game. Just need one card in there, and will clear out the rest later. I am curious what other strategies people come up with for collecting.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

I've consciously tried NOT to keep track of what I've spent. It's probably silly, but I sometimes feel guilty spending so much on toys. I remember having a conversation with a neighbor from my NYC apartment building, realizing he lived in a 2-bedroom with wife, teenage daughter and two sons. He was surprised I had a 3-bedroom for me and my wife. I mumbled a bit when asked what I do with those 3 rooms, "Well, one is our bedroom, the other is an office and third is... for my toys."

Originally posted by Liu Bei
          Not exactly, but I do have a general rule when it comes to collecting. For vintage, I try never to spend over $5 a figure.
          That's a tough rule to follow. I really respect that. I had a similar rule many years ago, but it was a more liberal $100. That was back when I was only ever going to collect loose figures and just WGSH. I was so naive.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• MIB41
            Eloquent Member
            • Sep 25, 2005

My spending is based on what I have in my disposable funds to utilize, be it for collecting or to take my family out for an evening of fun. I have so much that goes for bills, savings, and emergency funds. The rest goes for projects around the house or disposable, meaning whatever I want to do with it. So before I ever get to an item for purchase, I already have my finances allocated to know the funding is in place and I'm not taking from other areas of need. Everyone is different so I don't think it matters how much so much as it works for each person in a productive manner that doesn't compromise their livelihood.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
              Veteran Member
              • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
              My spending is based on what I have in my disposable funds to utilize, be it for collecting or to take my family out for an evening of fun. I have so much that goes for bills, savings, and emergency funds. The rest goes for projects around the house or disposable, meaning whatever I want to do with it. So before I ever get to an item for purchase, I already have my finances allocated to know the funding is in place and I'm not taking from other areas of need. Everyone is different so I don't think it matters how much so much as it works for each person in a productive manner that doesn't compromise their livelihood.
              A long time ago, the wife and I agreed that I have to seek approval for buying items over $200. That would be an individual item limit. I haven’t run into that limit when it comes to toys. That rule impacts my other hobbies more. I’m a spreadsheet kind of person. Keeping track helps keep me in line.

Comment

• MIB41
                Eloquent Member
                • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
                A long time ago, the wife and I agreed that I have to seek approval for buying items over $200. That would be an individual item limit. I haven’t run into that limit when it comes to toys. That rule impacts my other hobbies more. I’m a spreadsheet kind of person. Keeping track helps keep me in line.
                Oh I get it. Professionally I live in spreadsheets, if not sleep in them. My scope is just pulled out wider. My income is placed into buckets for each priority, so what is left is at my discretion. My spending income is already accounted for on a broader scale. And its not inclusive to just hobbies. So I know before I spend it how it plays monthly, quarterly, and annually. It all falls under entertainment if its not paying bills or self-investment which covers savings, emergency funds, and retirement. So to use your example of a $200 figure, would you also know what you spent on watching movies, eating out, picking up those shirts you came across as an impulse purchase or that tool or paint you might need for a project? That $200 figure gets eliminated real fast if more gets pulled into the arena to audit.

Money spent is money out the door whether its called a hobby or other unplanned purchases. So I learned along time ago it all counts. If I'm frugal on my hobby but eat out fives times a week, I'm not looking at my spending honestly. When you put it altogether and fund it accordingly, it always gives you freedom to make informed decisions and enjoy your purchases knowing ahead of time you're already on top of it and don't have to ask that question. When I was allot younger I didn't account for everything and its never fun being on the discovery side of spending, because by the time you're noticing, that's when its up to your nose. So do I know what I spend on my hobby? Absolutely. Its healthy and within the preset parameters.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I've learned long ago if I compare what I've spent to what I've (might) receive i'm in the blackest of holes known to man.

If I kept track of what I spent on Star Trek Playmates and Star Wars Power of the Force 2, I might just as well fling myself off of the Empire State Building (cannot afford a ticket to Dubai)

But on reflection --- it was fun (at the time) …. and that's all that matters

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                    Permanent Member
                    • Sep 15, 2014

I remember what I've paid for most of my items but never added it all up. I regret not buying some items when they were cheaper but all the 1980's stuff i have i sure as hell wouldn't get the deals on I got back then.

Comment

• tay666
                      Career Member
                      • Dec 27, 2008

Back when I used to be much more active in buying/selling, I used to track how much I spent and how much I got in sales to try and keep my hobby close to paying for itself.
                      But, as the years have gone by, and shipping costs have risen, I have pretty much completely stopped selling.
                      My time is at such a premium, that it just isn't worth making $5 here, or $10 there.
                      So, I don't even bother keeping track anymore. It doesn't matter what I spend. My bills are paid, and what I do for recreation is worth it for the joy it brings me. If I have the money, and something is priced at what I consider a reasonable price, I will get it.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by MIB41
                        Oh I get it. Professionally I live in spreadsheets, if not sleep in them. My scope is just pulled out wider. My income is placed into buckets for each priority, so what is left is at my discretion. My spending income is already accounted for on a broader scale. And its not inclusive to just hobbies. So I know before I spend it how it plays monthly, quarterly, and annually. It all falls under entertainment if its not paying bills or self-investment which covers savings, emergency funds, and retirement. So to use your example of a $200 figure, would you also know what you spent on watching movies, eating out, picking up those shirts you came across as an impulse purchase or that tool or paint you might need for a project? That $200 figure gets eliminated real fast if more gets pulled into the arena to audit.

Money spent is money out the door whether its called a hobby or other unplanned purchases. So I learned along time ago it all counts. If I'm frugal on my hobby but eat out fives times a week, I'm not looking at my spending honestly. When you put it altogether and fund it accordingly, it always gives you freedom to make informed decisions and enjoy your purchases knowing ahead of time you're already on top of it and don't have to ask that question. When I was allot younger I didn't account for everything and its never fun being on the discovery side of spending, because by the time you're noticing, that's when its up to your nose. So do I know what I spend on my hobby? Absolutely. Its healthy and within the preset parameters.
                        I get what you are saying. I break down all expenses and even categorize all the items on the charge card bills. I can tell where it all goes. I was just curious how others with the same hobby rationalize or the rules they create for themselves. There have been some great responses. I enjoy hearing from others.

I love the toys I have. I also think that in most cases I have much less invested then I could sell them for...which I have no plans on doing. I get some sense of accomplishment knowing I have a great collection and I haven’t spent that much (relatively) to get it.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                          I remember what I've paid for most of my items but never added it all up. I regret not buying some items when they were cheaper but all the 1980's stuff i have i sure as hell wouldn't get the deals on I got back then.
                          I regret not buying things 10 years ago because the things I passed on are now more than double the cost (Star Wars)

Comment

• Liu Bei
                            Banned
                            • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by Mikey
                            I've learned long ago if I compare what I've spent to what I've (might) receive i'm in the blackest of holes known to man.

If I kept track of what I spent on Star Trek Playmates and Star Wars Power of the Force 2, I might just as well fling myself off of the Empire State Building (cannot afford a ticket to Dubai)

But on reflection --- it was fun (at the time) …. and that's all that matters
                            When did you buy them? Up until a few years ago both lines could be had dirt cheap. POTF2 has experienced a bit of an uptick in recent years, and Playmates Star Trek are starting to creep up just a little as well. Luckily I absolutely cleaned up on both lines in the last few years, amassing a rather large collection of both while prices were rock bottom.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                              Banned
                              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by tay666
                              Back when I used to be much more active in buying/selling, I used to track how much I spent and how much I got in sales to try and keep my hobby close to paying for itself.
                              But, as the years have gone by, and shipping costs have risen, I have pretty much completely stopped selling.
                              My time is at such a premium, that it just isn't worth making $5 here, or $10 there.
                              So, I don't even bother keeping track anymore. It doesn't matter what I spend. My bills are paid, and what I do for recreation is worth it for the joy it brings me. If I have the money, and something is priced at what I consider a reasonable price, I will get it.
                              I think I have a mental disease of some kind. Part of the fun for me is getting the figures for a great price. I could theoretically fork over the going rate for a figure, but there’s just so much more pleasure to be had waiting for exactly the right moment and circumstance to scoop something up for a steal. Really, I must be sick in the head.

Also, I legitimately enjoy restoring old, beat up stuff. I love watching Toy Polloi and other fans’ restoration videos on YouTube. It’s really a lot of fun.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎