X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MRP
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

RIP David Prowse

David Prowse, the man inside the Darth Vader armor, has passed away at age 85. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...was-85-1161826

He also played Frankenstein 3 times, and came to Lucas' notice with his role in A Clockwork Orange. Plus one of his earliest roles was in Doctor Who, so he was all over genre TV, but he was recognized for his work and appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire in 2000 for his ongoing role as Green Cross Code Man in a series of PSA's aimed at children in the UK between '67 and '90.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • Bruce Banner
    HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Sad news indeed.
    I met Dave on several occasions and he was always very friendly, sharing fascinating anecdotes from his career.
    We're losing more of the original SW cast.
    R.I.P.
    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

sad news. RIP!

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Sad to hear of this, RIP. I thought he had passed already, hadn't he been ill?

IIRC, someone here did a Green Cross Man custom Mego, which I thought was clever.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• B-Lister
          Eccentric Weirdo
          • Mar 19, 2010

RIP Darth Farmer.

I met him and Jeremy Bulloch at a convention many many years ago, with my younger sibling. Bulloch complimented my sibling's shirt.

Prowse was cordial. Though I hear he could be abrasive.
          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• great_chandel
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2, 2015

If there were a better combination between Prowse's body and James Earl Jones's voice, I would like to hear it??? Pure magic...............

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

He was a guest at the comic shop I worked at in college, and I was essentially his gopher on two different occasions, and he was very friendly and courteous. I avoided the Star Wars questions and asked him about working with Christopher Reeve to bulk him up for Superman, and that led to him discussing his time as the Green Cross Code Man. He really lit up talking about that. It was the work he was most proud of.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• 74SpaceAce
                • Sep 25, 2020

The Prowse documentary "I Am Your Father" from 2015 is excellent and heart breaking. Worth seeking out.

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by 74SpaceAce
                  The Prowse documentary "I Am Your Father" from 2015 is excellent and heart breaking. Worth seeking out.
                  I had a horrible interaction with the man in 1993, I haven't been a fan since. That doc made me feel empathy for the guy.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• rykerw1701
                    Persistent Member
                    • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by palitoy
                    I had a horrible interaction with the man in 1993, I haven't been a fan since. That doc made me feel empathy for the guy.
                    I'll have to find that documentary.

I try to cut celebrates some slack when I read about a bad fan experience. I don't doubt the celebrity in question acted poorly, but they have bad days and act in ways they probably know they shouldn't just like we mere mortals. Although once you consistently hear the same things about the same people, that's a different story.

Just two weeks ago, a friend of mine said he met Erin Gray at a show once and she was very rude. I've seen her as well as she was absolutely wonderful and chatty. On the other hand, I've never heard anyone say anything nice about John de Lancie (Q).

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I have a friend who had a horrible experience with George Perez, and that's the ONLY negative thing I've ever heard about the man. But I totally believe my friend, because he acknowledges he must have caught him on a bad day/moment.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by rykerw1701

I try to cut celebrates some slack when I read about a bad fan experience. I don't doubt the celebrity in question acted poorly, but they have bad days and act in ways they probably know they shouldn't just like we mere mortals. Although once you consistently hear the same things about the same people, that's a different story.
                        (Q).
                        Yeah, I understand that apparently, I caught Sid Haig on a bad day because everyone I know said he was charming. Prowse definitely had this side to him, it was a pattern. He was really quite rude to my girlfriend at the time, he was her first stop of the day and I remember she didn't want to meet any more guests after that. I went through my adult life thinking he was a jerk but the doc made me realize that some of his misfortune wasn't his doing and I felt empathy towards the man.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

First, RIP, Mr Prowse.

The following paragraph doesn’t pertain to Prowse, this is just a generalization.

What I will say is that if a celebrity is moody and rude on the day of signing stuff, then don’t show up. Be a professional. People are spending good money on your on screen persona fame. Yes, we all have problems in life at one point in time. But once you step into that professional spot, be a professional, be courteous and gracious to your fans. Again, if you can’t do that...then don’t show up. Do something else then. Stay home.

I don’t excuse bad behavior if you are collecting money, period.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 15, 2012

For as small a city as Pittsburgh is, the Steel city-con pulled in quite a few celebrities. I always thought the prices for signing were crazy. The year Anthony Daniels was there, you couldn’t even get in the show without a 3 day pass and a long wait in line...before the line for him. But hey, if you came to the next show you could get photos the celebrities signed for the show for less. Anthony’s original price was around $100. I got a leftover for half that.

I’m an auto racing fan. I used to go to Indy and many vintage auto races. I got about 15 autographs from Indy. Those folks were working and I interrupted them for autographs. Some were annoyed but would autograph. The worst ever was Danica Patrick. She was a complete crank. She did stop because my young nephew was sadly calling out her name and probably made her feel bad to not stop. But she was not kind about it and would not sign for any of the adults around. The vintage race drivers from the 60’s and 70’s were always happy to stop and give an autograph. I have some great memories and stories to go with those. Like the time Carroll Shelby almost ran over my wife. But was kind enough to sign an autograph for me.

Comment

• rykerw1701
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 27, 2007

Not to digress, but I'll make this connection. David Prowse trained Christopher Reeve in body building, as most of us know. When my ex-wife was a teenager, Reeve was at a Special Olympics event circa 1980 in her small hometown. She ran across Reeve walking outside of the event. His body guards tried to push her out of the way, but he graciously told them it was OK, and signed an autograph for her. Luckily for me, when my Ex left, she didn't care about the autograph anymore, so I have it framed and mounted with a picture. Someplace. I really should find that thing.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎