X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
    Where were you people when FTC’s Batman ‘66 came out?!??!
    For the most part the 66 Line is ok headwise. Shame is a little outta whack. Now Solomon Kane and Luthor those are messed big.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Timothy2251
      Jerks beef with Ten Bears
      • Mar 15, 2008

Sometimes a body switch out helps. I've put some of the larger FTC heads on Doc Mego's swivel arm body and as it's slightly larger than an FTC body, it makes the head look in better proportion. Same deal with the Type S body - heads look a bit better on a slightly larger body.
      "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I think, too that the soft-goods can balance out head-scale.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• scott metzger
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 9, 2007

Originally posted by sprytel
          This seems like a broad generalization. Many of the Mego heads are just perfect. Some have run a little large... and I guess I would put the Superman in that category... but I feel that none have been disturbingly so. Of course this topic is very subjective, so I am sure reasonable people could still disagree.
          It was actually quite rare in the vintage Mego line. The 3 Chips figures, Dobey and Huggy Bear, the "I Scare Little Children" Daisy Duke. Thor might have been a tad big, but it's honestly debatable. I can't really point to any others that are notably bulbous. It's much worse these days across many lines. I noticed when trying to use the Al Bundy head for a custom that it's oversized, and I hadn't really noticed until I tried to put a super-hero costume on it. Supes DEFINITELY looks noticably big; I'm actually looking at it as a possible head to use on 9.5" Maxx FX bodies (which is useful, but not as much as being able to use it on 8" figures). And it's inconsistent. Tony Nelson from the new line is perfect, and most of the females seem to be, as well. But others like Al and Supes wind up macroencephalic. I don't understand how it happens so much.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
            Often invisible
            • Jul 18, 2002

I mean, there is an explanation, at least for the ones I worked on, but I signed an NDA, so I won’t be giving any explanations. But I think I can say that I have made every head I’ve worked on the size I was told to make it. I try to be diligent about it, but I can’t control what happens after I send in my sculpts.
            Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• TheVintageToyKid
              Career Member
              • Jul 23, 2019

I made a custom Mr. Miracle using a bald head from CTVT. It may be a Luthor head but I'm not 100 per cent sure. Anyway, when I put the figure together he looked OK to me, but when I put him on the shelf next to my other figures his head appears so large in comparison.
              "I thought they didn't allow no bathin' suits in here."

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

It's unfortunate when it happens to an otherwise great figure. Superman is painful to look at, but he's a great figure except for that. Shame.

They've done decent with this thus far, but when it strikes it hurts. BBP, CTVT and all the others have had the same issues. Not sure why.

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                  Radioactive!
                  • Feb 13, 2010

I don't know---I positioned the capes around the shoulders of Superman and Batman in such a way that, to my eyes, mitigates the head size to where it works fine for me. YMMV

Comment

• alex
                    Permanent Member
                    • Jun 15, 2009

Im not really a complainer about heads, these arent hot toys, and so arent the prices, but looking at the new Christopher Lee figure, his head looks a bit largish, maybe just the angles the pictures were taken?

Comment

• cooperdraw
                      • Nov 26, 2019

I'm really bummed about the new Captain Pike. That head sculpt is really nice, but again it is disproportionately large. Are these supposed to be like that? Maybe it's a style choice to make them seem like caricatures? I thought it might be an isolated instance, but it looks like a trend. I usually buy most of the new stuff, but I can't preorder these sight unseen anymore if this is the norm.

Here's some info I dug up on human proportions...

"The average adult human is technically seven-and-one-half heads tall, but the artistic standard for average height is generally rounded up to eight heads."

And here is the breakdown on Pike...

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                        Often invisible
                        • Jul 18, 2002

Ah, covid has been fun, right everybody?
                        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• wise guy
                          Career Member
                          • Dec 29, 2014

Covid is not real fun since I will put on full PPE this morning, and go into the Hot zone and work with covid positive patients, some of which might die.

Comment

• palitoy
                            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                            • Jun 16, 2001

Buy what you like!
                            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                              Eloquent Member
                              • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by wise guy
                              Covid is not real fun since I will put on full PPE this morning, and go into the Hot zone and work with covid positive patients, some of which might die.
                              Thank you for being a real hero!

Comment

• MIB41
                                Eloquent Member
                                • Sep 25, 2005

The thing I love about this scale is there are so many techniques and materials available to customize a figure to your liking. So I'm never without a solution if I want to make changes. Sometimes that's the fun of it.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎