Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

Ok, saw it a second time, and I liked it a lot more than the first viewing.

The first viewing I was expecting a movie with more modem sensibilities. That’s why I was initially disappointed. But on the second viewing, I compared it to Superman 78 with Chris Reeve, as they share the same likability and wholesomeness of their respective roles. Both Gal Gadot and Chris Reeve embodied the spirit of Wonder Woman and Superman perfectly.

I mean, we all criticize when superhero movies are too dark and moody, then we criticize when it’s lighthearted and a tad cheesy.

Well, I can enjoy both approaches.

Was it perfect? Of course not, far from it. But you know what? During these trying pandemic times, I escaped for a few hours and enjoyed myself.

It was a fun popcorn movie.

You know what? Since it’s only showing for one month on HBOMax, I’m going to watch it a third time, ha.

Like or hate the movie, Gal Gadot herself is just plain wonderful as WW, period.
    sigpic

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
      Muddling through
      • Oct 4, 2008

i agree with what has been said, not a terrible movie, but not a worthy follow up to the first one. definitely worth watching, if nothing else just for Gal Gadot. the post credit scene was neat but i have no idea who she was supposed to be. i didn't recognize the name

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I think this film felt more like a Wonder Woman movie in many ways. Without getting spoilery, her message of hope is what saved the day, and despite DC constantly putting a sword and a shield in her hands nowadays, that's what the basis of Wonder Woman is. She's meant to be an ambassador of peace and understanding in a chaotic world. It also has a much better ending, since that boss battle with Ares at the end of the original is pretty bad, IMHO.

I liked the homages to the Reeve films, and Jenkins said the first Superman film was big influence on her take last time. I would like to see WB give her a Superman film with Cavill, then we can maybe wash the dour Snyder taste out of our mouths.

We all really enjoyed it here. We're coming off the Christmas cozies, so maybe further viewings will make me take a more critical look at it, but I liked that it wasn't just a repeat of the first, and that the theme was more WW-centric.

My wife squeed like a little girl at that mid credits scene.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Is it just me...or did the kid looked nothing like Pedro Pascal?
          sigpic

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Oh, and anybody else found Kristen Wigg sexy? I think she looked great.
            sigpic

Comment

• hedrap
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 10, 2009

I've seen movies go off the rails before, but this is in the rarefied group of wipeout by the third act. Tonally disjointed with obvious late revisions. A great opening scene that has its theme undercut so the foreshadowing has no real meaning by the end.

It's pretty clear they changed the direction from a story about Wonder Woman and Cheetah with themes of jealousy, patience and sacrifice to make it commentary on Trump via Lord, but by the end there's only an "antagonist" in the context of someone who antagonizes another person.

A superhero movie with no adversary. An 80's backdrop for no purpose. A reliance on "computer technology" macguffin's that's laughably impossible. Over the top criminals and comedy abound. It's the bookend to Superman III.

Comment

• phil
                Persistent Member
                • May 11, 2007

I haven’t seen the movie yet but I am not surprised it’s getting a mixed reaction.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                  HULK SMASH!
                  • Apr 3, 2010

It was... just okay.
                  Gal is great in the role again. And the fight sequences were pretty cool.
                  (And that mid-credits scene sure made me smile.)
                  PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                    Often invisible
                    • Jul 18, 2002

This movie is getting blasted!! I had little interest in it, but now I can’t wait to see what they did!
                    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

^In my opinion, it doesn't deserve it. Is it perfect? No. But I think the anticipation and constant delays built up expectations that could never be met, either.

I enjoyed it. We just watched Soul, and yeah, it's no doubt the better movie of the two big Christmas Day releases. But Pixar is almost always brilliant (except for Cars 2).

Chris
                      sigpic

Comment

• YoungOnce
                        Career Member
                        • Aug 29, 2007

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                        ^I enjoyed it. We just watched Soul, and yeah, it's no doubt the better movie of the two big Christmas Day releases. But Pixar is almost always brilliant (except for Cars 2).
                        Chris
                        I've seen a few places where Soul is getting mixed reviews from folks who said it was kinda boring. Saw where some have said it doesn't have the "kid-appeal" of the other Pixar movies, and is geared toward more mature ideas. I haven't seen it yet, but will give it a watch. My daughter watched it and liked it, so I gotta give it a try.

Hate to hear that WW84 isn't great. I thought the first one was very very entertaining up until the lackluster vanilla boss fight finale.

Comment

• Brue
                          User without title
                          • Sep 29, 2005

It was as OK. It doesn't meet expectations.

Pedro was also in 2011 WW.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                            Permanent Member
                            • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                            This movie is getting blasted!! I had little interest in it, but now I can’t wait to see what they did!
                            I think fans wanted Superman 2 , they got Superman 3. Sometimes such odd choices can be entertaining. For it being an 80's theme film they didn't take advantage of putting an early 80's soundtrack in the scenes. Kajagoogoo- too shy would have been a good fit.

Comment

• Mikey
                              Verbose Member
                              • Aug 9, 2001

Didn't see the movie yet, but i'd watch Gal Gadot in her WW outfit hawking a Ron Popeil pasta maker

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                                Often invisible
                                • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                                I think fans wanted Superman 2 , they got Superman 3. Sometimes such odd choices can be entertaining. For it being an 80's theme film they didn't take advantage of putting an early 80's soundtrack in the scenes. Kajagoogoo- too shy would have been a good fit.
                                So they had low expectations and were still disappointed? Yikes!
                                Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎