Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cooperdraw
    • Nov 26, 2019

Large Heads on New Mego

Is it me or do all the heads on these new figures look slightly large? Don't get me wrong. The sculpts look great they just seem a tad out of proportion. I really noticed it with the newer waves starting with the Meijer Superheroes (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman) and Wonka. When they were announced I read that they were large because they were prototypes, but they don't seem to have been adjusted for the final versions. I thought it might just be the pictures I saw, but when I got them in hand it seems like the head is a totally different scale from the rest of the figure. It's kind of a bummer. I apologize if it has, but I haven't seen anyone else bring this up. Is it just me? What do you guys think?
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

There's always a juggling act with head scales with ReMego, it seems. BBP was noted for large noggins. To me, Hyde (the latest one I have) seemed fine. Isn't WW a reissue head--Piper sculpt?

Now that I've discovered naphtha, better-scaled heads are just a soak away.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
      Maker & Whatnot
      • Aug 8, 2012

I contest this accusation, the Fly's head is not too big!

Comment

• Krypt0nite
        Radioactive!
        • Feb 13, 2010

I think it depends upon your frame of reference. If your point of reference is the classic Mego super-heroes, then the Meijer heads are going to seem big. That said, the new Superman and Batman look great displayed together.

Comment

• cooperdraw
          • Nov 26, 2019

I have the Hyde figure too and I agree. That one is totally fine. The WW didn't really bother me either, but the Superman and Batman are definitely too large IMO.

I've never heard of using naphtha. Does that really work?

Comment

• cooperdraw
            • Nov 26, 2019

That is definitely my frame of reference :D

They do look nice.

Comment

• cooperdraw
              • Nov 26, 2019

LOL

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by cooperdraw
                I have the Hyde figure too and I agree. That one is totally fine. The WW didn't really bother me either, but the Superman and Batman are definitely too large IMO.

I've never heard of using naphtha. Does that really work?
                Yes indeed, there are several threads here about it. A two-day soak (in my experience) will shrink an overlarge vinyl head slightly and it doesn't affect the paint.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Where were you people when FTC’s Batman ‘66 came out?!??!
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

^To be fair, I've been *****ing about FTC for ten years, including head scale. Heck, I was threatened over it.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                      Eloquent Member
                      • Jan 19, 2008

Yeah, the heads are running large. Pretty common nowadays.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

Anyone ever see a vintage 12” mego Captain America?! Just sayin ain’t nuthin new.
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Krypt0nite
                          Radioactive!
                          • Feb 13, 2010

My view on oversized heads has softened over time. When FTC started their retro figures, I viewed them as a way to add new characters to my vintage Mego line up, and really disliked it when the new heads were out of scale with my vintage ones. As time has passed, and I have many more FTC and new Mego figures than vintage in my collection, my idea of scale has changed and the 'average' head size has increased a bit.

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

This seems like a broad generalization. Many of the Mego heads are just perfect. Some have run a little large... and I guess I would put the Superman in that category... but I feel that none have been disturbingly so. Of course this topic is very subjective, so I am sure reasonable people could still disagree.

Comment

• GlobalObserver
                              Persistent Member
                              • Aug 12, 2004

Wonkas head looks in proper scale to me.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎