Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

I have watched this movie 8 times already (6 with my boyfriend) and I do not understand what all the hate is for WW2. Its a sequel to a movie that didn't add up in the comic book world anyways.

1st in the original movie, they killed off the Greek Gods so why are the amzons still there? Who is protecting them?

2cd the character who turned out to be Ares just did not fit the role. I have read WW since the 70's so I do get a little upset when they go up against the "facts".

In Wonder Woman 1984 I was upset that they changed up Cheetah origin but all in all its a fun movie to watch. You have to remember this was supposed to be a summer movie or a "popcorn" movie, not to be taken serious. The movie will not be remember for ground-breaking but Cheetah turned out better than I had hoped. The idea of the Invisible Plane did feel like an afterthought.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

^I don’t have any hate for it, the story just didn’t make sense.

For what it’s worth, the first one wasn’t great either, it just waited to fall apart at the end. WW84 fell apart as soon as the wish rock is introduced.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• RonnyG
        Career Member
        • Apr 23, 2014

Finally watched it last night. I thought the action scenes were awesome, and I thought Kristen Wigg gave a good performance. I liked her awkward character and her chemistry with Gal, but the movie kind of dragged on for me. I was getting restless towards the end. The story was simple. They could cut out about 20 minutes and make it a tighter film.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

A week after seeing it, I still don't see what all the fuss is about. Was it a great movie? No, it wasn't. But it was a solid watch and entertaining for me and my family. Some of the action sequences were fantastic. Gadot and Pine were great, Wiig worked the role despite my (and many folks) misgivings on her casting. Pascal isn't as bad as advertised, it's just that his character isn't fleshed out enough to take up that much screen time and story importance.

I think the one thing I would criticize it is that it's tone is uneven. It's got a lighter, Lester-directed-Superman-era feel for the most part, but then there's the real-world consequences of international upheaval and nuclear proliferation mixed in. I get the 80s setting, but I agree they could have had more fun with it, rather than just using Reagan and Cold War aspects.

I do think if feels more like a Wonder Woman type film than the first, with her message of hope saving the day, rather than heretofore unknown god powers vs. a big blue beam, and an unconvincing Ares.

Overall, I would say I liked the first film better overall, but the ending of this one is better.

I just hope that the backlash doesn't translate into the uglier side of Star Wars fandom (you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy) petitioning to have Patty Jenkins removed from Rogue Squadron because of A) Girl cooties and B) The response to this film.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
            Muddling through
            • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by monitor_ep
            I have watched this movie 8 times already (6 with my boyfriend) and I do not understand what all the hate is for WW2. Its a sequel to a movie that didn't add up in the comic book world anyways.
            you just might be this films biggest fan boy, LOL

i didn't hate it but i didn't love it either. at some point i will give it another viewing but I am glad i did not pay money to see it (already had HBOmax)

Comment

• Hector
              el Hombre de Acero
              • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by monitor_ep
              The idea of the Invisible Plane did feel like an afterthought.
              My problem was not the invisible plane, my problem is why would a museum display jet at the Smithsonian have a full tank of jet fuel in the first place, lol. Also, Steve Trevor was a fine WWI pilot, but he automatically knows how to fly a modern jet? And lastly, I’m not aware of any jet fighter capable of non-stop intercontinental flight (America to Middle East), it needs air fueling by an aircraft tanker.

I’d rather accept the invisible plane than those things...

I enjoyed the movie itself, but as I said before, my biggest beef was the lack of 80s music, what a missed opportunity.
              Last edited by Hector; Jan 3, '21, 1:37 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

I don't think anybody here hated or loved the movie. Maybe we've all just become to used to seeing people with opposing views as being on the extreme side of the scale It seems most people here come down a bit on either side of meh.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Hector
                  My problem was not the invisible plane, my problem is why would a museum display jet at the Smithsonian have a full tank of jet fuel in the first place, lol. Also, Steve Trevor was a fine WWII pilot, but he automatically knows how to fly a modern jet? And lastly, I’m not aware of any jet fighter capable of non-stop intercontinental flight (America to Middle East), it needs air fueling by an aircraft tanker.
                  This is what I was talking about when I said the script was cartoony. I found myself questioning multiple scenes in the same fashion: Why did the wish rock make Steve Trevor come back Quantum Leap style as opposed to just showing up as Steve Trevor? Why is WW, the symbol of female empowerment, still pining over the death of Steve 70 years later? And then when it’s time for WW to give up her wish and let him go, he still had to tell her to do it, she didn’t make the decision to do it. On and on...

But kids will love it! The plot holes won’t matter to them.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Plus, you have the (1) invisible plane, (2) the maybe flight/maybe just Spider-Man swinging from lightning bolts, they don't seem quite sure, and (3) the golden armor with wings. They all have varying degrees of ridiculousness, but there was no was no need to introduce three different ways for Diana to fly. Especially when you realize she "learned to fly" just so she could go back to her apartment and put on her flying armor! Armor which would have made a ton of sense while she still had diminished powers, I might add, but she instead chooses to put on after she gets her power back (yet before she learns that Barbara has been transformed into Cheetah). The plot holes and convoluted storytelling really make it feel like the product of multiple rewrites by multiple hands.

Comment

• RonnyG
                      Career Member
                      • Apr 23, 2014

I guess we'll just have to suspend disbelief when watching this, and enjoy the campy ride. It is a movie based on a comic book character after all, and not some historical drama. Some of the comic book stories had plot holes that didn't make complete sense, but we still managed to enjoy them for what they were.

Comment

• hedrap
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost

But kids will love it! The plot holes won’t matter to them.
                        My oldest has had a growing WW shrine since she was born. People have met her at the Meet over the years and would know that's her thing. One of her favorite pieces is the cardback sketch Art did of WW in Wheeling for her. She has watched it all, cartoon or live and read most collections. As she put WW84 "it starts off like the TV show and then it's just bad". I'm gonna take a wild swing and say that's who WB was hoping for, not us: 40-50 y/o dudes who consume anything superhero. To them, it's a given we're showing at some point.

Originally posted by Wee67
                        I don't think anybody here hated or loved the movie. Maybe we've all just become to used to seeing people with opposing views as being on the extreme side of the scale It seems most people here come down a bit on either side of meh.
                        It's the same reaction Shane Black got with The Predator.

It's not a critical eye difference like Batman Returns got, where there are some real interesting ideas and visuals floating about a colorized b/w German expressionist homage. The consensus seems to be Penguin was too damn gross to watch that long.

Some of the effects, like WW running or jumping at the screen/onto the truck, are gawd awful. Apparently the test screening effects for Cheetah were just as bad so WB had those scenes reworked.

For me, it's the editing. 2.5 hours and it just falls apart. The story that WB wanted Jenkins to cut one of the two (!) opening scenes but she refused, says it all. The Olympic contest might be the best sequence in the film and it has nothing to do with anything else. I guess Jenkins thought having Trevor come back was Diana "cheating" because it's something she really wants, but where's the moment showing her realizing that? Instead, it's her as a kid and as an adult being forced to do something she doesn't want to.

My guess is one of those Olympians was supposed to tie into Cheetah thematically. There are certain shots of one female contestant that looks like foreshadowing that was dropped. Probably scenes of jealousy towards Diana to show she's been dealing with it her whole life.

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

I've shied away from commenting because I felt the online vitriol somewhat over the top which seems to be the standard for any DC movie these days, it definitely needed tighter editing and it's plot is far too ambitious but there are nice moments in there and I thought the leads were appealing.

I was truly expecting the Cheetah storyline to be that tired old Jim Carrey Riddler/Jamie Foxx Electro thing but they went to the Michelle Pfeiffer Catwoman routine, which felt less stale.

Overall, Ithought it was ok, I enjoyed it more than many recent Marvel movies but it's not in my top ten or anything.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Hector
                            el Hombre de Acero
                            • May 19, 2003

BTW, I made a typo referring to Steve Trevor as a WWII pilot. Sorry, he’s a Great War/WWI pilot, which is even worse, lol.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Sideshow Spock
                              valar morghulis
                              • Mar 8, 2005

The movie was a mess and a chore to sit through.

Comment

• Hector
                                el Hombre de Acero
                                • May 19, 2003

My favorite YouTuber movie reviewer is The Critical Drinker. He’s Scottish. Check him out, lol...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎