X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MIB41
    Eloquent Member
    • Sep 25, 2005

When Mego came back it brought back some young fans too

As my grandson got older he began to fall out of interest with the retro cloth format. So I thought perhaps that was another frank reminder that not everything I put in front of him would resonate as I had hoped. Well when Mego returned to mass, I think that really changed things. There's something to be said about how a product is perceived when you can physically stand in front of it.

We have a toy mall that sells allot of vintage stuff, but there's also a vendor there that keeps his space filled with the latest and greatest of Mego. The more DJ saw of that, the more he became interested again, until one day he just fell in love with them all over. So now he's into all things retro cloth once again. Only this time, he came about it more organically than his grandfather placing things in front of him. They found each other in the wild and all I can say is its been a fascinating transformation. Now ole granddad has really opened his wallet probably too much in celebration of that, but at eight years old I want DJ to experience all the magic that comes with that connection so he'll have fond memories when he's a grandpa one day.

I've gone as far as building him a mini pegboard in his room, so he can display all his figures. And let me tell you, he's all about playing with them, but then getting them back in their packages so they can look nice while he sleeps. It feels good to know he arrived at this place honestly and will likely carry this onward after I am long gone. He's a treasure.

• ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Super groovy!

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

Hello! And good to see your grandson still enjoying Megos! That smile says it all, it's heart-warming.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Clearly with your love and his appreciation of monsters, he's having a great childhood!

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Man, that's what it is all about right there!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

that's awesome. Thanks for sharing that

Comment

• Liu Bei
              Banned
              • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by MIB41
              As my grandson got older he began to fall out of interest with the retro cloth format. So I thought perhaps that was another frank reminder that not everything I put in front of him would resonate as I had hoped. Well when Mego returned to mass, I think that really changed things. There's something to be said about how a product is perceived when you can physically stand in front of it.

We have a toy mall that sells allot of vintage stuff, but there's also a vendor there that keeps his space filled with the latest and greatest of Mego. The more DJ saw of that, the more he became interested again, until one day he just fell in love with them all over. So now he's into all things retro cloth once again. Only this time, he came about it more organically than his grandfather placing things in front of him. They found each other in the wild and all I can say is its been a fascinating transformation. Now ole granddad has really opened his wallet probably too much in celebration of that, but at eight years old I want DJ to experience all the magic that comes with that connection so he'll have fond memories when he's a grandpa one day.

I've gone as far as building him a mini pegboard in his room, so he can display all his figures. And let me tell you, he's all about playing with them, but then getting them back in their packages so they can look nice while he sleeps. It feels good to know he arrived at this place honestly and will likely carry this onward after I am long gone. He's a treasure.

Don’t think I don’t see that Six Million Dollar Man figure there behind Shazam.

Now, the real question is, are you gonna be getting him any DVDs of the Six Million Dollar Man or the old Universal Horror movies?

Comment

• RonnyG
                Career Member
                • Apr 23, 2014

Let's open them up and play with them!! haha

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                  Eloquent Member
                  • Jan 19, 2008

Hey kid, I'll trade you a couple of giant candy bars for one of your figures...

Comment

• MIB41
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Liu Bei
                    Don’t think I don’t see that Six Million Dollar Man figure there behind Shazam.

Now, the real question is, are you gonna be getting him any DVDs of the Six Million Dollar Man or the old Universal Horror movies?
                    He's in luck. Ole granddad already has them. LOL. And believe me all those figures are all played with extensively. With the Mego cards, he carefully lifts the bubble from the card on the outside, but keeps it attached in the middle so it opens like a book. When he's done playing with them, he has a piece of tape to keep it sealed on the open side and there you go. I'm going to have to put new bands on Six Mil. He has worn that figure out.

Comment

• Liu Bei
                      Banned
                      • Mar 31, 2018

Originally posted by MIB41
                      He's in luck. Ole granddad already has them. LOL. And believe me all those figures are all played with extensively. With the Mego cards, he carefully lifts the bubble from the card on the outside, but keeps it attached in the middle so it opens like a book. When he's done playing with them, he has a piece of tape to keep it sealed on the open side and there you go. I'm going to have to put new bands on Six Mil. He has worn that figure out.
                      Awesome! Steve Austin is the man.

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

That’s a great picture and like Mr. Roark says, “Smiles Everyone”

Comment

• puckace
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Feb 5, 2009

That picture is priceless. So glad you get to share the joy of Megos with your grandson. You are truly blessed.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

That is awesome my friend. Nothing like passing that torch. He'll always remember Megos with Grandpa!!!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• MIB41
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Sep 25, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                              That is awesome my friend. Nothing like passing that torch. He'll always remember Megos with Grandpa!!!

Chris
                              Chris do you know he saw a present wrapped in scale with a Mego box and had the nerve to ask me if he could go ahead and open it?! What have I created Franklinstein?!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎