X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ODBJBG
    Permanent Member
    • May 15, 2009

Logan's Run Musings...

I just rewatched Logan's Run for the first time in years, (thanks $5 blu-ray!) and I'm left with one big question and couple of musings.

The big question I have, is was Logan still acting as a Sandman, all the way up until he meets the Old Man? I mean, yes he's having to avoid very real danger because the computer makes him a runner whether he wants to be or not, but for all intents and purposes he's still "undercover". He tries to protect Jessica 6, but he's doing that from the very beginning. When he gets to the Ankh resistance place, he clearly signals to the Sandmen where he's at, leading them to come and kill off all the resistance people. Logan only flees again, because they're trying to kill him. Had he gotten to "Sanctuary" would he has reported back to the Sandmen his location? It certainly SEEMS that way to me. He's basically undercover up until he meets the old man/realizes he's been "renewed".

I'm sure this is all spelled out in the book, but in the film, it really isn't fleshed out at all. It certainly seems plausible that Logan could have found Sanctuary and then called for his fellow Sandman goons to come in and kill everybody as they seemed to exist solely to do. Flippin' odd.

And now for some musings:

This ties into my question, but man is Logan like the WORST protagonist in film history? Yes, one could argue he's an "anti-hero" or that greatness is thrust upon him, but basically, he's a jerk who enjoys killing people and torturing others. We get a small bit of subtext about how he "questions things too much" but we never actually see him grow or develop at all. His questioning doesn't stop him from clearly abusing others, his "growth" is simply a byproduct of his mission and his need to survive. That is to say, he never has an "AH HA!" moment where he realizes he's wrong and that society is all designed to go awry. He's just like, "I don't care about killing runners, but if I'm undercover as a runner, I'm gonna get my 4 years back right?"

I mean, he realizes being renewed is a sham and stuff, but again, he doesn't seem to really "care" about that. It almost seems like if his mission had been completed he would have quietly went back to killing people for sport/job even with the knowledge that everything was a shell game. I dunno, he's just not much of a "good" guy. He only cares about Jessica because he wants to bone her.

Speaking of boning... I find the "dating app" portion of this film quite relevant. You could argue that none of the goofy 70s vision of the future is even remotely close to the real future, but the dating app where people show up to your house exclusively for sex? Yeah, that's a thing now. Other than the teleportation element of this, it's pretty much become fully realized. I'm guessing if you asked people in the 70s which part of Logan's Run would come to fruition, I'd bet almost no one would expect it to be THAT!
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

He believed in renewal and didn’t see himself as a bad guy. The sandmen seemed to be elite in their society. I think until the end he always saw it as a mission. He was an anti or or at least reluctant hero. It was a thought provoking movie.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I think Logan had the super hots for Jessica from the start … It most likely motivated him to do whatever she wanted.

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Mikey
        I think Logan had the super hots for Jessica from the start … It most likely motivated him to do whatever she wanted.

Comment

• Mikey
          Verbose Member
          • Aug 9, 2001

Exactly ---^----

Jessica is like "let's take the old man with us" …. Logan is like, GREAT IDEA, YOU MUST COME WITH US !!!

Comment

• Apositive
            Career Member
            • Apr 3, 2011

The novel was a little different....an entertaining read that you might enjoy.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎