Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The mystery of "Wonder Bread" He-Man finally solved.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

The mystery of "Wonder Bread" He-Man finally solved.

Toyguru puts the mystery to rest with a letter to Mattel from 1983. It had nothing to do with Wonder Bread. It is a real figure and was made by Mattel.

Skip ahead to 10:50 the video takes a long time to get to the point.

Scott ToyGuru Neitlich uncovers new hard evidence conclusively solving the Wonder Bread He-Man mystery. Is it a bootleg? A foreign release? Or a Mattel produ...

Long story short the figure was, as long speculated, part of Mattel's buy 3 get 1 free mail in promotion. Kids did not get a random figure from the offer. They only got the brown haired He-Man figure. The figure did not come with any accessories.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Very interesting--thanks!

Wouldn't it be awesome if Mattel repeated this promotion for Origins?

Have collectors given this figure a name and history?
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 11, '20, 6:19 PM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by PNGwynne

Have collectors given this figure a name and history?
      From what I remember it's been called Wonder Bread He-Man since dial up days because people speculated it was part of the MOTU Wonder Bread promotion. Which was only trading cards. There was also A Nestle Quik MOTU promotion but fans never called it nesquik He-Man oddly enough. The Wonder Bread thing just kind of stuck. Since MOTUC I think it's been only Savage He-Man or Wun-Dar.
      Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 12, '20, 12:18 PM.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

lol I like Wun-Dar, though now it's irrelevant.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Tri-Power He-Man for a new name?

This was fascinating! I agree that letter is the "smoking gun" that finally solves this case.

Thanks for sharing!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris

This was fascinating! I agree that letter is the "smoking gun" that finally solves this case.
            I really liked the back and forth internal memos from Mattel discussing they should have been clearer kids would receive a special edition He-Man figure and not a random Masters of the Universe one. It was also really nice of Mattel to send her two new figures as an apology. The mother's letter to Mattel also proves the figure came with no chest armor and no weapons. It did not come with the weapon pack Zodac armor or the maroon weapons that were included some Man E Faces figures.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

Is the nightmare finally over?
              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                Is the nightmare finally over?
                Very soon.

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I honestly hated it when one of these got posted in our Vintage Toys group on FB, it started a cacophony. Some people think the whole thing is fake and wow, do they have time and energy.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Amazing that a letter from a Karen of the 80s solved the greatest toy mystery this side of Mego's Mystery Astronaut/Pilot.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

This closes a long chapter in MOTU lore.

I wonder (no pun intended) if they'll keep the name Wun-Dar or call him something new?
                      What's really funny is the Classics version has the red, yellow, and blue Wonder Bread dots on it, which are now incorrect.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I got mine ages ago before things went absolutely crazy. But even back then there were already scammers posting blurry photos of MOTU beater lots with repainted He-Man figures to trick people. I think that might have helped spread the rumor all the figures were fakes.

Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 12, '20, 12:17 PM. Reason: typos

Comment

• palitoy
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Yeah I never had any input on any of it. Just a noncollecting casual observer, I'm elated to see it resolved.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

Nice to finally have closure.
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 24, 2020

finally a mystery wrapped in a twinkie gets closure

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎