Buying some TOYS? Use these nifty links to help support the Mego Museum!

Support the Museum! Buy toys!
ReMegos @ Entertainment Earth | Megos on eBay | Amazon USA | Amazon UK | Amazon Canada

Running the Museum isn't cheap, and we could use your help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney refusing to pay Alan Dean Foster royalties for Star Wars, Alien books

Disney refusing to pay Alan Dean Foster royalties for Star Wars, Alien books

https://www.sfwa.org/2020/11/18/disney-must-pay/

In short, when Disney acquired Lucasfilm and Fox Studios, they acquired the rights to Foster's novelizations of the films and sequels like Splinter of the Mind's Eye. They have kept the books in print, but not paid Foster any royalties. Their argument seems to be they acquired the rights to the products but not the former owners liabilities for the products (such as paying creators money owed for creating such products), which amounts to a load of crap essentially. Disney has ignored attempts to communicate about the issue form Foster, his agent and representation and the SFWA (Science Fiction Writers of America), so now the SFWA is going public to see if other authors have similar experiences with Disney (possibly a prelude for a class action lawsuit?).

The linked article is to the SFWA page and includes Foster's open letter to Disney.

-M

Blog Entries
    The idea that this isn't their liability is actually legally baffling. This is calculated, it's probably not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things and figure he won't spend the money to fight for it. This is corporate greed at it's worst and it's wrong.

Images
    That's disgraceful. I hope Foster is successful in fighting this.
    http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_T7BhcH-_Lqw/Rph52zHLjQI/AAAAAAAAAWY/IRQJUp3saOs/s200/Hulk.jpg

Looking for one CAH Mego Comic Activator (working or non working).

I couldn’t be less shocked.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Images
    that's really f'd up. Disney really needs to do the right thing here

Images
    I think the company has already taken a public relations hit lately for laying of 28,000 employees while also announcing a billion in investments in new rides and amusements for the parks. Heard some details on all that on the Len Testa/Jim Hill podcast... can't remember the article he sited.

This company is such a behemoth now, they have to have the sense that they are invulnerable.

If Disney thinks a sale/purchase ends liabilities and monies owed, I hope someone licenses a bunch of Disney stuff then sells their company to someone else who continues to use the license for Disney properties without paying Disney for it, just to see how Disney's lawyers would react to that.

-M

There is sort of precedent for this (it IS scummy by the way) but WWE does this with performers who worked in other companies that they've since bought, such as WCW and ECW. Certain performers were guaranteed royalties in WCW events, etc, if ever rebroadcast but WWE has won legal battles that basically they don't have to pay those since they bought the companies. So I'm sure Disney feels they have the same rights.

It's really rotten business practice and to the surprise of no one, it's always huge gigantic mega corporations who have tons of money to spare who try to do this.

I doubt Foster is the only person being treated like this by Disney.

Seems like a good reason to not support any Disney products. I'm glad they are loosing millions and millions of dollars. Maybe even billions.