X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by alex
    I cant see how movies coming out on this type of platform will make money, its going to be straight U know where for free, before hand U had to wait around for a decent copy, and now its instant.
    it brings in more subscribers and probably takes some away from Netflix or Disney plus.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Hector
      el Hombre de Acero
      • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by enyawd72
      I understand people being upset, but honestly this has been coming for a long time, even before the pandemic. As home theatre becomes more and more popular, with bigger and bigger TVs and Blu-ray, my moviegoing had already seen a major decline.

The closest decent theatre to me is a good 45 minutes away, plus when you factor in the high cost of tickets, and new assigned seating policies, forget it. I don't need to drive nearly two hours, spend almost $50 on tickets and concessions, then be told where I'm going to sit in order to watch a movie. I'll just wait three months, spend $20 on the Blu-ray and plop down in front of my 75 inch screen and enjoy myself a hell of a lot more. No people talking, no screaming kids, and half the price? No wonder theatres are folding.
      Yup, agreed.

I feel for the movie theater employees, I really do. Like our friend here, Goblin19.

But it’s the sign of the times. It was bound to happened anyway, but the pandemic has accelerated the process.

The technology just caught up to the point where our home theater systems rivals some small theaters. We all have the giant flatscreens, the surround sound systems, the Blu-rays, the streaming, etc. And now that WB announced huge big budget films (initially intended for the theaters) are now coming to our homes, well, things are looking rather bleak for movie theaters, at least for the time being.

Yes, I still miss the big movie theater experience. It’s nostalgic. It brings back great memories. Going with friends and family is cool. Yes, it’s expensive. Yes, the concession stand goodies are ridiculously overpriced. The stale popcorn, the flat sodas, the $10 candy boxes that you can get at the Dollar Store for, well, a dollar, lol. My go to movie theater has a full bar, I love their Long Island ice teas, ha. Yeah, it’s a love/hate relationship thing. But I still want to eventually go back to movie theaters. But right now it’s a no-no, not during the pandemic. We have an elderly and very fragile mother. I’m doing everything not to get her infected. I don’t want to pass it to her. I think movie theaters can still survive though. Here’s an interesting article on the subject...

We just have to be patient during these tough times.
      sigpic

Comment

• drquest
        ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
        • Apr 17, 2012

I really enjoy going to a movie theater to watch a movie. My home experience is good, TV and sound wise, but being able to just check out and sit and watch the movie is awesome for me. If I'm home, distractions abound. I really enjoy seeing older movies at the theater as well. Being able to watch Jaws and Back to the Future and many others at the theater is amazing, and I wish they would be able to do that more as well but that seems like a dream now.

Regarding streaming, I think if something comes in people want to watch, such as the new Wonder Woman, they will subscribe to the streaming service, watch it and then drop the service I bet. I have HBO Max, and have watched a few things on it, but if I didn't have it for free I wouldn't subscribe to it I think.
        Danny(Drquest)
        Captain Action HQ
        Retro shirts and stuff
        More retro shirts
        Stuff For Sale

Comment

• powersthatbe
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 27, 2010

things i don't like about going to the movies, people lighting up and checking their phones, some scenes look too dark and hard to make out, figuring a good time to take a bathroom break and not block the screen from people behind you. I hate commercials now you see in the movies and biggest thing for me is the looonnnggg run of previews. also back in the day when you go to the movies you were seeing things like special effect you would never see on television.TV has finally caught up with that part. but at home you get distracted like the phone ringing or something.

Comment

• Hector
            el Hombre de Acero
            • May 19, 2003

Early WW 1984 early reactions...

sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Is it my imagination or is WW's costume brighter/more colorful in this film?

Love that lasso!
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by drquest
                What you're seeing means they don't have it on their Xfininty cable box yet. Your account should allow you to log in to HBO Max on something else. I have several smart TV's with HBO Max, Apple TV's etc.. Firestick from Amazon would work too and connect to your TV and those are $20-$30 and you'd have access to a lot more streaming stuff too, lots of free choices.
                I ordered three Firesticks 4K. I’m getting HBO Max, dammit...

Xfinity does not offer Disney Plus nor CBS Access either. They are losing lots of customers, slow pokes....

I will still keep Xfinity for a while. I will drop their premium package which has HBO though. I will slowly cut the cord, except the Internet, Xfinity has the fastest speeds as far as I know.

Thanks for the advice!

sigpic

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

I don’t have any of the streaming services and don’t know exactly how they work. The film’s cost is reportedly around $200 million. How much money can they realistically expect to make from streaming the film? I can’t imagine the theatrical release generating anything near the money it might under normal conditions.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                    Muddling through
                    • Oct 4, 2008

at $30 a pop with out the theaters getting their cut, they could stand to do pretty well

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
                      I ordered three Firesticks 4K. I’m getting HBO Max, dammit...

Xfinity does not offer Disney Plus nor CBS Access either. They are losing lots of customers, slow pokes....

I will still keep Xfinity for a while. I will drop their premium package which has HBO though. I will slowly cut the cord, except the Internet, Xfinity has the fastest speeds as far as I know.

Thanks for the advice!

if you already have HBO on cable, then max will be free. otherwise it's like $14.99 a month to subscribe

Comment

• phil
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                        at $30 a pop with out the theaters getting their cut, they could stand to do pretty well
                        Each viewing of the movie is $30?

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                          Muddling through
                          • Oct 4, 2008

i think you get it for 24 hours. though i have not actually checked the pricing for this release and have not done any purchases through max. on Disney + you get it for 24 hours i believe. i did an early release on Amazon and I think that was $30 as well

Comment

• drquest
                            ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
                            • Apr 17, 2012

Actually Wonder Woman will be available at no additional cost for HBO Max subscribers, but they did discontinue their free trial.

https://movieweb.com/hbo-max-free-tr...man-1984-deal/

Now I don't see how that translates to any real money to WB as people may sign up, and drop as soon as they watch the movie but I guess they are hoping people will stick around.
                            Danny(Drquest)
                            Captain Action HQ
                            Retro shirts and stuff
                            More retro shirts
                            Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

interesting. maybe that was what the upgrade last week was about. all of a sudden the app i had to install through a side door no longer worked. took a while to get a new download that worked

Comment

• thunderbolt
                                Hi Ernie!!!
                                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Nostalgiabuff
                                i think you get it for 24 hours. though i have not actually checked the pricing for this release and have not done any purchases through max. on Disney + you get it for 24 hours i believe. i did an early release on Amazon and I think that was $30 as well
                                Disney Plus has done exactly one pay per view Mulan and that is already coming to included streaming this month.
                                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎