X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Disco Skeletor riding a purple cyborg velociraptor

The 2002 MOTU reboot really had some odd toys.

disco.JPG

Separately they are a bit goofy but oddly enough together they are kind of awesome.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

I di not remember the dino...
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

In retrospect, a strained line with too many variants. But I was MOTU-desperate back then and scarfed it all up.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by monitor_ep
        I di not remember the dino...
        It was towards the end of the 2002 reboot during its goofy Samurai phase. The Samurai figures were especially bad. Real eyesores.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          But I was MOTU-desperate back then and scarfed it all up.
          Same here. I was beginning to worry the line was getting ready to jump the shark as early as wave 2 when Rambo He-Man was released. Towards the end even I tapped out on most of the bizarre looking variants and repaints.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

lol I worked to get all those Euro-released Snake Men, etc. I'm missing one Euro playset.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I'm missing one Euro playset.
              The Battle Station? I did manage to get that. Was that Euro only? I could have sworn it got a limited release in the States.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I never saw it here. When it showed up on German ebay, I thought it was an overseas release.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                  Permanent Member
                  • May 15, 2009

I really don't think ANYTHING in that line truly worked. 4H's designed kinda sucked IMO. Figures were less poseable than the originals too, which was an odd choice given the time. Disco Skeletor was arguably the most panned figure of the line and yet, has somehow become the ONLY lasting legacy of that toy line, as it's been remade in many of the newer lines and homage figures.

Ice He-Man was the best thing this line made though.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by ODBJBG
                    I really don't think ANYTHING in that line truly worked. 4H's designed kinda sucked IMO.
                    I think they were too Spawn influenced. The tiny heads, hunched backs, one big boots and ridiculously oversized asymmetrical armor. No way Man at Arms could even stand up with that giant armor on his left shoulder. I think the weakest re-design was He-Man and when your main character doesn't work that's not a good sign. The 2002 designs overall have not aged the greatest.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^They honestly aren't that far removed from the look of Total Justice or G.I. Joe: Extreme, if you think about it. They didn't get as much guff, just because folks were happy to have MOTU back.

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        ^They honestly aren't that far removed from the look of Total Justice or G.I. Joe: Extreme, if you think about it.
                        Yeah they kind of were the last gasp of 90s EXTREME.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

The one thing I really liked about the line was the Shazam-inspired update of Prince Adam. I thought the 'toon was great fun, too.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Some wild decos on some variants, but sculpt wise, the characters never looked better. 200X is my favorite era of MOTU. The cartoon was amazing...miles ahead of the Filmation show in regards to plot, story, and animation. The toys were fun, creative, and amazing updates to familiar classics.
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

The one thing I really liked about the line was the Shazam-inspired update of Prince Adam.
                              I think the design worked better in the toon than as an action figure. The entire design was so obviously heavily umm lets say inspired by Luke Skywalker in Bespin Fatigues. Seriously the darn thing looked more like Mark Hamill than most SW figures did at the time.

I don't love or hate the 2002 cartoon. It was alright. I think the show jumped the shark when they retooled it to MOTU vs the Snake Men. I do think the voice cast did a really nice job and tried their best to sound like the Filmation characters.

Neat bit of trivia: Cam Clarke did record the entire Filmation intro and not just the first few lines they used in the series intro.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎