Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Storybook time!

Share your favorite storybooks.

Here's two of mine.

storybooks.JPG

What's so interesting about these two is they are the first storybooks of the properties and take place very early in their development.

The Adventures of Strawberry Shortcake and Her Friends predates the animated special and is quite different from it. Strawberryland seems to exist inside the human world. The Berrykids are kind of like the Littles or the Borrowers. Drawn as tiny realistic looking children. Not stylized like the cartoon. Custard is in it but drawn sort of realistic and sort of like a rag doll. There is a real cat in story too. Lives at the farm the Berrykids go to to hunt down supplies. There's also Berrybirds but no Purple Pie Man. The illustrations are lovely. It's just kind of odd.

Princess of Power: She-Ra, the Princess of power is like a very condensed version of Secret of the Sword with some changes. The most noticeable change is when Adora changes to She-Ra her tiara is turned upside down and used as a mask. This was dropped very early in development of She-Ra and didn't make it to the cartoon. This was also used in the Princess of Power mini comics. From what I understand using the tiara as a mask was dropped because in play testing Mattel found out girls didn't like the doll's face covered. Another big change is Swift Wind is a girl, hence the pink toy. Swift Wind was changed to a male white horse in the cartoon. The rest of the story more or less follows an abbreviated retelling of Secret of the Sword using the toy designs instead of Filmation designs. Except for Madame Razz and Shadow Weaver, who didn't get toys in the original line, which are based on Filmation.
    Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 20, '20, 11:33 PM.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

And is that Plum Puddin' I see? Too cute.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 20, '20, 11:10 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne
      And is that Plum Puddin' I see? Too cute.
      Yep, Plum is in it.

plum.jpg

You can tell a lot of effort went into the illustrations in the book. Looks like water color.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Was this the only book with the original characters? I recall browsing one in the '80s in this style with the original P.P.

I prefer this much more than the toyetic/toon stuff.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

Was this the only book with the original characters?
          The first several books published by Random House takes place in this reality. The later Parker Brothers books all have the toy/cartoon designs.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

One of my favorite storybooks was a birthday present from my grandmother: Witches, Ghosts, and Goblins by Ruthanna Long, 1974. It's an over-sized hardcover Golden book with painted illustrations, the episodic story of a good witch who enlists the help of a brother, sister, and imp to find her cat.

There's a suggestion at the end that the sister may have dreamt the adventure--or did she, when a kitten appears at her doorstep? This Oz-like quality really appealed to me because I enjoyed the Oz film and books, and I remember working hard to read the Golden book by myself.

A few months ago, I obtained a nice copy from ebay. When I opened it, it had that musty smell I love of old books and I had such a strong rush of nostalgia when I saw the illustrations again. Looking back, I think it was probably the best gift from my grandmother.
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 21, '20, 12:19 AM.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

One of my favorite storybooks was a birthday present from my grandmother: Witches, Ghosts, and Goblins by Ruthanna Long, 1974. It's an over-sized hardcover Golden book with painted illustrations, the episodic story of a good witch who enlists the help of a brother, sister, and imp to find her cat.
              That sounds like a book I would have loved as a child.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

Great idea for a thread! I have that She-Ra book, and MANY of the MOTU books from that same line. I still have all of them. I will have to ask Cindy if she had any of these early Strawberry Shortcake books. I have never heard her mention them once being tiny folk!

Scott's book reminded me of how much I loved Gus Was a Friendly Ghost as a kid. Cindy got me a nice copy and several of the sequels a few years back.

She and I did an episode on Super Hero children's books from our youth on Super Mates many years ago:

The podcast where a certified comic/sci-fi/fantasy geek actually gets his wife to co-host a show with him! Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria! Join Chris and Cindy Franklin on their bi-weekly journey through all things geeky. They'll discuss comics, movies, TV shows, books, toys...anything and everything geeks love to gab about.

My absolute favorite storybook as a child was not surprisingly Batman: From Alfred to Zowie. I practically have the text memorized. You can see our daughter Dani reading it here in a promo image from the show.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I had that "Gus" book, Chris! Scholastic?

There is also a fun one about how to keep classic monsters as "pets."

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

I had that "Gus" book, Chris! Scholastic?

There is also a fun one about how to keep classic monsters as "pets."
                    I'm not sure. I think I had that before I ever went to school. My mom may have got it for me through my older sister's book fair or something though.

I wasn't aware about the classic monsters one! I'll have to look for it!

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• knight errant00
                      8 Inch Action Figure
                      • Nov 15, 2005

These two are books I remember having read to me/reading over and over:

Arty-the-Smarty-Book.jpg Digging-est.jpg

When I started school, these two books from the school library I read over and over really changed how the world looked to me (hey, it was first grade):

Norse.jpg Haunted.png

Comment

• tay666
                        Career Member
                        • Dec 27, 2008

When I was little, my two favorite books to have read to me were
                        Flat Stanley
                        and There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly

When I got older, this was my favorite book.
                        book.jpg

And a few years ago I tracked down a minty copy of it for myself.

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

The one storybook I remember my mom reading me the most was Mr. Pine's Purple House so I'll say that was my favorite storybook.

Comment

• RonnyG
                            Career Member
                            • Apr 23, 2014

Another favorite: I also remember listening and following along to this Peter Pan book and record of Cinderella over and over many times.

Comment

• sprytel
                              Talkative Member
                              • Jun 26, 2009

I'll just leave this one right here...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡