X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

In Love With Toys 25th Anniversary Special Edition

A documentary produced in 1995 about the action toy collecting phenomenon. Traces the evolution of action toys from the 1960s through the 1990s and interviews several toy collectors about their hobby.

Program:

00:00 Introduction by director Raymond Castile
    01:23 In Love With Toys remastered presentation (opening titles)
    02:01 Christmas melee
    02:52 Narrator and Attic
    04:33 Toy Timeline 1959-1968
    12:21 The Toy Show
    17:31 Toy Timeline 1970s
    30:11 Toy Collectors
    42:46 Toy Timeline 1980s
    50:08 Nuts and Bolts
    55:51 Toy Timeline 1990s
    1:05:39 Final Words of Wisdom
    124 70s Toy Aisle Dream
    148 End credits
    101 Director commentary
    2:06:46 Panel discussion with collectors Andrew Williams, Ken Raquel, Jim Tudor and Raymond Castile
    2:47:01 Thank you and good bye
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I still have my original VHS copy! Looking forward to the new material and bonus features!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• drquest
      ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
      • Apr 17, 2012

I'm hoping to get a chance to watch this today.
      Danny(Drquest)
      Captain Action HQ
      Retro shirts and stuff
      More retro shirts
      Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Mr.Marion
        Permanent Member
        • Sep 15, 2014

I've seen this documentary a few times, I loved seeing the panel 25 years after the fact. Andy looks way different, Jim was very shy and didn't make eye contact in the doc and now he's a professor with a family. Ken looks like he has done well for himself and probably has an amazing collection judging by his room.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

That toy aisle-oh, the stuff of which dreams are made.

This was my first exposure to this documentary and I thoroughly enjoyed it--thanks!
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• toyhunter1970
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 24, 2020

i remember this has it been 25 years ? i feel super old the piano sequence always gets me misty

Comment

• drquest
              ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
              • Apr 17, 2012

I had forgotten the toy show shown in the video was the Toy Man show in St. Louis. That's my local show and I had been going to that one since the early 90's. Odds are I had a table selling at that same show.
              Danny(Drquest)
              Captain Action HQ
              Retro shirts and stuff
              More retro shirts
              Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Confessional
                Maker & Whatnot
                • Aug 8, 2012

Finally got around to giving Ray's awesome project the viewing attention it deserves. The panel discussion is special, as rare dialogue that captures some of the *other* side of ourselves as aging collectors.

While there is always generational talk about the perceived investment (money/time gained, lost or otherwise), departing/downsizing moments in relationship to life changes, or the greatness that was, it's refreshing to find camaraderie with the notion that you can find peace with whatever you collect, how you collect, and what you own even later in life. Death is inevitable; have fun, play, make, teach, share.

Good stuff!, thanks to Ray and his collaborators.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

You could really tell their toy biases. They were not kind in their descriptions of Masters of the Universe and used poor condition examples.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
                    You could really tell their toy biases. They were not kind in their descriptions of Masters of the Universe and used poor condition examples.
                    It's one of the best and most successful toy lines ever, even if it doesn't resonate with some collectors. 1995 might have been too recent for an appreciation. But MOTU "has legs" and fans, that's for certain.

I'm nonplussed by GI Joe: RAH, but that doesn't mean it's crummy.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne

I'm nonplussed by GI Joe: RAH, but that doesn't mean it's crummy.
                      Exactly, plenty of lines aren't my cup of tea but I still would have treated them with respect.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Werewolf
                        Yeah no kidding, I think its the generational thing. 80's kids aren't waxing poetic about Toy Biz or Jakks WWF.
                        MOTU and Remco popularity and price are at an all-time high right now. But if mego , AHI, or 3 3/4 are your thing its easy to not understand the appeal.

Comment

• Goblin19
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 2, 2002

It’s funny because I don’t collect MOTU (just a bit past my 1st toy age), but I have always liked the toys. I think they’re very appealing.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

I collected MOTU, Super Powers, and Sectaurs in high school and very grateful I did. My deepest collecting regret is selling my original MOTU collection in the early '90s.
                            Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 14, '21, 8:57 PM.

Comment

• Collector Canine
                              • Aug 21, 2020

MOTU was very much something my dad was into. As someone born in the year 2000, I only got to experience many toys from the 80s and 90s through my dad and uncles finding their childhood toys in storage and such. I'm glad to be the current owner of my dad's childhood Star Wars, MOTU, and GI Joe RAH collections as well as my uncles' childhood GI Joes and Transformers.

I sadly personally am not interested in collecting any more MOTU. Transformers, Star Wars, Ultraman (and other Japanese superhero franchises like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai), and GI Joe are my main focuses at this current point in time.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎