X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
    I think fans wanted Superman 2 , they got Superman 3. Sometimes such odd choices can be entertaining. For it being an 80's theme film they didn't take advantage of putting an early 80's soundtrack in the scenes. Kajagoogoo- too shy would have been a good fit.
    It truly is the soulmate of Superman III. The flat-out campy bad guys, a comedian cast as the villain, technology macguffins, oil wars! Even the magical doppleganger. All that was missing was the Lana Lang sub-plot.

The best parts of 84 is when it plays like an inversion of Forever Young, and they had the elements for that story. My biggest issue is there was no legit reason to set this in the 80's. It actually works in every facet as a 50's period film so I tend to believe that was the original idea, and they they scrapped it just to make the Reagan-Trump analogy.

I raised my oldest on WW. We watched every Carter episode, superfriends, JLU etc...We really liked the first movie and the WW scenes in BVS/JL were always the best parts. But Jenkins and Gadot just got way too much sway this time. Reeves did the same thing with Superman, Raimi and Maguire for Spidey3, RDJ with IM3. By the time actors are working on a third production, they're utterly bored with the part.

And I've said since the Trek reboot: Chris Pine is Hal Jordan and he's the spitting image in 84. I honestly thought at one point that his "new body" was going to turn out to be Hal.

Comment

• jwyblejr
      galactic yo-yo
      • Apr 6, 2006

Warners is saying it's a success and is planning a third.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

So, I watched it. I have to assume this was meant for young children. The story is very cartoony, so much so, it reminded me of an 80’s Spider-Man cartoon. The tone and pace were very uneven. I really enjoyed the parts where it was being playful, like the first 20 minutes or so, but then it fell off a cliff of ridiculousness to where I was laughing at what was happening as opposed to laughing with it.

I had some fun watching it, sometimes MST3K style, but I doubt I would watch it again. I give it a thumbs sideways.
        Last edited by CrimsonGhost; Dec 28, '20, 12:41 AM.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

The movie was... ok? A jumbled ridiculous mess of mediocrity. Frankly, the most entertaining part has been the angry debate over this movie online. Well, second most entertaining part...

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Ok, there’s the one thing that really, really bothered me about WW 84...

NO 80s MUSIC WHATSOEVER...NOT EVEN ONE SONG!!!

What was the point of having it set in 1984 then?

Remember how cool was that very first trailer with New Order’s Blue Monday music? So 80s!

What was Patty Jenkins thinking?

sigpic

Comment

• jwyblejr
              galactic yo-yo
              • Apr 6, 2006

^Maybe Warners didn't want to fork over the extra cash for music rights? Execs seem to do things that would make regular people heads explode.

Comment

• Goblin19
                Talkative Member
                • May 2, 2002

Yeah, they barely use the 80’s trappings at all. Music would have been the most obvious.

Comment

• J.B.
                  Guild Navigator
                  • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                  So, I watched it. I have to assume this was meant for young children. The story is very cartoony, so much so, it reminded me of an 80’s Spider-Man cartoon.
                  That's what I thought, too. I didn't go through every comment on this thread, so I don't know if it was already mentioned, but she was using that Lasso in a Spidey way of swinging around. Don't remember her doing that in the first movie, which I really enjoyed.
                  You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• Hector
                    el Hombre de Acero
                    • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                    ^Maybe Warners didn't want to fork over the extra cash for music rights? Execs seem to do things that would make regular people heads explode.
                    Heck, I’ve seen low budget movies that feature 80s music. New Order’s Blue Monday was on the darn trailer, lol. Many artists from the 80s would love the exposure.
                    sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by jwyblejr
                      WB/ATT have got to have rights to tons of 80s music. Disney had no problem with the music budget for Guardians.
                      You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
                        el Hombre de Acero
                        • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                        WB/ATT have got to have rights to tons of 80s music. Disney had no problem with the music budget for Guardians.
                        Exactly.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                          el Hombre de Acero
                          • May 19, 2003

Remember how awesome the first movie was?

What the heck happened, Patty Jenkins?

sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Guess she ran out of fan films to rip off?
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Goblin19
                              Talkative Member
                              • May 2, 2002

What fan film? I’m curious to see it.

Comment

• Wee67
                                Museum Correspondent
                                • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
                                My biggest issue is there was no legit reason to set this in the 80's. It
                                Agreed. I made this comparison on Facebook-

Wonder Woman 1984 vs Atomic Blonde. I just caught part of Atomic Blonde on FX and thought, "This is how you do an 80s action movie!" Other than jokes about parachute pants, why was WW '84 set in the 80's? Atomic Blonde has a MUCH stronger 80s tone, with lights, outfits and, most importantly, music from the decade. I'm not saying WW '84 should've had an a Cold War storyline, but I do think they could've done a brighter version of the 80s tone. They could've also learned some tips on how to have a kick-*** female lead.
                                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎