Mego Willy Wonka First Look!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • headache
    • Jul 11, 2019

What an absolutely FUN figure! I was worried that Mego would go with the Johnny Depp version. Thankfully it's Gene Wilder at his Willy Wonka wildest! Yes, I'll get this one. Since Oompa Loompas would be half-size figures, do you think they'd package it as 2 figures in 1?!

Why is it some figures look so close to the actor, and some are no where near them? Wonka/Wilder looks fantastic. Data looks fantastic. Picard ain't so great. Passable. I did pick up both Data and Picard. The Khan/Montelban looks great, too. I also bought that. Finally found Megos at the nearest Walmart, but only three figures. Hannibal, Picard and the character from "ST-Discover". Was hoping for more choices than that.

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

Loved the Depp version, but agree Gene was the way to go.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by headache
        Why is it some figures look so close to the actor, and some are no where near them? Wonka/Wilder looks fantastic. Data looks fantastic. Picard ain't so great. Passable. I did pick up both Data and Picard. The Khan/Montelban looks great, too.
        What can I say? **** happens.
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
          What can I say? **** happens.
          I have to say, his kidneys look a little off to me, but nice job on the duodenum. You can't really have a good jejunum with a decent duodenum.
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Meule
            Verbose Member
            • Nov 14, 2004

Very impressive indeed, and so are the diorama's
            "...The agony of my soul found vent in one loud, long and final scream of despair..." - Edgar Allan Poe

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by tatsunokofan
              Hi all!

Another great looking figure! They did a fantastic job in capturing Gene Wilder's likeness!

I am curious, though, where the cane he's shown holding in one of the photos came from? I don't see it in the packaged version, so I'm assuming it's an add-on someone gave him for the photo shoot, but it goes great with the figure. Anyone here recognize it, and know where it can be found?

James
              I'd like to know about the cane, too. Does it come with the figure? If not, where can one buy it?

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I assumed it was a CTVT Evel Knieval cane, but I see now that it's more ornate with a larger knob.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Feb 6, '21, 11:27 AM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

There's excellent documentation on Wilder's original; looks easy enough to make something close to it too.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                    Veteran Member
                    • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Confessional
                    There's excellent documentation on Wilder's original; looks easy enough to make something close to it too.
                    Now that I look at Wilder's original through vintage photos on the web, I see the one used in the photoshoot shown in this thread looks nothing like the original. Also, I looked at Classic tv toys site and didn't see a figure cane like Wilder's. If anyone finds one, please let us know.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• headache
                      • Jul 11, 2019

I finally got my Willy! Ordered him online and he showed up yesterday. Happened to look out the window and saw him hobbling up the sidewalk. Made me feel sort of sad at first. Especially when he started to fall over, but then he turned the fall into a full tumble-through and sprang up, smiling! Such a trickster. AWESOME!

Plus+ I had no idea he's a Scratch 'N Sniff! Smells just like Sweet Tarts! INCREDIBLE! (Makes me REALLY hope for that Augustus Gloop figure now. Mmmmm. Watery Chocolate!)

Didn't know where to put him in my display as he doesn't quite fit in with any of the others. I decided to have him "stand-in" as the Doctor in my Doctor Who 8 inch action figure collection. I've got Morbius, Sutek, Leela and the others. But no actual Doctor. Willy looks great standing with Leela, taking on the Mangled Master, Sontaran and others. And that outfit he's wearing is actually very Doctor Who-ish!

Comment

• Falstaff13
                        Persistent Member
                        • May 28, 2008

Originally posted by headache
                        I decided to have him "stand-in" as the Doctor in my Doctor Who 8 inch action figure collection. I've got Morbius, Sutek, Leela and the others. But no actual Doctor. Willy looks great standing with Leela, taking on the Mangled Master, Sontaran and others. And that outfit he's wearing is actually very Doctor Who-ish!
                        I always thought Gene Wilder might be one of the few Americans who'd make a good Doctor.
                        Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                        Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 15, 2010

Did anyone ever find an authentic cane to go with the Mego Willy Wonka figure? Now that I got the figure at Walmart, I want some accessories!

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by Barnabas Collins
                            Did anyone ever find an authentic cane to go with the Mego Willy Wonka figure? Now that I got the figure at Walmart, I want some accessories!

Barnabas Collins
                            I used a medium-sized wooden skewer, trimmed it down to size, and gave it a little paint. It looks good enough for me.

Or you could probably use the CTVT Evel Knievel cane with a minor repaint.

You never really get a great look at in the movie. What detail there is on the cane, it is usually out of sight under Wilder's hand. So I felt a dark shaft with a white top was close enough for me.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                              Master of Fowl Play
                              • Jun 5, 2008

I think the Evel walking stick is nice for Wonka or Hyde.
                              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 15, 2010

Hi. Thanks for replies. I saw what Classic Toys had a few months ago, and it's really nothing like the classic Wonka cane, but I may have to settle.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎